Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Islanders Moving

21 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

They should have just let them build the complex next to the old Coliseum when Wang was willing to pay for everything but the roads.

If ifs and buts...

Either way, not happy about it. If the plan for Elmont or Queens falls through, then I don't know what happens next.

1 minute ago, dkmiller3356 said:

yup.  or even the second plan to renovate the coliseum that Nassau county residents killed in a poorly planned august vote.  This whole thing is a disaster.

I distinctly remembering being pissed at my grandparents as a kid when they voted against.

8 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

It was only a few years ago....  God you make me feel old.....

I'll be old one day. 

I drove my grandma to the vote, and told her to vote yes... She had no idea what she was voting yes for

I think if they can build a nice arena over at Belmont with parking it will be a solid move for them.  The Barclays Center I think was always just a band aid.

8 minutes ago, strosedefence34 said:

I drove my grandma to the vote, and told her to vote yes... She had no idea what she was voting yes for

That's pretty funny but sounds like it should be illegal.

I'll make you feel old DK, I grew up in Merrick when there wasn't a Starbucks on Merrick Avenue and Tom Gullota was running the show.

I feel like anyone who is an Isles fan and has been following this saga knew the Barclays deal would never ever work out. I remember when the deal was being made the 'out clause' was mentioned, everyone I knew who was an isles fan jumped straight to talking about where they'd end up when that happened and not how great moving to Brooklyn would be. I doubt there is any glimmer of hope that the Isles move back to the Coliseum with Ratner/Prokhorov owning/remodelling it. But who knows with Prokhorov, he might look to leverage the coliseum to the new Isles owners and try to get a deal done knowing the Isles are desperate. 

If I had to put any money on it, I'd choose Belmont over Citifield. Technically its not much further away than the Coliseum and I know you have to factor in the traffic headache (oh dear lord the Cross Island), but as I realize every time I go back, Long Islanders love to drive. Also it seems like I've heard about the Citifield area getting developed almost as long as I've heard about the Coliseum debacle and there is enough bureaucratic nonsense surrounding that area as there was the coliseum that I doubt it could get off the ground in time for the Isles eviction.

Then there is the looming threat of relocation. But there are also some pretty big factors against this option, such as NHL Owners getting more money for a new franchise instead of a relocation, Winnipeg supposedly paid a $60 mill relocation fee while Vegas for a new franchise was like $500 mill, no way the owners are leaving that money on the table. For now the almighty US dollar versus the fluctuating Canadian dollar probably plays a factor as well (not getting political guys, just saying...). Also you have to note the Cable TV deal plays a huge role in this as well, the Isles make up a pretty big chunk of the Metro MSG Cable deal and thats locked down for quite some time.

Time will tell but honestly we all saw this coming. Never a dull moment in the Isles finding a home saga!