Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Alpha QX Glove

2 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Filthy...  Alpha QX Pro St. Paddy's Day Edition at HG

... some day I'll figure out how to add a picture but until then you will just have to take my word for it.

It's easy. Paste the URL to the photo into your post. Voila! 

***PLEASE NOTE THIS WRITE UP IS FOR THE SMU MODEL OF THE QXPRO***

I just got back from my local Pure Hockey and tried on the St. Paddy's QXPros, thought I would give my initial impressions.

The fingers and flex thumb were the highlights of the gloves. The Fingers were very mobile and the dexterity they have you feel like you could hold a pen and write with the gloves on. The gussets were a highlight as well, very light and breathable but didn't feel flimsy like they would deteriorate quickly. Another of the finger highlights is the added padding on the underside of the fingers. This is an option I've seen on pro stock gloves and its great to see it at the retail level, really improves the fit and feel of fingers on a glove. The flex thumb is very mobile as well, you can really move the thumb and it looks like there is plenty of protection when the the thumb is flexed. I'm not a flex thumb guy (full disclosure I cut the loops on all gloves) but out of all the gloves that I've messed with I think STX has the best flex thumb, these don't seem that far behind. The palm felt very nice, thin but not to the point where you think the gloves won't last 3 weeks until you need a repalm. Stick in hands you got a good feel, not too bulky and the fingers and thumb do a great job moving with the palm.

The backroll is where the glove started to lose me. I will say that the hotspot you sometimes feel on a glove over the knuckle area was not an issue with the QXpro. The last roll really moves with the fingers and gives a nice feel when holding the stick. I get what warrior was trying to do with the "tailored traditional' fit but off the bat the backroll didn't feel roomy enough for me. I got the butter soft feel in moving the fingers but not into the backroll area. This area might have removed the negative fit but for me I am so used to having some flexibility you get with a more traditional 4roll fir that I prefer that and wasn't really into this new design. Maybe the glove would break in a little and I wouldn't necessarily feel this anymore but I definitely wasn't getting a butter soft feel here.

I know one of the highlights of this glove is the hybrid flex cuff but this feature was not doing it for me. I didn't feel the cuff really move at all with me on the QXpro and I didn't think the glove had an open cuff either. The cuff and the wrist area is probably the most important part of a glove for me personally and I just felt too restricted with this cuff and wrist area for my preference. I saw the elastic like material in the glove and it seems strong enough that it will hold up and not stretch out but I don't think it added anything for me towards the fit or functionality of the glove. I think a traditional warrior cuff would've work just the same if not better on these gloves. 

I'll say I don't think these gloves are for me but I can see a lot people digging them. Aesthetically the gloves look phenomenal, the angled backrolls with highlights is a great touch and Warrior design is always on point. The fingers and thumb are going to win over a lot of customers and those who prefer the more snug fit of a glove are going to be a big winner here. There is a lot to like about this glove and a couple things to love. I am looking forward to seeing the top of the line Alpha glove but most likely I think I am a little bit too nitpicky to move away from my traditional Warrior Franchises. 

48 minutes ago, the_game said:

I think a traditional warrior cuff would've work just the same if not better on these gloves. 

I'll say I don't think these gloves are for me but I can see a lot people digging them. Aesthetically the gloves look phenomenal, the angled backrolls with highlights is a great touch and Warrior design is always on point. The fingers and thumb are going to win over a lot of customers and those who prefer the more snug fit of a glove are going to be a big winner here. There is a lot to like about this glove and a couple things to love. I am looking forward to seeing the top of the line Alpha glove but most likely I think I am a little bit too nitpicky to move away from my traditional Warrior Franchises. 

Great write up- statement bolded for truth. That MIA MB22 blooming cuff was the best thing to ever happen to hockey gloves outside of the advent of split fingers and widespread adoption of tuftek. Most love that cuff, few complain about it, and those that do complain about it go Covert. 

I'll end up grabbing a pair of QX Pros, but if it ain't broke....

That glove that is in HG/PH/TH isn't the same spec glove as the retail QX Pro. It's a SMU. 

It's not as flexible.  My employees tried them on when we got them - luckily, my QX Pros just came in that day.   They felt the difference instantly.

We got the St. Paddy's QX Pro's at my work this week, and for what I believe to be the first time, everyone was blown away by them. Not sure if it was the colors that won us over (which are sick in their own right), but can't remember the last time I put a glove on that felt as comfortable as it did right off the shelf, except for maybe the CCM Pro-K gloves Pure Hockey had. I had a bad experience with my last pair of Warrior gloves, but I'll definitely be giving them another shot when we get the rest of the colors in. Or maybe I'll bite the bullet and get the St. Paddy's color way. Hmmm.

EDIT: Just seeing JR's reply about that glove. What exactly is different about them versus retail? Even if they're not the same spec, they're still extremely nice.

The retail glove is not as stiff.

On the QX Pro, I can pretty much get each roll to flex when I close my hand - not so much with this one. 

I'd reserve judgment until the retail glove is in-store. 

These are really growing on me now that I can see them in all-tufftek. I am not a big fan of mixing and matching shell materials beyond some carbon highlights here and there. If the shell materials can be specified in their customizer, like they are now, I may be in for a pair of these.

