Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

"streamlined" pants for goalies?!?

2/4 is the date that the NHL has given goalies to make the switch to the new "streamlined" pants. While this was announced over the summer, I find it interesting that the change would come mid season like this. Not sure why they wouldn't implement it next season or why the change, period. From what I have read, they have less leg circumference as well as being shorter. Sounds like like more opportunity for injury all in the name of more 5 hole goals? Thoughts?

Have you ever seen a goalie in his pants without a shirt? They swim in those things and buy the largest size possible all just to take up net space from 5 hole and along the hips.

4 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Have you ever seen a goalie in his pants without a shirt? They swim in those things and buy the largest size possible all just to take up net space from 5 hole and along the hips.

Warrior figured this out so their pants are all the same size width wise, and only changed how long the legs are. So it is definitely a problem.

I have XL pants because my jock is too big and ripped those at the seams... I think I'll wait on a new pair until the changes get passed down to retail.

Dubnyk from the Wild is apparently not happy with his new style pants yet.  There was an article in the Tribune yesterday saying he was still working with the manufacturer.  So that 2/4 date might be in jeopardy.

34 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I have, and I don't disagree with what you are saying.

I think the fact that the NHL decided to make the change mid season verses the start of the 17'-18' season was / is bad move. Give guys the chance to get used to the new fit in the offseason.  It will be interesting to see how guys like Dubnyk (who is not in favor the change) play the rest of the season and how or if it affects their game.

It was originally supposed to be at the start of this season but it got pushed back to now. The only goalie I've ever heard in favor of shrinking goalie equipment was Martin Brodeur, and that was because he was the only one that didn't push the limits on size restrictions.

They were talking on HockeyCentral yesterday how strict the rules were and how difficult of a time the manufacturers were having. They're measuring the plastic inserts or something crazy like that in the pants.

Garret Sparks wrote a post about how much he likes the new pants and how much more mobility he has now, despite actually FEELING like they're even bigger than before. I'll try to dig up the link

That date is not in jeopardy.  This was supposed to be done before the season, but the manufacturers and goalies had problems (and probably dragged their feet a little), so the NHL extended it.  They will have the All-Star break to get into the new pants and work with them.  That's why the date is what it is.  All but 8 goalies will have a week to work out the new gear with no games.

The pants are smaller in just about every area, except length.  The legs are smaller and rounder.  The waist is now tied to the player's waist size, I believe.  This is a good start for slimming down goalie gear.  I know Marty is in favor, and most of these changes are coming from the recommendation of Corey Hirsch.  I play goalie.  My Medium size Bauer pants are 3 inches wider on each side than my waist.  They have an internal belt to make the waist fit like it should (internal belts are illegal inthe NHL).  Other than the need for increased padding, why should my goalie pants fit 2 sizes larger than my player pants?  The next change will be to the chest protectors (this offseason I believe).  The same thing is going to happen, they will become rounder and more closely follow the goalie's actual body.  Again, using my gear, the arms are a gigantic cube that goes off my arm by at least in inch on all sides.  Then there is a tighter fitting, contoured plate under that.  The shoulders are two inches above my actual shoulders, and two inches wider also.  Other than the need for extra protection, which is substantial in the chest protector, why should they cover twice as much as my player shoulders and elbows?  Using molded plastics (like my unit has) or carbon fiber plates (like the Bauer 1S) they can make the arms, elbows, and shoulders more closely fit to the player while being just as, if not more, protective.

I know Sparks said he likes the new pants.  There are some goalies that are going to because they are wearing pants so oversized that it is hindering their mobility.  But I'm going to imagine that most goalies affected by this change are going to be negatively affected.  Most are not wearing ridiculously oversized pants.  They're big, but that's in the cut of the size.  There are likely not many goalies who are wearing pants that are labelled two sizes bigger than they need.  In other words, a goalie who needs a medium isn't wearing a pant labelled XL.  The medium is just bigger than it should be.  These goalies are going to see their coverage shrink without much gain in mobility.  The guys who are intentionally wearing pants two sizes or more too big, are probably going to see an improvement.  Maybe Sparks was in that camp.  Garrett was outspoken against these changes from the beginning.  His involvement in GGSU gave him an outlet for his thoughts, and regular goalies a connection to a pro.  I read his review of the new pants.  And while I don't doubt it was genuine and based on his real experiences, it did feel like more of an editorial on the changes as a whole.  Given his previous comments on the changes that wouldn't be surprising.  So I'd take commentary with a grain of salt.  I don't know that his experience will be indicative of all, or even most, other goalies.

Wasn't it him that was behind the article last year that these changes came from?  I'd imagine if he wrote that article and came up with those ideas that they would consult him.

The ideas were floated around before* he was an analyst. He just came up with some awful cgi to show on Sportsnet.

I know this is for a UA photoshoot, so it may not be definitive but it gives an idea of how players pants vs. goalie pants currently fit

150928_WRLD_HCKY_Baselayer?wid=1200&fmt=

Good pic for comparison.  I don't think it shows just how big goalie pants are either.  Price is pretty much not wearing the pants in order to show off the UA name on the waistband.  Those pants would have 2-3" of room on each side if they were pulled up all the way.

On 1/19/2017 at 4:05 PM, Hills said:

Warrior figured this out so their pants are all the same size width wise, and only changed how long the legs are. So it is definitely a problem.

I have XL pants because my jock is too big and ripped those at the seams... I think I'll wait on a new pair until the changes get passed down to retail.

C'mon. Your jock is too big? You've been just dying for a post where you could write that. I bet you go around to every hockey forum writing that. Shit I bet you have the t-shirt. 

1 hour ago, HarpGuy said:

C'mon. Your jock is too big? You've been just dying for a post where you could write that. I bet you go around to every hockey forum writing that. Shit I bet you have the t-shirt. 

I have a goalie jock I can't use because it won't fit in my pants. Get over yourself. 

On 3/3/2017 at 11:27 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I have a goalie jock I can't use because it won't fit in my pants. Get over yourself. 

Damn dude. Learn how to take a joke. 

Ah, so he's one of those "I'm going to say something really obnoxious and then say it's a joke when people think you're being an idiot" kind of guys. 

Howdy,

30 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Ah, so he's one of those "I'm going to say something really obnoxious and then say it's a joke when people think you're being an idiot" kind of guys. 

Seemed to be pretty clearly a joke when I read it and I thought it was reasonably funny.

FWIW.  I don't know of any history though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Mark

14 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Seemed to be pretty clearly a joke when I read it and I thought it was reasonably funny.

FWIW.  I don't know of any history though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Mark

Yea you need the context :)

... at the end of the day though, it looks like smaller pants do not make that much difference. Games on average appear to be pretty tight score.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yea you need the context :)

What context? This is all in this single page thread. I'm sorry if I offended you. 

I didn't know you were a goalie, or used a goalie jock. 

36 minutes ago, HarpGuy said:

What context? This is all in this single page thread. I'm sorry if I offended you. 

I didn't know you were a goalie, or used a goalie jock. 

Both of us complaining about jocks that are too large are :)

Just so you get an idea, here's how ridiculously massive it is:

xJ8Pp7R.jpg

I wear my goalie pants tighter than most so there's absolutely no way the one on the right is going to work for me.