Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

proth0303

Stick thoughts/recommendations?

I know there are a ton of posts on this and a ton of information out there but frankly it's overwhelming so I'll risk being flamed for this...

I've been skating/playing hockey for a whopping 8 weeks (40 years old, 6' 0", 185 lbs, RH shooter).  I initially purchased a CCM RBZ 290 (85 flex, P40 curve) to get me started; however, I've been playing a lot and picked up a TRUE A4.5 ABP (85 flex, MC curve) as a backup/alternate stick.  I have been playing wing/center and don't see me going to defense anytime soon.  Over the past few weeks I've focused a lot on my wrist/snap shots and am starting to get a feel for it.  I had been using the True stick for the most part but decided to break out the CCM last weekend and I was absolutely shocked at the difference in feel.  I could actually feel the CCM load up a little and get the puck to release with a little zing.  Is it that I'm simply starting to get the mechanics down or is there something about the CCM stick that is that much different than the True stick?  As far as I know the flex and the curves are very similar and the only difference is the kick point but I just don't know if it's realistic to expect a newbie to feel the difference?

Also, I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a stick with a flex near 75 and low kick point.  I haven't a clue on curve other than I don't plan on taking any/many slap shots/one-timers.  I'd like to be able to elevate the puck easier but not sure how much of this is curve vs. lack of skill.  Any suggestions for a stick under $100?  I've been eyeing up a Warrior Covert QRL5 with a W03 curve.

Hey man! I work for a startup company based out of Philly and this is the exact type of problem I am trying to fix. I'm working on creating a hockey stick finder application that a player would simply be able to input a bit of personal information and about their style of play and they would be given a bunch of different stick recommendations.

Would you help me out and fill out our current stick survey? https://www.bquipped.com/surveys.php?id=111 ... We are going to power our app with real hockey player data. This is our website too https://www.bquipped.com/ If you complete the stick survey you will be entered in a raffle to win a free $25 gift card... plus it brings us that much closer to bringing our stick finder app to market!

Looks like the RBZ is a variable kick point, where the True is traditional mid-kick.  I think it is totally realistic to be able to feel that difference.  Even just playing around in the store I can feel the flex difference between sticks of the same flex rating (same manufacturer), but different kick points.  The fact that you are seeing additional snap on your shots with the RBZ, to me, says you can feel the difference too.  There are a lot of factors right now, maybe it is different construction between brands, maybe it is the kick point, maybe it is your improving mechanics.  Not sure there is a way right now to pull any of those factors apart from one another.  You could start to A/B the True and CCM as often as possible to help isolate some of those factors.  Take a shot with 1, then try to take the same shot with the other, rinse, repeat.  Man, can you tell I am a scientist?  Designing isolation experiments for stick kick point preference.

As for blade pattern, I think the common understanding is, the more open the blade, the easier to lift the puck.  Looks like both your curves are more closed to slightly open.  You might want to look at stuff closer to a P92 (Ovie, Crosby, TC2, etc.) to help in that department.  Technique definitely plays a factor as well. 

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Looks like the RBZ is a variable kick point, where the True is traditional mid-kick.  I think it is totally realistic to be able to feel that difference.  Even just playing around in the store I can feel the flex difference between sticks of the same flex rating (same manufacturer), but different kick points.  The fact that you are seeing additional snap on your shots with the RBZ, to me, says you can feel the difference too.  There are a lot of factors right now, maybe it is different construction between brands, maybe it is the kick point, maybe it is your improving mechanics.  Not sure there is a way right now to pull any of those factors apart from one another.  You could start to A/B the True and CCM as often as possible to help isolate some of those factors.  Take a shot with 1, then try to take the same shot with the other, rinse, repeat.  Man, can you tell I am a scientist?  Designing isolation experiments for stick kick point preference.

As for blade pattern, I think the common understanding is, the more open the blade, the easier to lift the puck.  Looks like both your curves are more closed to slightly open.  You might want to look at stuff closer to a P92 (Ovie, Crosby, TC2, etc.) to help in that department.  Technique definitely plays a factor as well. 

Thanks for the feedback!  As an engineer (not quite as nerdy as a scientist but in the same family), I appreciate the suggested design of experiments... ;)

I'll definitely take a look at that curve design.  What position do you play?  Have you toyed around with different flexes?  What stick(s) do you like?

