Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Alpha QX Glove

On 4/10/2017 at 0:06 PM, RickDC said:

I did feel though that they'd get very hot, there's large soft padding on the back of the hand. I have no idea why more gloves aren't designed like the Reebok 30k with venting (and they also have a moveable cuff).. I wore the QX round the store for 10 minutes and hands were getting pretty sweaty and I'm not a sweaty guy.. All they need to do is put holes in the padding on the back of your hand and some breathable fabric and honestly, I might have bought them. But just like the QRL's I have that are now sitting on my shelf - I feel I would have bought these and they would have joined their brothers on the same shelf. Grrrrr!

I absolutely LOVE the fit and feel of the Alpha QX, but they are VERY hot; definitely only draw back is the lack of ventilation. I started noticing at my first warmup, before 1st even started. 

On April 28, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Dangles83 said:

I absolutely LOVE the fit and feel of the Alpha QX, but they are VERY hot; definitely only draw back is the lack of ventilation. I started noticing at my first warmup, before 1st even started. 

On April 28, 2017 at 9:50 PM, GoalForFun said:

I got the QX Pro and haven't had a problem with overheating.

I will bring this issue up with our product team.  

Maybe there's a nice happy medium for the hot/cool-handed players of the world.

I'm like 80% sure it has something to do with the materials, since the QX Pro is the more-porous Tufftek vs. the QX that has more leather on it.

Just pulled the trigger on a custom pair of QX Pro.  I'll report back once I have them on hand.  Super excited about the colours available to customize - so much so that I think a couple other guys on the team are looking to pick up a pair as well.

1 minute ago, YukonLiving said:

Just pulled the trigger on a custom pair of QX Pro.  I'll report back once I have them on hand.  Super excited about the colours available to customize - so much so that I think a couple other guys on the team are looking to pick up a pair as well.

Really? The customizer/colors are much more limited now.

Just now, Dangles83 said:

Really? The customizer/colors are much more limited now.

I agree... and it was nice to be able to select other things like materials etc.  But I'm happy Warrior still has a custom option for single orders, and the colours I wanted were still available.  We'll see how they look/feel once I get them.

Why was the decision made to have different cuffs on the online custom's glove vs. the retail models of Alpha? It's like the Kovy cuff but a little modified.

19990063_10155625771693939_8617294732088

19894731_10155625774928939_6001457214914

It doesn't say whether it does or doesn't have a floating cuff on the customizer itself, and the images on the customizer match the gloves I got.

I like it better, definitely more maneuverability than the retail one.

The custom glove is not the retail glove.  

That's why it's called Alpha Pro, not QX or QX Pro.

Since the AxyFlex cuff isn't on the custom glove, the notch there is needed for movement.

11 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

They should have used this cuff on the retail glove. It's more traditional and feels much better.

6a00e54f7fc4c5883301a3fd240cc1970b-pi

And the AxyFlex cuff which seems so strange is actually a refresh of the Easton GX glove that stormed the market when it came out and that many pros refused to switch from until they were simply impossible to find anymore, Modano even insisted on them the rest of his career and had his rare CCM or Reebok gloves modded to imitate it. So, in a sense, it is traditionally innovative. The Hybrid Flex cuff on the Alpha line is just a blend of the GX -> AxyFlex cuff and a classic rigid cuff, but also close to Mission Fuel's Full Motion cuff.

Nothing like reinventing the wheel!

Don't forget Modano already wore 'Warrior' made Easton 9500. Pretty sure a few members on here have owned various pairs of those.

Wake me up when someone modernizes the Cooper Techniflex.

32 minutes ago, the_game said:

Nothing like reinventing the wheel!

Don't forget Modano already wore 'Warrior' made Easton 9500. Pretty sure a few members on here have owned various pairs of those.

Wake me up when someone modernizes the Cooper Techniflex.

Right! That's exactly what woke me up to the GX influence. I've never seen one of those Modano Warrior GX clones, but I've studied the pictures online. Eventually that connection clicked. It looked like Warrior thought, how could we rework this with today's standards? Even the general profile of the glove is reminiscent of the Easton GX.

29 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I miss OG Easton on so many levels. :sad:

Ditto!

44 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

LOL you read my mind - I was considering bringing up the GX cuff as the first iteration of what Warrior is doing on the QX. 

I'm so glad someone picked that torch back up :) Such a smart design.

My custom AlphaPro gloves came in the other day and I have to say that I am VERY impressed.  They fit perfectly, and feel amazing.  Those hashtags talking about ButterSoftFeel - yeah, they're true.

Stick feels great in my hands with these gloves, no hot spots or unnatural bending anywhere which I am very happy with.

I'll report back later once I have a few uses with them.

I tried these on in the store, and they do feel amazing. Completely broken in, off the rack. This is however, not the first or most important thing that I look for. After having broken my thumb and missed 4 months last year, I am more concerned with protection. I did the stick slash test, and thought it passed fairly well, except in the fingers, where I thought that the 1S and Super Tacks had this glove beat decisively. On ice though, in a real situation, results do not necessarily translate exactly from this other contrived (but useful) little experiment that I first saw JR do a few years back on the Warrior Projekts, and then Hills doing since then on various gloves. Contrived as it may be, I still trust it more than any other test (and thus steer toward 1S and Super Tacks).

I don't think I've seen this answered anywhere in this thread or on the Warrior site.  Any word on what the differences between the retail variants and the custom gloves?  The only thing I've seen is that it appears the custom variants come with a traditional cuff instead of the new one.  

20 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

That's about it. Palm material is the same as on the QX Pro. The Alpha Pro has different material on the backhand but that's whatever. Fit-wise it's the same.

9 hours ago, Swlabr11 said:

I own both and really prefer the traditional cuff on the custom gloves. That being said you really can't go wrong with either. 

The retail pro model has that waffle looking vented material on the backhand.  Do you notice any difference in the heat retention/venting in the two?