2 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

what did you think of the fit / finger length? I thought they ran a little big

I would agree. I normally wear 15" in everything and I could wear a 14 in these.

i think they are similar in dimension to Nexus gloves in terms of backhand and finger length with less volume, narrower palm and shorter finger gussets.

Thanks for the great write-up and review of your first reactions: the_game.  This is exactly why we wanted this thread opened.  Giving honest and real feedback of your impressions of the product.

To JR point, this glove currently at PH/TH/HG stores is not exactly the retail model.  We're hoping that you'll all go to stores and try on the retail models when they arrive on or before April 14.

1 hour ago, Miseaujeu said:

Thanks for the great write-up and review of your first reactions: the_game.  This is exactly why we wanted this thread opened.  Giving honest and real feedback of your impressions of the product.

To JR point, this glove currently at PH/TH/HG stores is not exactly the retail model.  We're hoping that you'll all go to stores and try on the retail models when they arrive on or before April 14.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but: Is there a time-frame for these to go to the online customizer? If there a plan to be able to customize the materials on the shell of the glove similar to what is available on the QRL and AX1 now?

3 hours ago, Miseaujeu said:

JR was kind enough to put me in my place and correct me after I posted my feed back, ha! No, JR got me some great insight into the differences between the SMU QXPro and the Retail QXPRO, I went back and added a note to make sure its clarified. I will say I am excited after my chat with JR about what the full retail model is going to offer.

I guess I'm a little bummed to hear these are not the same makeup as the retail spec. Aside from a special color way, I would say if your are going to call the glove the QX Pro and charge the same price as the retail spec it should be the same materials / quality / foams as the retail glove. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on them yesterday knowing there is a superior version on the way...

... Who am I kidding, I might still get them cuz they look awesome 😃

On March 24, 2017 at 3:44 PM, tpedersen3118 said:

I guess I'm a little bummed to hear these are not the same makeup as the retail spec. Aside from a special color way, I would say if your are going to call the glove the QX Pro and charge the same price as the retail spec it should be the same materials / quality / foams as the retail glove. I'm kind of glad I didn't pull the trigger on them yesterday knowing there is a superior version on the way...

... Who am I kidding, I might still get them cuz they look awesome 😃

Don't be bummed.  SMU are not the same as retail spec.  SMU stands for "Special Make-Up".  

Our product design and development teams work with the retailer that orders the SMU on the specs they want or need for their customers.  This doesn't imply that it is sub-standard, as in most cases, the retailer adds features to give more value for their customers.  The QXPro name badge is on the glove so they can be easily attributed to a retail model on the shelf as well.  That helps the customer, in-store and for search online, easily tie-in features from one model in the line instead of some random name being on it and adding to the confusion of  "where does this product fall in the line"?

On 3/23/2017 at 6:15 PM, tpedersen3118 said:

what did you think of the fit / finger length? I thought they ran a little big

Tried on retail Alpha QX's last night that a friend got early.  He had 14"s and they were fine for me lengthwise. My APX2 Pros are 14".  The fingers are more snug than my gloves because they're different types of gloves, but they're not restrictive or tight at all. They move with your fingers (like they're supposed to hehe).

On March 27, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Miseaujeu said:

Don't be bummed.  SMU are not the same as retail spec.  SMU stands for "Special Make-Up".  

Our product design and development teams work with the retailer that orders the SMU on the specs they want or need for their customers.  This doesn't imply that it is sub-standard, as in most cases, the retailer adds features to give more value for their customers.  The QXPro name badge is on the glove so they can be easily attributed to a retail model on the shelf as well.  That helps the customer, in-store and for search online, easily tie-in features from one model in the line instead of some random name being on it and adding to the confusion of  "where does this product fall in the line"?

I get it, and it didn't stop me from picking a pair up the other day 😃

Just got my gloves in... they feel fantastic out of the box and I can't wait to put them through their paces. Thank you to Warrior.

There are 2 sets of gloves here for a few reasons:

1. To do a comparison between the Alpha QX and the Alpha QX Pro lines.
  2. Sizing comparison between a 15" QX and 14" QX Pro next to my 15" QRL Pros.
  3. Compare fit and sizing between 14" QX Pro and 14" Warrior Franchises.

Check back here for that info later on once I can really use them and take a look at them.

dZDInji.jpg

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these @Hills.  I'm rocking custom Eagle PPF's from like...9 years ago, and was considering hopping to custom QRLs but they feel just a touch too tight across the back of the hand to me coming from the 4-roll style.  Really interested in how the QX compares in fit to the QRL and Franchise...I loved the cuff concept of the QRL, so a narrow 4-roll with that similar cuff might be the ticket for me. 

Was the move to use an embroidered 'warrior' logo on the cuff roll because a screened logo doesn't take well on the newer thicker tufftek/nylon material? 

I hate to keep going back to it but man do I miss the old screened logo on the cuff roll, still can't get used to the embroidered logo.

9 minutes ago, the_game said:

Was the move to use an embroidered 'warrior' logo on the cuff roll because a screened logo doesn't take well on the newer thicker tufftek/nylon material? 

I hate to keep going back to it but man do I miss the old screened logo on the cuff roll, still can't get used to the embroidered logo.

You first point is correct.

Also, perceived value of embroidery on cuff is higher than screen printing since screen printing is normally on lower priced models (to cut cost).  Also, dealers ask for this and all companies do it in varying ways.