Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Helmet Advice

Hey fellas,

Old Easton S9 has a crack and needs replacement.  While I keep up on sticks and skates, I have no clue where the helmet market is at the moment.  Is there a go to mid range/price helmet these days?  I have a pretty large head but always found the Easton S9 to feel great. 

Thanks!
Jim

after my 11K had problems with all the dials and stuff I just went with a simple Bauer 4500 and its so much more comfortable with just screw adjustments nothing to go wrong. My brother has exactly the same helmet too.

Go to a store (or multiple stores if there isn't one with a lot of selection around you) and try on as many helmets as you can as each model will fit differently. If you're looking for value then hopefully a discontinued model will fit you well.

Here are some examples of discontinued models and pricing based on what I've seen in stores and online:

Easton E600 - formerly $119 and now $59 at Sport Chek in Canada. $35US on Hockey Monkey for the helmet alone or $60 for the Helmet and Cage combo.

Easton E700 - formerly $149 and now $89 at Sport Chek in Canada $56US on Hockey Monkey

Bauer IMS 7.0 - a tweaked version of the Cascade M11. Used to sell for around $150 and I've seen them being cleared out for between $50 and $70 at some places. Hockey Monkey in the US has it for $70US (they also have the original Cascade M11 for $50). Pro Hockey Life in Canada has it for $120.

CCM Vector 10 helmets  - used to be $130 and now any remaining stock is usually cleared out between $50 and $80.

Warrior Krown 360 - used to be $170 and is now being cleared out for $45US on Hockey Monkey.

Now, all of those helmets are discontinued and will only be available in limited sizes. If you can find one that fits your head well then you can save significantly over current models, however; if you can't find your size or none of them fit comfortably then it's worth spending more on something that does fit well.

Out of those helmets I personally own the E700, Bauer IMS 7.0 and Cascade M11. They are all comfortable for me - the Cascade and IMS 7.0 have the snuggest fit, but the E700 still fits well and is noticeably lighter. The E700 has better ventilation. I did have a Warrior Krown PTE in the past, but even with the 4-play adjustment it didn't fit me as well as the other helmets I own; so I sold it. It was a nice helmet, with good ventilation, but the fit is key.

Bauer also has the Re-Akt model which is made for an oval shaped head whereas the IMS is for a round head.  I ended up with the IMS 9.0 due to my round head so I have a Re-Akt 75 (not a whole lot of use) that I'm trying to sell.

Geez - thanks

4 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

Bauer also has the Re-Akt model which is made for an oval shaped head whereas the IMS is for a round head.  I ended up with the IMS 9.0 due to my round head so I have a Re-Akt 75 (not a whole lot of use) that I'm trying to sell.

Size and price?

The only resource I have found that indicates head shape is Ice Warehouse.  Oval vs. round.  Take a look through there and try to give a few helmets from each head shape a try on.  I think that will help you narrow down your head shape so you can then focus on just the helmets that best fit your head. 

Just now, krisdrum said:

The only resource I have found that indicates head shape is Ice Warehouse.  Oval vs. round.  Take a look through there and try to give a few helmets from each head shape a try on.  I think that will help you narrow down your head shape so you can then focus on just the helmets that best fit your head. 

Oval for sure, and yeah. I was looking around for that and wasn't able to find it.  Thanks for the direction, Ill go poke around.

Cool, I'm a round.  Made the mistake of buying an oval (without trying on) and as much as I wanted it to work, it didn't feel good over the long haul.  I feel like as an oval you probably have more options.  Maybe just my perception as a round.