Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

True stick damage / issue

Howdy,

Never had to wonder about a manufacturer defect on a stick before.  Noticed this when I was retaping my True A4.5 tonight:

true.jpg

Stick was bought on 11/30/2016, so I'm presumably screwed on warranty either way?

Used the stick tonight and didn't notice it feeling weird, but that's a fairly deep (like 1/8" or so) void in the shaft... Something to worry about or ??

Mark

Howdy,

6 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Looks like either a slash or a skate hit it

Something like that surely must have happened to open it up, but that area looks to be a an air bubble / pocket or something.  The resin at the bottom of the area is glossy / wasn't connected to the shaft that was above it.

Mark

This happened frequently with the half dozen A-series True sticks I've had. The good news is it doesn't seem to affect the durability to much (if at all). Just continue using it as normal and try not to worry about it.

It happened  to me too with my A5.2 SBP, not this bad though but same area. I got creative with some Carbon fiber shavings, JB Weld, sandpaper and matte black Krylon. Yes, this was probably overkill, but it worked like a charm.

I have the same type of damage on my A5.2. It's all beat up but still kicking. I'm actually surprised how it's still holding up. The physical appearance must be worse than the actual integrity. 

Interesting. We have a True rep on here, don't we? I wonder if its a known issue. If it doesn't affect performance that's fantastic, but its still something they should probably look at fixing if they aren't already aware of it. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting. We have a True rep on here, don't we? I wonder if its a known issue. If it doesn't affect performance that's fantastic, but its still something they should probably look at fixing if they aren't already aware of it. 

I believe it's known to True. Zac911 is his username I believe. He chimes in from time to time on MSH.

We don't consider this to be a problem at this point as Some chipping and surface cuts come up from time to time on the sticks, But as others have said most of the time the stick last a decent time after noticing the chips. If you want to PM me to discuss further feel free.

Thanks,

Jason

On 1/16/2017 at 1:39 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

Never had to wonder about a manufacturer defect on a stick before.  Noticed this when I was retaping my True A4.5 tonight:

true.jpg

Stick was bought on 11/30/2016, so I'm presumably screwed on warranty either way?

Used the stick tonight and didn't notice it feeling weird, but that's a fairly deep (like 1/8" or so) void in the shaft... Something to worry about or ??

Mark

If you want to seal the damage and possibly strengthen the shaft at that point, I've had good luck with West Systems G Flex epoxy.  I've used it mostly on the blades, but it has help up well enough that I think it would work here too.

Howdy,

1 hour ago, jdksaves said:

We don't consider this to be a problem at this point as Some chipping and surface cuts come up from time to time on the sticks, But as others have said most of the time the stick last a decent time after noticing the chips. If you want to PM me to discuss further feel free.

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks.  With a bunch of people saying "Yep, happens, doesn't seem to affect durability" I just covered it up with some black tape and will keep playing it.  :-)

Mark

Similar thing happened on my A5.2 (much less severe than pictured). Like others have said already, I didn't notice a difference to how the stick played and I continued to use it until the blade went soft/broke down.

my original A series 5.2 had lots of chipping from day 1 but as others have mentioned, it did not affect performance. my SBP 5.2 has less, i'm wondering if they made a point to improve this?

also, my buddy's SBP 4.5 got stepped on and looks a little worse than OP's stick and it hasn't effected his game at all (scoring in bunches right now)