Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
proth0303

GRIT HTSE Hockey Tower, 36"

I'm a 40 year old hockey newbie, 6' 0", 185 lbs, with very wimpy upper body muscles (hence the desire for a wheeled bag).  As part of my outfitting for the sport, I was faced with the decision of how to carry all this stuff.  I initially bought a Bauer S14 Premium carry bag but quickly realized that I wanted something with wheels and more organization.  Upon my first gaze of a GRIT hockey tower, I immediately fell in love!  Given that I'm a Blackhawks fan, I quickly ordered a GRIT HTSE 36" hockey tower in Chicago colors.

Fit:  I debated between a 33" and a 36" tower and am glad I went with the 36".  Despite how roomy it looks in the videos and pictures, there's just enough room to fit everything, and nothing else.  My only complaint is trying to fit shoulder pads, shin guards, and pants in the bottom compartment is somewhat like playing Tetris.  Unlike a carry bag with a long compartment, the bottom compartment of the GRIT is limited in width and height so I have to make sure my should pads are positioned properly and my pants are folded to get everything to fit.  Fitting gloves and elbow pads in the middle compartment is also a little awkward but manageable.

Protection:  With the deliberate organization, several pouches, and stick pockets, there is very little opportunity for any damage to gear.  This is unlike a bag with a large single pocket where everything can hit each other during transit.  Even the stick pockets prevent accidental damage because they are securely attached to the bag vs. being loosely carried by hand.  While this may not be a big deal, all the scratches/damage to my gear has come from being on the ice and not from transport. 

Weight:  The bag itself definitely weighs more than the carry bag I started out with but given the added wheels and support structure (required to make it into a "locker"), the extra weight is fairly minimal.  I am a little concerned that the materials are a balance of light weight and durability and hope that the composite bracing can withstand the long term abuse.    

Durability:  I've been using this bag for ~3 months (3-4 times per week) and it still looks like new.  The zipper on the front pocket can be a little tricky but it hasn't failed me yet.  Due to the tight squeeze of my truck in the garage, I typically throw the bag over the side of the truck bed which does put added strain on skid rails on the back of the bag, but no issues yet.    

Intangibles:  The #1 best feature is it serves as a locker and takes up very little floor space (half as much as a typical bag) in the locker room.  The whole "locker" feel really makes a big difference both at the rink and at home.  At the rink it just makes everything easier and at home, it's well ventilated and makes gear storage easy.  I thought I wanted a dedicated locker area in my house but with this bag (and my Rocket Dryer) I don't need much else. 

Conclusion:  This is a great bag!  I only wish there was a better designed area to store the shoulder pads, shin guards, and pants.  Not sure how this could be accomplished but certainly is the one area where a simple bag wins.

Final Rating:  9/10     

Edited by proth0303