Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LowStoneWall32

Mask Painting Safety Q's

What's the big deal?

I've heard it over and over; "Don't paint your mask, it'll make it unsafe." "The paint could degrade the mask". Etc.

But how bad is it really? I'm using the NME3 playing varsity roller hockey. I won't be sanding it. And I'm pretty sure painting my death cage isn't going to make it any less safe to use. The spray paint I got is the 2 in 1, kind that has color and primer. Plus my mask is already white. On the can it says good for wood, plastic, metal.

Okay now that safety question is outta the way, onto the technique. I hear you're supposed to sand the mask first so the paint will grip, but I plan on being able to repaint the mask. Should I not sand it?

I plan on it going like this:

1- prep mask by taking off cage,  scrubbing any fingerprint grease off , covering all the foam with tape, take off backplate because I'm not painting that part. 

2- spray paint first coat without sanding.

3-let it dry

4-add more coats if needed

5- tape off simple design

6- another coat

7- final with clear gloss finish

8-dry & done

Does that process sound right? Then if I get put on another team I'll sand it. So basically my mask will only be good for 2 paint jobs. I think.

I think if you don't sand it, the paint is not going to stick well for very long, so it will start to look ragged in probably less time than you'd like. 

Plastic coming out of the factory is going to have a pretty nice finish put on it, nice and smooth.  Paint need some place to grip, which nice and smooth does not provide. 

I think when they say "sand it", they don't mean use 150 grit or something like that.  They mean use 1000 grit or higher.  Something really fine, just to create enough of a roughed up surface for the paint to grip to better.  You probably shouldn't even be able to tell it was sanded, except that it won't be as shiny.

If you want to re-paint it, you can sand it lightly again, put some primer on, and go to town.  Repeat as needed. 

1) Green scotch bright pad (like for cleaning dishes), all your looking to do here is clean it, and maybe take some of the shine off the original paint. You do not need to "rough it up"...  

2) prime it with a good bonding primer 

3) PAINT IT. 

Dont bother with any "all in one paint / primer" nonsense, it will peel eventually. You need that good bonding primer on there first, that's the most important part. 

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'd just power coat it. It's cheap enough to not warrant trying to paint it. 

Oh, you're talking about painting the mask itself, not the cage. Nevermind. 

On 3/2/2017 at 11:00 AM, LowStoneWall32 said:

Thanks. I'm gonna go with the scotch bright scrubber. I'll post pictures when I get to it. 

Look for a primer that says it's specifically for glossy or other hard to paint surfaces. Should be easy to find at any home store. Also if you paint it a glossy color it will hold up better than a matte finish.

UPDATE: didn't use the scotch rite, went out and got 600 grit sand paper instead. 

I practiced on a street hockey mask, but still managed to get a bunch of runs. The sand paper fixed that though. I got my dad to do the rest of the spray painting since he is more experienced.

now we just have to clear coat it and it'll be done!

Theoretically adhesive or paint could break down the plastic. Will it? Probably not, but if the crazy happens and a puck hurts you do not try to sue the helmet manufacturer. 

You need to wetsand it with 400 sandpaper. Put some dish soap and water in a bucket and sand the helmet thoroughly so that there are NO shiny spots anywhere. Wrap the paper over a rubber squeegee, and keep the paper CLEAN, and new. YOU may need to use 2 or 3 sheets for a helmet. Probably only one, but whats another  $0.83?

On 3/4/2017 at 1:35 AM, MD56 said:

Look for a primer that says it's specifically for glossy or other hard to paint surfaces. Should be easy to find at any home store. Also if you paint it a glossy color it will hold up better than a matte finish.

Crylon fission spray paint and primer sticks to plastics very well.

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Crylon fission spray paint and primer sticks to plastics very well.

Krylon Fusion, and yes it does.