Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

2016-17 Trade Season

Surprised this thread hasn't been started up yet.

The "big" ones so far:

• Eaves to the Ducks
  • Jurco to Blackhawks
  • Hanzal to Wild
  • Bishop to Kings
  • Boyle to Leafs

I don't have much to comment on the first three. 

Bishop to Kings makes no sense to me. I get the idea that there's worry about Quick being able to jump right in and pick up the workload, but that's what Budaj is for. He's been pretty good this season, and the least of the Kings problems. I don't see how Bishop solves anything there. If anything, this trade makes way more sense for Tampa having a decent backup for Vasilevsky. 

As for Boyle, I don't quite know what the vision/purpose is besides maybe some veteran leadership but I don't have a problem with it considering what was given up. I always liked Boyle in the playoffs so I have no complaints at all. 

Good call on starting this thread up. 

My two cents so far...

1. Hanzal to MIN.  He's a rental but they must feel like they've got something going to pay that price.  Heard it from Doan how valued he was in the desert.

2. Bishop to LAK is interesting.  On one hand you've got a team with a guy coming back from serious injury with a competent backup in Budaj.  On the other, is TBL who are trying to save a few bucks with salary cap.  And they also have to consider the expansion draft.  I haven't checked the numbers lately but I wonder if that played into the decision somehow.

3. Boyle to TOR is a great trade for the Leafs.  He's a workhorse and performs VERY well in the playoffs.  Boyle improves the 4th line - he's a big body who will park himself in front of the net and create space.  He's having the best season of his career so far and like you said, he will provide more of that veteran leadership.  Froese and a 2nd rounder is a steal.

4. Burrows to OTT for Dahlen.  Burrows has been on his way out for a few years.  It was only a matter of time.  OTT gets a guy who can play a shut down role and pot a few goals and in return, VAN gets a young prospect (which they desperately need more of).  It's a win-win for both organizations.

5. Jordie Benn to MTL for Pateryn and a 2017 - 4th round pick.  Pateryn was being shopped for at least a week and DAL relieves itself of what could have been a difficult choice around the expansion draft between Klingberg, Hamhuis and Benn.

19 minutes ago, YukonLiving said:

2. Bishop to LAK is interesting.  On one hand you've got a team with a guy coming back from serious injury with a competent backup in Budaj.  On the other, is TBL who are trying to save a few bucks with salary cap.  And they also have to consider the expansion draft.  I haven't checked the numbers lately but I wonder if that played into the decision somehow.

I believe it was to protect Forbort & McNabb. I could be wrong and I don't know how it works, but possible.

It also assures them having a #1 goalie so the other is almost expendable.

5 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I believe it was to protect Forbort & McNabb. I could be wrong and I don't know how it works, but possible.

... they can not protect anything by doing this unless they know that Las Vegas hot on getting Bishop out of 30+ goalies available leaguewide.

6 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

... they can not protect anything by doing this unless they know that Las Vegas hot on getting Bishop out of 30+ goalies available leaguewide.

I think Bishop will be the best goalie available, except maybe Fleury, so no reason for Vegas not to pick him.

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I think Bishop will be the best goalie available, except maybe Fleury, so no reason for Vegas not to pick him.

That is very possible, he is a Vesina runner up from last year and a pick for WCOH wich speaks of his accomplishments. However, risk of them getting stuck with two multimillion goalies is pretty real...

Edit:... on the other hand, Bishop is an awesome choice for #1 Vegas Knight as he is huge and bright in personality. His looks, performace, and celebrity status in fact should be attractive to Knights.

I like Boyle to the Leafs, it gives them a dignified big body that can play center on the lower lines and allows them to not have to over use their kids that lack experience on their bottom 6.

Caps getting Shattenkirk is huge.

Minnesota getting Hanzal is interesting, considering all they gave up for him, but it's nice to see that they didn't give up some of their prospects and instead gave up picks

20 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Surprised this thread hasn't been started up yet.

The "big" ones so far:

• Eaves to the Ducks
  • Jurco to Blackhawks
  • Hanzal to Wild
  • Bishop to Kings
  • Boyle to Leafs

I don't have much to comment on the first three. 

Bishop to Kings makes no sense to me. I get the idea that there's worry about Quick being able to jump right in and pick up the workload, but that's what Budaj is for. He's been pretty good this season, and the least of the Kings problems. I don't see how Bishop solves anything there. If anything, this trade makes way more sense for Tampa having a decent backup for Vasilevsky. 

As for Boyle, I don't quite know what the vision/purpose is besides maybe some veteran leadership but I don't have a problem with it considering what was given up. I always liked Boyle in the playoffs so I have no complaints at all. 

