Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psyx

GRAF G735 Overload vs Graf 707s

Hey guys, first post here, so sorry if this is not in the right spot.

I was looking online for some reviews of the GRAF G735 Overloads but could only find 1-2. The skate isn't that pricey compared to some of the better Bauer and CCM models, so wondering if anyone here can shed any light on the quality of them and to what kind of skater these would be good for. I have a pair of 707's that I've had for close to 15 years and am reluctant to get rid of them but they're starting to fall apart, and I'm looking to make a smooth transition into another skate. I'd consider myself an advanced skater and I'm not too knowledgable about the skates these days but don't want something that is lower end.

Thanks for any input at all!

There is nothing like that today. Most of the skates are designed to limit ankle flex contrary to Graf 707. Graf is in uncertain business state here in USA and new production skates are basically non-existent. You should email to grafskates.ch support or to Mike at Vaughn hockey and ask which of the available models has similar fit to 707. This forum is for the most parts against Graf and you may get conflicting info. I have peakspeed pk3300 and they are awesome to me. You also should concider the same family of  holders as the skates you have now as this is often a big factor.

2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

There is nothing like that today. Most of the skates are designed to limit ankle flex contrary to Graf 707. Graf is in uncertain business state here in USA and new production skates are basically non-existent. You should email to grafskates.ch support or to Mike at Vaughn hockey and ask which of the available models has similar fit to 707. This forum is for the most parts against Graf and you may get conflicting info. I have peakspeed pk3300 and they are awesome to me. You also should concider the same family of  holders as the skates you have now as this is often a big factor.

Cool thanks for this info. I hadn't actually been aware that Graf went out of business in Canada until after I posted this, but there will still be some skates around. I do like the forward tilt on the skates. 

I looked up the peakspeed, and I will keep an eye out for those to see if I can try on a pair. What kind of holders do those have? they don't seem to look like the Cobras. Also, if Graf is gone out of business is it going to be a pain to get replacement steels for the cobra holders?

37 minutes ago, Troubadour said:

And it had to do with poor business decisions, not because they made bad skates... 

Sure I guess if you put bad skates and good skates made poorly into different categories. Their QC was pretty bad by the end.

12 hours ago, psyx said:

Cool thanks for this info. I hadn't actually been aware that Graf went out of business in Canada until after I posted this, but there will still be some skates around. I do like the forward tilt on the skates. 

I looked up the peakspeed, and I will keep an eye out for those to see if I can try on a pair. What kind of holders do those have? they don't seem to look like the Cobras. Also, if Graf is gone out of business is it going to be a pain to get replacement steels for the cobra holders?

PK4400 has Cobra NT3000

PK7700 has Cobra UL5000

PK3300 comes with other NT3000 or Seven97 aka Attack holder. Mine are with NT3000. I have skated on Seven97 and they feel as ridged as NT3000, but it is nearly impossible to find replacement runners for those. The NT3000 runners fit into Seven97 but on books, Graf says they are not interchangeable. I am pretty sure you will love PK skates once you hold them in your hands. They are very light and do not get heavy with sweat. PKs also have reduced runner radius comparing to other Graf models.

I bought these skates as my first pair of ice hockey skates a couple of months ago (coming from inline hockey) and have been happy with them so far.  I did get them at a blowout price but have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the skate and love the fit as well.  I am coming out of Mission Inhalers (Bauer Supreme) but would say these have lower volume and may be similar to Bauer Vapors.  How they compare to you 707's I don't know, but there are a few Graf fit comparison charts online to help you out.

Yeah, I think the current 709s are going to be the closest fit to your 707s.  The 735s have a wide/narrow fit, that does not look like it will match up well to the fit you are used to and enjoy. Never mind the whole hinged upper thing that I don't think they are making any more.  Maybe the Swiss company still makes them.  Or you can special order them.  But obviously that won't be at close-out pricing. 

Thanks for the detailed and helpful replies and for that chart. I do want something a little more updated, and while the 707 does fit me well in most aspects I'm not a big fan of the hinged upper thing. I actually have been taping my ankles for as long as I can remember because of that, which I'm sure takes away the purpose of it. But after 10+ years in the same skates I just don't want to have a huge adjustment to something else. I'd like something a little more stiff but something that is still pitched forward like I currently have ( but I guess this can be manipulated with any skate). 

I only play about twice a week. I'd be open to another brand. Perhaps I'll have to try some on and really see for myself. Some of the Graf's mentioned in here and the one's I mentioned do look great but not for the price I'd have to pay to import them as there don't seem to be many around where I am at the moment or even online.

21 minutes ago, psyx said:

Thanks for the detailed and helpful replies and for that chart. I do want something a little more updated, and while the 707 does fit me well in most aspects I'm not a big fan of the hinged upper thing. I actually have been taping my ankles for as long as I can remember because of that, which I'm sure takes away the purpose of it. But after 10+ years in the same skates I just don't want to have a huge adjustment to something else. I'd like something a little more stiff but something that is still pitched forward like I currently have ( but I guess this can be manipulated with any skate). 

I only play about twice a week. I'd be open to another brand. Perhaps I'll have to try some on and really see for myself. Some of the Graf's mentioned in here and the one's I mentioned do look great but not for the price I'd have to pay to import them as there don't seem to be many around where I am at the moment or even online.

Hence, you are running into the issue with being a Graf fan these days.  Besides the QC issues already mentioned, they just don't have the market share and marketing to allow them to compete with Bauer and CCM (we can leave the chicken vs. egg debate on this for another day). 

Given Graf's description of the boot you are currently in, it sounds like maybe the Bauer Nexus line might be a good alternative.  Not sure about all the technical specs (pitch/profile/etc.) so those might need to be modified, but it sounds like the boot dimensions could be a match for your foot.  And I think CCM has changed the fit of the Tacks and Jetspeeds, so I forget which one is the widest there.  I think it is still the Tacks, but don't quote me there.