Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lmooney19

Skates for wide feet

Hey guys,

Have been shopping around a while for some new skates.  Was curious on suggestions for a pair of skates for wider feet, without going to an EE width.

Currently am in some Vapor XVs and theyre way too narrow in the midfoot area (middle lacing area).

Just went to some Ribcores, but still got sidewall pain.  

Would Supremes be a good route?  Also,  how do Tacks fit in comparison.  I was a 7 in Ribcore, but was curious if I could pop down to a 6.5 on some Tacks

Why no EE?  Get a skate that fits your foot shape.  Nexus and I believe the new Tacks will be widest in a "D" width.  Supreme/Jetspeed will be narrower, Vapor/Ribcor narrowest.

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Why no EE?  Get a skate that fits your foot shape.  Nexus and I believe the new Tacks will be widest in a "D" width.  Supreme/Jetspeed will be narrower, Vapor/Ribcor narrowest.

Because I cant find a shop that has them in stock and am weary to order them online without trying them on.

2 minutes ago, lmooney19 said:

Because I cant find a shop that has them in stock and am weary to order them online without trying them on.

This may sound weird but post a picture of your foot with a sock on from the top. I could probably at least point you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

FYI Nexus Ds are pretty much the same as Supreme EEs in regards to width. 

Yeah, but they are all different shapes internally.  Vapors stick to the V, regardless of width, Supreme stick to the "anatomical" and the Nexus are "boxy".  That brings me back to my "get a skate that is closest to your foot shape" suggestion.  Nexus didn't work for me, but Vapors in a EE did.  I needed the narrow heel. 

4 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Yeah, but they are all different shapes internally.  Vapors stick to the V, regardless of width, Supreme stick to the "anatomical" and the Nexus are "boxy".  That brings me back to my "get a skate that is closest to your foot shape" suggestion.  Nexus didn't work for me, but Vapors in a EE did.  I needed the narrow heel. 

Well... yeah. I thought i was very clear I was only talking about width. The original poster said he couldn't find local shops with EEs and my response was only towards that. 

13 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Well... yeah. I thought i was very clear I was only talking about width. The original poster said he couldn't find local shops with EEs and my response was only towards that. 

Yep, yep, sorry, you were just answering the question.  If you can't tell, I'm a bit obsessed with skate fit.  I have weird feet, so it has been a struggle to find something that checks all the boxes for me. 

OP - I think there are more factors to look at in your potential purchase then width alone.  This can become an expensive experiment, I've been there.

1st pair: decent overall fit, a bit too narrow mid-foot, decent heel lock, limited wrap.  For context I have wide feet throughout until just about the ankle bone and then they get super narrow at the heel

2nd pair: looking for better wrap and heel lock.  Got both, but also went too wide and never felt I was fully in control or balanced

3rd pair: looking to regain control and balance, with wrap, heel lock, etc.  Heel lock is not quite what it was in pair 2, but good and i am working on it.  Good comfort, good support, good control and balance.

That is all over the course of 3 years.  Granted I got most of the skates on closeout at decent prices, but with the money I spent, if I had taken the time up front to really think the purchases through, could have had 1 much nicer pair of skates and been way further along in my skating. 

Really, that is a long winded way to say, tread lightly before you open your wallet, you'll likely be way more satisfied with the results.  At least I know I would have been. 

Do you guys find the Supremes fit wider than Vapors?  I tried on both Nexus and Supremes.  The Nexus felt good in the Mid-foot area but it seemed like there was a lot of room in the heel. I really liked how the Supremes locked the heel in, but couldnt tell how well the sidewalls would fit compared to a vapor.  Keep in mind, for my price point, im looking at Nexus 8000 and Supreme 170s. Ive also strongly considered going the Verbero Vortex 2 route, because it seems like for the money this skate is amazing, but its tough when you have nowhere to try them out.  Any thoughts on these models?

Nexus are going to be widest, I found them wide all over.  Supreme will be narrower and more contoured to a typical foot profile shape.  Vapors will be narrower still and V shaped.  Narrow heel with a bit more width elsewhere.  You know you already have issues with Vapors.  Based on your description the Nexus are too wide (limited heel lock).  Supreme seems like it could work.  The forefoot is wider than the Vapors, you are getting heel lock.  I would think after they were baked and they'd be a pretty good fit.  If you need extra width here and there, you could have that punched out.  For context, Vapor in a EE is slightly wider than a Supreme in a D, I believe.  The decision for me to go Vapor EE over the Supreme D was I wasn't getting good heel lock in the Supreme and I was in the Vapor EE.

