Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
proth0303

SISU 1.6 Aero Guard

As you may have read in my review of the Shock Doctor Gel Max mouthguard, I'm a handsome, 40 year old male, 6' 0", 185 lbs, with good teeth.  I play in a novice/no-check league but still use a mouthguard for peace of mind.  Having put aside a mouthguard that I struggled to breath and talk in, I was on a search for something better.  I read great things from this site regarding the SISU brand of guards.  I contacted SISU directly and they pointed me in the direction of the 1.6 Aero Guard (1.6 indicates the thickness of the material in mm).  They also offer a Max Guard which is slightly thicker at 2.4 mm but the SISU rep suggested I would be fine with the thinner guard because I am wearing a full cage and shouldn't be taking direct hits to the mouth.

Fit:  The guard comes completely flat.  In order to shape it you need to get some really hot water and let it soften.  I tried hot water from the faucet as I found it to be, per the instructions, "hot to the touch, but not boiling", but it simply wasn't hot enough.  I ended up boiling water, removing the water from the heat and placing the guard in it.  Once the material was soft it then became a balancing act of fitting the guard to my mouth as the material started to cool.  It was quite challenging and I bet it took me 10 tries, but in the end, the fit is phenomenal!  The guard slides onto my teeth and can only be removed when I physically remove it with my fingers (can't spit it out).

Protection:  Much like my other mouthguard experience, I have not taken any direct shots to test the protection which is largely due to my helmet cage.  I did take a pretty good shot when I hit my head on the boards, but the helmet took the brunt of the blow and my teeth were never in danger.

Weight:  Probably doesn't apply, but the guard is barely noticeable when in place due to it being only 1.6 mm thick.  

Durability:  While the other mouthguard I tried was very soft (gel feel), the SISU is a hard plastic.  I've been using this for almost 3 months now and you can see where my teeth are digging into the plastic, but I have a long way to go before needing replacement.  

Intangibles:  I really like the guard because it almost feels like its not there.  Breathing and taking a drink of water is not a problem.  Speaking is only marginally affected and I'm not sure how it could get any better with any other mouthguard.

Conclusion:  I love this product and doubt I would ever try anything else!  I'm very curious to see just how long the guard will last but when the time comes, I expect I will be replacing it with another SISU.  Just a reminder that I'm using this guard behind a helmet cage so I can't comment for those that are more likely to take a direct shot to the mouth.  

Final Rating:  9/10 (the only reason it's not a perfect 10 is the fitting is tricky)