Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

All skate ovens created equal?

Local Bauer retailer wants $40 to bake my Bauer Supreme s190 skates in a Bauer oven.  Another shop, Play it Again, wants $20, and have a Graf oven.  Bauer is stating to use their oven, for 3 minutes max.  Any reason I can't go to Play It Again and spend half the money?  Is that time correct, 3 mins?  Seems short!

Thanks!
Jim

You have a pair of presumably new 700.00 skates and you are hemming and hawing over 20.00?

In all seriousness, I am not going to pretend to even know the difference between a Bauer oven and a Graf oven.  But, if Bauer suggests their oven, at 3 minutes, I think its a safe bet to go that route. 

More so if you have the option of a Bauer retailer over a PIAS near you.  The peace of mind I would have knowing that for 20.00 more, they would most likely back their work as opposed to some of the jabroni's I have seen working at PIAS, is well worth it.  Please note I am not knocking all PIAS employees, and something could go equally as wrong or good at the Bauer retailer, this just seems like a no brainer to me to bring them to a authorized Bauer retailer.

Um, I think most people would be "hemming and hawing" over someone charging them $40 to use an oven for 3 minutes. You could buy a convection oven for that price lol 

That's a classic case of a retailer being bitter that someone didn't purchase the skates from them. Instead of being fair like everyone else and charging $20.

Anyway, every brand says you should use their brand oven to bake skates. I'm not saying Bauer doesn't have some kind of magical oven that can only do the job right, but I'm guessing they don't have any groundbreaking trademarks on heat and circulating it. 

You're probably better off finding out what temps the skates need baked at. For instance: Mako's need baked at 200 degrees  - some retailers don't have an oven that heats to 200 degrees. 

I personally would use $20 in gas to drive to a place and spend $20 before I support anyone who charges $40 to heat up ice skates. That's absurd. 

Thanks for input fellas. No hem and haw, but 20 dollars is 20 dollars.  I don't want to just waste it.  Anyway, I guess there is risk going to a non Bauer retailer.  I'll just suck it up, since I found out Play it Again doesn't have a sharpener working at the moment. Would have to go to the Bauer spot anyway to get the sharpen.

Peace and love!

Jim

There's a thread in here somewhere that gives the directions for baking Bauer skates with a Curv quarter (like your s190s).  Try digging around.

The tl:dr version of that thread is 180*F for 3 minutes for Curv skates.  Bake one skate at a time.  Lace and let cool before baking the other (or at least stagger the times to allow you to lace up the first skate before the second skate comes out of the oven).  The oven is irrelevant.  If the Graf oven is a convection oven that sets itself to 180*F, it will work fine.