Yeah,  the tapered heel just isnt doin it for me.  I have bone spurs on both my heels from years of skating and they seem to get tweaked on the vapors.  Supremes seem to be the way to go.

Anyone know of any awesome sales this weekend?  I checked Hockey Monkey/Giant, but only sales are on closeout items, ha.

1 minute ago, lmooney19 said:

Anyone know of any awesome sales this weekend?  I checked Hockey Monkey/Giant, but only sales are on closeout items, ha.

Monkey has 25% clearance, and they have several Supreme models included in that clearance.  So if you aren't stuck on the latest and greatest version of the 170, you might even be able to upgrade and still save cash. 

5 hours ago, lmooney19 said:

Yeah,  the tapered heel just isnt doin it for me.  I have bone spurs on both my heels from years of skating and they seem to get tweaked on the vapors.  Supremes seem to be the way to go.

If bone spurs still give you problems with the new skates, try getting some Bunga pads for your heels. They're silicone gel pads. I got a Bauer bump on one of my heels that used to give me issues, but once I got a Bunga pad for it, everything felt normal again. They even help with fit.

I recently got new skates and was stuck between the Supreme and Nexus lines. It basically came down to which poison I wanted to take. Deal with lace bite with the Supremes or not enough heel lock in the Nexuses. I went with the Nexuses and wear Bunga pads to fill up the extra space in the heel and get a proper lock. 

Might be something to look at when fine tuning fit. 

I like your solution on that.  I used to use those way back in the day for upper ankle rubbing.  May be a good solution to my problem, but who knows, maybe ill get lucky and a pair of Supremes will do the trick

1 hour ago, lmooney19 said:

I like your solution on that.  I used to use those way back in the day for upper ankle rubbing.  May be a good solution to my problem, but who knows, maybe ill get lucky and a pair of Supremes will do the trick

If you can try a pair of the CCM Jetspeeds too. The shop that I work in has had good luck with these skates

Please take into account boot depth when considering the different options. That plays into the potential for lace bite. You don't want to spend money on a skate that feels good for now, then six months down the road you get a vicious case of lace bite due to depth. Been there. It's not fun. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:31 AM, puckpilot said:

I got a Bauer bump on one of my heels that used to give me issues, but once I got a Bunga pad for it, everything felt normal again.

If you have a bump on your heel you need to get the skate punched out for it. The gel pads do help but every time you jam your foot into a skate, micro damage is occurring to the bursa / tendon / bone structure in that bump area. You may be young enough now for your body to keep up with the healing rate but over time you will begin to lose the battle, the end outcome is generally bursitis. And punching the skate stops the bump from growing bigger.

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If you have a bump on your heel you need to get the skate punched out for it. The gel pads do help but every time you jam your foot into a skate, micro damage is occurring to the bursa / tendon / bone structure in that bump area. You may be young enough now for your body to keep up with the healing rate but over time you will begin to lose the battle, the end outcome is generally bursitis. And punching the skate stops the bump from growing bigger.

I appreciate the concern, but I've had the bump for over 10 years. I got it from a pair of Vapor XXX, which is three pairs of skates ago. My last pair of skates were Reebok 11ks and I didn't need Bunga pads for those. I'm in N9000s now. If I didn't have the bump they'd fit me for the most part just fine in the heel. The Bunga pads now are probably 70% for fine tuning my heel lock and  30% for keeping my bump area from getting a blister. Fortunately the bump doesn't bother me in any other way. 

So a little update for you guys.  

Was in a 7.5 Vapor XII that was too narrow.

Got resized recently and discovered it was right below a size 7 and an E width. a Tried on some Nexus 8000 and and Supreme 180s in a 7D.  Nexus felt too wide in the heel and toe box and the 180 felt solid in the heel but i was worried about width on the sidewalls..

HOWEVER

As most of you notice Vapors are sale right now.  I inquired if they had any X190s (a steal right now at $500 US) in a EE and just for shits i asked for a 6.5 (with the anticipation that i could get some extra room in the heel if they were wider. Put them on and to my surprise the fit like a glove. Not in a million years did I think id ever be in a 6.5, but these things are perfect in length and am feeling no immediate pressure points walking around the house in them.  Never knew I could have a pair of skates not destroy the outter edge of my foot. Cant wait to get these things on the ice.