Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tpedersen3118

True A5.2 SBP

True A5.2 SBP

TC2-5 curve

95 flex

I purchased my TRUE A5.2 SBP 95 flex TC2-5 curve almost a year ago. At the time I knew nothing much about the brand aside from what I had read via MSH. At the time of purchase I was playing a STX Surgeon 500 100 flex with the X88 curve. That was a good stick but I was not a fan of the softness of the blade. Fast-forward to my TRUE purchase. After searching locally and not finding one close by, I located a store in NE Wisconsin that sold TRUE sticks. I arrived with the intent of purchasing the MC curve in an 85 flex but after playing around with a couple models in-store I went with the TC2-5 in a 95 flex.

A little about me… beer league a couple of days a week, 5’9” 240lbs. Grew up playing Right D but now play R Wing as well. Sticks played most recently: STX Surgeon 500 100 flex, X88 Curve, Bauer Nexus 7000 87 flex P88, Bauer TotalOne 102 flex P91A curve, Easton Stealth RS 85 flex P9 curve.

Blade:

As far as the blade is concerned, I like it but could be improved, slightly. After almost 10 months of playing the stick I find that it is still as stiff as the day I bought it. The puck jumps nicely off the blade but is not overly stiff that it bounces off when receiving a hard pass. I attribute this to TRUE’s BRT technology which places two foam filled carbon weave tubes into the blade for added durability and lasting stiffness. According to TRUE this makes the blade 50% stronger than the previous TRUE A series blades. I have no chips, dings, or cracks in the blade (I tape heel to end of the toe). I have one “complaint”, the blade plays a little dampened, puck feel is good but sometimes I find myself looking down to find where the puck is on my stick. Kind of annoying but if it keeps the blade stiffer and more durable, I’m ok with it

Score: 8.5/10

Shaft/Flex

The shaft of this stick is double concave with rounded corners, if feels great in the hands and the matte grip is, IMO, the best on the market; not too sticky, but just right. TRUE obviously has spent a great deal of time and R&D on this aspect of the stick. A true OP stick, created with their Axenic technology creates a well-balanced and durable stick. Flex is good and plays true to advertised, I cut my sticks 3” and use a 2” wooden plug – old habits.

Score: 9/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes:

As far as stickhandling goes, and as I mentioned earlier, aside from the slightly dampened blade feel the stick performs as expected. I’m not a dangler so I can’t speak to the fancy moves and how the stick responds, but as far as receiving and sending passes, I can go tape to tape with no problem whether it’s throwing sauce or a hard snap pass.

Score 8/10

Shooting:

Shooting with the stick is grea, the Smartflex varied stiffness technology is apparent in the stick when shooting. Wristers and snap shots are quick and accurate while powerful slapshots remain on target, I attribute this to not only to the Smartflex shaft but also the stiffer BRT blade. When compared to the STX I was playing you really start to appreciate the technology TRUE has put into this stick, especially at this price point.

Score 9/10

Weight and balance:

Depending on the scale used, this stick comes in somewhere between 420-425g. This is crazy given this is NOT a flagship stick for TRUE. Bauer, CCM, Warrior, etc. all offer their tip of the spear sticks at around this weight or more and range from $280 - $300. IMO, $200 for the TRUE A5.2 SBP is a stellar deal. The stick is nicely balanced, a little heaver at the blade but only slightly. I use a wooden “nub” in all of my sticks so the added weight in the hand balance it out just a little bit more for my liking.

9/10

Durability:

After almost a year of use twice a week this stick has really held up well. The blade is still as stiff as the day I bought it and it shows minimal wear in high slash areas. After the first couple of times I used the stick I did take some hits to the hosel and there were a couple of areas that chipped and pretty deep too. I fixed these areas with some materials I had laying around the house, however, I don’t believe it was necessary, these were likely cosmetic damage and wouldn’t have affected performance. I have not seen any chips in the shaft, I feel it is well constructed and grip coating also helps with this as well. I also haven’t had any issues with the blade chipping of separating at the rocker or toe, still in really good shape!

Score 8.5/10  (Chipping early on knocked it down ½ a point)

Conclusion:

SCORE: 9/10

I’ve really become a fan of the TRUE A5.2 SBP. When I look for a new piece of gear I look for what is going to best suit my style of play and budget. I don’t become brand myopic and have to get the newest Bauer or CCM item to hit the market. I really like that TRUE has created a stick that is a good price point, lightweight, and durable. I should also mention that the looks for this stick are great; subtle pops of blue, exposed carbon weave, silver and black graphics, all make this is one of the better looking sticks on the market. For $200, I don’t think you will be able to find a better stick –

Edited by tpedersen3118