Taylormade golf worked on RBZ line and helped design the blades. I don't much about the TRU line but the general difference between the RBZ other lines is the RBZ has a hollow blade and that gives it a Trampoline effect so a lot of pop. Other lines have foam in the blades to absorb the shock of receiving passes and stick handling. 

52 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

Thanks for the feedback!  As an engineer (not quite as nerdy as a scientist but in the same family), I appreciate the suggested design of experiments... ;)

I'll definitely take a look at that curve design.  What position do you play?  Have you toyed around with different flexes?  What stick(s) do you like?

I'm an organizational psychologist, so hardly hard-core science, but trained in the experimental method and use it often.

I'm on the slow train when it comes to hockey.  You sound like you are playing way more than I am.  Most of my "hockey" is with my son on our backyard shooting set-up.  So I get a bit of stickhandling and shot technique, but translating that to ice is a bigger challenge.  I am hoping this year to up my commitment and really work on the full ice related skills.

So, most of my input comes from being a gear nerd.  Worked in "outdoor retail" for a number of years and so do alot of research and reading about the technical side of pretty much any sport I get into.

I have started to mess with flex and next is kick point.  Started on an 85 flex Easton my brother-in-law handed me down.  Now I have a few 65 flex INT Eastons.  The 85 Easton cut down (I'm 5-6, 175) I thought was too stiff (maybe bad technique).  The 65 flex feel a bit too whippy.  So I think my sweet spot might be in the middle.  All those sticks are low kick points.  I don't often feel I am really flexing them (even the 65s) because the flex point is further away from my hands.  Local shop has a discounted Nexus 6000 I might pick up to see how I like the feel of that.  Best stick I've shot with so far is a mid-kick 70 flex Warrior my nephew has, so might look into the cheaper version of that stick as well.  He is an elite Bantam so can justify the $250 sticks.  I can not. 

52 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

I'm an organizational psychologist, so hardly hard-core science, but trained in the experimental method and use it often.

I'm on the slow train when it comes to hockey.  You sound like you are playing way more than I am.  Most of my "hockey" is with my son on our backyard shooting set-up.  So I get a bit of stickhandling and shot technique, but translating that to ice is a bigger challenge.  I am hoping this year to up my commitment and really work on the full ice related skills.

So, most of my input comes from being a gear nerd.  Worked in "outdoor retail" for a number of years and so do alot of research and reading about the technical side of pretty much any sport I get into.

I have started to mess with flex and next is kick point.  Started on an 85 flex Easton my brother-in-law handed me down.  Now I have a few 65 flex INT Eastons.  The 85 Easton cut down (I'm 5-6, 175) I thought was too stiff (maybe bad technique).  The 65 flex feel a bit too whippy.  So I think my sweet spot might be in the middle.  All those sticks are low kick points.  I don't often feel I am really flexing them (even the 65s) because the flex point is further away from my hands.  Local shop has a discounted Nexus 6000 I might pick up to see how I like the feel of that.  Best stick I've shot with so far is a mid-kick 70 flex Warrior my nephew has, so might look into the cheaper version of that stick as well.  He is an elite Bantam so can justify the $250 sticks.  I can not. 

39 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Taylormade golf worked on RBZ line and helped design the blades. I don't much about the TRU line but the general difference between the RBZ other lines is the RBZ has a hollow blade and that gives it a Trampoline effect so a lot of pop. Other lines have foam in the blades to absorb the shock of receiving passes and stick handling. 

That makes a lot of sense as I noticed the True is easier to receive passes with.  

26 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

I'm on the ice 3-6 hours per week as I am trying to reach "competent" level as quickly as possible.  Right now I'm still the guy that watches perfect passes go right through my legs... but I've made a ton of progress and am having a blast!

4 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

I'm on the ice 3-6 hours per week as I am trying to reach "competent" level as quickly as possible.  Right now I'm still the guy that watches perfect passes go right through my legs... but I've made a ton of progress and am having a blast!

Awesome.  I wish I could be out there 3-6 hrs a week.  For now I am settling for 1 hr of open skate and hopefully a bit of shooting and stick handling at home.  Hopefully this weekend I can finally get myself to an adult clinic and just build from there.