Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lotus

New Skates Needed, likely CCM

Hey everyone, I've done a good deal of research on  some new skates but I'd love some personal opinions.

I'm feeling pretty brand loyal to CCM right now. Coming from some CCM u+ crazylights, and I did like them. Unfortunately the holder on one skate just exploded when hit by a shot. The steel is really low on both skates as is, and all in all it just feels like it's time for new skates rather than paying the cost to fix these up.

As it stands, I'm loving the idea of newer Tacks skates. I prefer a stiff boot and that's pretty much exactly why I'm interested in the Tacks.

I'm turned off of the Tacks skates because of the prices. I could drop $900 or $700 or whatever on supertacks or ultratacks, but I don't realllllly want to. I can get the CCM Tacks (I guess that would be last years?) for around $370 shipped which feels like a decent option.

The Ribcor 48k is reasonably priced and might work for me. I used some RBKs for roller hockey waaaay back in the day. They had the lace lock and pump and I honestly was a fan of both (though IIRC the boot was a bit painful, but I'm not gonna compare roller to ice).

I haven't considered the Jetspeed much but I'm assuming it would be similar to my crazylights, which I liked, to a certain extent. 

For what it's worth I'm a size 7 skate, 8.5 US mens shoe. My feet have a pretty serious arch to them, and are not exactly wide. Pro stock and ebay have been...lacking. As has clearance. Either a super common or super uncommon size, I guess :laugh:

I know i have other skate options than CCM but I'm going to drive myself crazy considering them all. 

Greatly appreciate any input. I need to get back on the ice asap!

I've been in the top end jetspeed for roller for a year now. It's been holding up great and I find them really comfortable. Just picked up the jetspeed 300 for ice. Only had about 4 hours in them so far but they feel almost identical to the top end boot. On icewarehouse.com they can be had for $510 with the save15 coupon code.

If you want a stiff CCM boot then you need to look at super or ultra tacks. Jetspeeds, whilst not soft, are not exactly stiff either. Compared to say these boots (apx2 / 1x / super tacks / ultra tacks) jetspeeds are much softer thru the rear panels. And Ribcors are softer than jetspeeds.

I just picked up the Jetspeeds (they're on sale now), and while I've only got in a few games with them they've been fantastic and did not take long to break in at all (no bake).

I was in a shop here in florida  the other  day trying on  skates (opted for Bauer 1S as I'm a Bauer guy).  However, I was impressed with the CCM Vector Pro Tack model. It's an SMU that takes features from the Ultra Tacks and retails for  $499 CDN.

http://www.sourceforsports.com/11216-CCM-Tacks-Vector-Pro-Senior-Hockey-Skates.aspx

52 minutes ago, clarkiestooth said:

I was in a shop here in florida  the other  day trying on  skates (opted for Bauer 1S as I'm a Bauer guy).  However, I was impressed with the CCM Vector Pro Tack model. It's an SMU that takes features from the Ultra Tacks and retails for  $499 CDN.

http://www.sourceforsports.com/11216-CCM-Tacks-Vector-Pro-Senior-Hockey-Skates.aspx

I have these skates. They're pretty good, especially since I got them for $180.

Our opinions are fairly irrelevant here.

They're all well built skates. If you fit one line, you won't fit the other two. Try them on and buy the one that fits the best. 

7 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

Our opinions are fairly irrelevant here.

They're all well built skates. If you fit one line, you won't fit the other two. Try them on and buy the one that fits the best. 

If you read the first sentence, the OP is asking for opinions.

My opinion is that green is a nicer color than red, which is nicer than yellow, so he should get Ribcors.

Armed with no information other than "he's a size 7 in a very old model, likes a stiff boot (relative to his crazy lights? In general?), and his foot isn't exactly wide"- again all of our opinions are meaningless. 

The widely documented differences in fit between the three lines would be facts, not opinions. But I digress. 

Thanks so much for the replys, everyone!

Believe me, I understand that fit is most important. I have always just ordered and returned if I don't like the fit, and that I'll never really know until I try the boot on. I've returned poorly fitting skates before, it's no big deal.

There are most certainly facts & opinions to be had about the CCM line of skates. I do value the opinion of everyone here when it comes to these skates...often times personal experiences may differ from the advertised. I'm completely aware that I can google how each skate fits, but if I never asked then I wouldn't have known that the Tacks Classic and the Tacks Vector Pro even existed.

So, I'm glad I asked, and I'm grateful for all the input :-)

I'll research the above mentioned skates, I have a feeling I may go with one of the two.

Good luck!  I also just got  a notice from paypal advertising that if you make purchases with paypal and you need to return the product, they now offer free return postage. That may be old news, but it was new to me. Makes it easier to return skates.

I thought my ccm u+10 skates fit amazing and assumed I'd be in ccm forever. Then I tried on some makos. Point is don't limit to one brand out of loyalty, you could be selling yourself short on a better fit

Just now, kyleo29 said:

I thought my ccm u+10 skates fit amazing and assumed I'd be in ccm forever. Then I tried on some makos. Point is don't limit to one brand out of loyalty, you could be selling yourself short on a better fit

Truth. I actually have always loved Easton products. Believe it or not I'm Easton everything except gloves/helmet/skates. All protective and all my sticks at this point are Easton.