Bishop to the Kings makes complete sense. Quick is returning from a long-term injury and if you have the chance to have a 1A goalie as your insurance plan then you take it. Budaj has been adequate filling the gap but Bishop gives them a much better option should Quick tweak something or be carrying a lot of rust from the long layoff.

3 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

That is very possible, he is a Vesina runner up from last year and a pick for WCOH wich speaks of his accomplishments. However, risk of them getting stuck with two multimillion goalies is pretty real...

Edit:... on the other hand, Bishop is an awesome choice for #1 Vegas Knight as he is huge and bright in personality. His looks, performace, and celebrity status in fact should be attractive to Knights.

There is little risk of the Kings being stuck with 2 big money goalies on their roster. Either Vegas selects Bishop in the expansion draft or the Kings move Bishop over the summer but I guarantee Quick and Bishop will not be the Kings tandem come October.

38 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

There is little risk of the Kings being stuck with 2 big money goalies on their roster. Either Vegas selects Bishop in the expansion draft or the Kings move Bishop over the summer but I guarantee Quick and Bishop will not be the Kings tandem come October.

This is what I see too - my bet is on Vegas to take either Bishop or Fleury (if he's not traded by then).

Bishop is a UFA after this season.  So the risk of the Kings getting stuck with two big money goalies is null.  At the very worst, they just let him walk.

If he is not extended by a team for the '17-'18 season, Bishop will not be eligible for the expansion draft.  If he is not signed to an extension and Vegas wanted him, they would have to sign him as an UFA after July 1.

22 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

A goalie can't be used in lieu of exposing a skater.  Skaters and goalies are held separately.  Forbort is a first year pro, so he is not eligible.  But McNabb has played more than 2 full seasons and will have to be protected

25 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

A goalie can't be used in lieu of exposing a skater.  Skaters and goalies are held separately.  Forbort is a first year pro, so he is not eligible.  But McNabb has played more than 2 full seasons and will have to be protected

Ok - so I was completely wrong. I apolagize. 

Either way, it's to protect Quick in case of injury and / or the fantasy  expansion draft. Or they can keep Bishop if he's better.

Looks like Vancouver is in rebuild mode now. 

Jannick Hansen is on his way to San Jose and Alexandre Burrows catching a plane to Ottawa... a couple young prospects sent the other way in return. 

And now Montreal picking up Steve Ott. There's some sandpaper added to their roster!

19 hours ago, YukonLiving said:

This is what I see too - my bet is on Vegas to take either Bishop or Fleury (if he's not traded by then).

Fleury has a no movement clause, so a team has to protect him. Pgh wants to move him before the expansion draft so that Murray doesn't get exposed. 

Can someone walk me through why there are talks of Colorado trading both Landeskog and Duschene? They are potential elite level forwards, isn't that exactly what you want to build around? Both have contracts expiring over the next few years, but best case scenario, if they move them, they end up with essentially the same players later on. 

I don't know the specifics in Colorado but sometimes you need to shake up the current core in order to change the atmosphere of the team, as well as the overall makeup of the club. Sometimes that means stripping the letters off of jerseys and sometimes it means moving the gentlemen wearing those letters.

The Flyers send Mark Streit to Tampa Bay for  Valtteri Filppula, 4th round 2017 pick and a conditional 7th round pick. The most interesting part of this trade, at least for me, is who will Hextall call up from Lehigh. Hagg? Morin? Just begin the youth movement...

I would have liked to see some scoring adding in Montreal, but I guess the price was higher than MB wanted to pay. Nice to see some toughness/grit added though. The 5 guys coming in average 6'1" & 210lbs.

Not that I needed another reason to hate the Canadiens but did they really have to bring Ott into the division. On the plus side, it should add some fireworks to the next Bruins/Habs contest.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Not that I needed another reason to hate the Canadiens but did they really have to bring Ott into the division. On the plus side, it should add some fireworks to the next Bruins/Habs contest.

Last time I checked, Detroit was already in the same division; so really the Red Wings brought him to the division, but the Canadiens kept him in the division.

7 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Last time I checked, Detroit was already in the same division; so really the Red Wings brought him to the division, but the Canadiens kept him in the division.

yep, Detroit hasn't moved divisions, they are just on the opposite end of the standings so they might be harder to find.

Columbus got Korpicoski and Quincey in the trade without giving up much. I have been watching them play for a couple of games and they are pretty good for the fist time in the new team. I think Korpikoski is a pretty solid add and can shine in Blue Jackets context. I wonder what nickname he is going to get :). Quincey is a good d-man with beard who can throw punches... I think this is something Jackets lacked until now. Overall, pretty conservative trade activity on CBJ part, but with some potential good in it.