Some things just tend to fit, though. Less second guessing, more confidence in spending the money, etc. I've been having such a hard time getting out to the shops and really just want to be back on the ice though, so I'll probably just go with what I know.

Never ruling it out for the future though...or if I see an absolutely amazing deal in the coming days!

2 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Good luck!  I also just got  a notice from paypal advertising that if you make purchases with paypal and you need to return the product, they now offer free return postage. That may be old news, but it was new to me. Makes it easier to return skates.

I definitely didn't know that! Good tip, thanks. I might actually end up going with Ebay on my purchase anyway.

Um... you do know CCM (and Bauer, etc.) change the way their stuff fits now and again.  Right?  And different models fit differently from their other models. 

Not sure I am following the logic of "I fit ok in these older CCMs, so I am just going to get whatever new CCMs might be kinda similar".  Have to agree with Kyle here, I'd try everything I could try on and go from there.  Fit is king, no?

Like krisdrum said, fit is king... at a minimum try all the CCM models, but I'd even drop the brand specificity and try all the different brands.  I was in Vapors and swore that was it.  Vapors for life.  Then I read all about the greatness of Makos so I got those, and while most of the fit was beyond amazing, the arch was too steep for me and I got cramps about 10 mins into skating.  I couldn't even skate on them, despite just about everyone on the planet raving about Mako fit.

Back on the hunt I figured it would be Vapors again since old Vapors fit me with what was an acceptable level of foot pain.  LHS had Supremes and they fit far better than both the Vapors and the Makos felt.  Finally a skate with zero foot pain.

Just try stuff on, get brand and model out of your head :)

-Jim

40 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Um... you do know CCM (and Bauer, etc.) change the way their stuff fits now and again.  Right?  And different models fit differently from their other models. 

Not sure I am following the logic of "I fit ok in these older CCMs, so I am just going to get whatever new CCMs might be kinda similar".  Have to agree with Kyle here, I'd try everything I could try on and go from there.  Fit is king, no?

Oh, I get it. That's why I mentioned what I had before and what I tend to like in skates. I'm not new to this. If skates never changed then I wouldn't need anyones opinion, would I?

I've been in countless different skates since I was a child. I'm well aware that fit is the most important thing. I'm also aware of how brands change from year to year too. But I need somewhere to start and all signs point to trying these CCMs. Prior years have treated me well and even if you think that's irrelevant, it's a starting point, it's no more irrelevant than choosing a brand I haven't worn in 10 years.

If there is a better first pick than some CCM Tacks for someone who has liked CCM in prior years and prefers a stiff boot, then I'd love to hear it. Until then, it's probably what I'll order and try on. And if I don't like it I'll send it back.

23 minutes ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Like krisdrum said, fit is king... at a minimum try all the CCM models, but I'd even drop the brand specificity and try all the different brands.  I was in Vapors and swore that was it.  Vapors for life.  Then I read all about the greatness of Makos so I got those, and while most of the fit was beyond amazing, the arch was too steep for me and I got cramps about 10 mins into skating.  I couldn't even skate on them, despite just about everyone on the planet raving about Mako fit.

Back on the hunt I figured it would be Vapors again since old Vapors fit me with what was an acceptable level of foot pain.  LHS had Supremes and they fit far better than both the Vapors and the Makos felt.  Finally a skate with zero foot pain.

Just try stuff on, get brand and model out of your head :)

-Jim

I completely understand that there would be a great benefit to trying on every make and model. I just want to get back on the ice. If I find the time this week to go to the store and start trying it all on, I will, but it's not always that easy. So in the case where that isn't necessarily an option, perhaps another good idea is to ask around for opinions.

Also even if everything changes from year to year...Bauer has always given me issues. Through 3 different Bauer skates in the early-mid 2000s and I know a lot has changed but I still think it's completely understandable if they're no longer my first choice either.

I tried on Makos a couple years back and thought it was the absolute most comfortable fit I had ever felt. I didn't buy them at the time because I actually thought they weren't stiff enough.

But again, I understand the Makos I tried on a few years back are not todays Makos.

Then again, CCM is the brand where a holder exploded on me while blocking a really, just not that hard shot. Bleh.

As a mostly Bauer guy, Vapors specifically I have never worn a more comfortable skate then my Super Tacks. Straight from the box I knew I was buying them. A few skates in and my opinion has only gotten stronger. I also like a stiff boot and I can't imagine stiffer then these but they're super comfy as well. Good luck!

I'm so intrigued that the pump is still around. I really didn't think RBK has much great feedback when it was first introduced. I was always a fan of the lace lock system though...probably like ten years ago hah. Hated that boot though.

22 minutes ago, lotus said:

I'm so intrigued that the pump is still around. I really didn't think RBK has much great feedback when it was first introduced. I was always a fan of the lace lock system though...probably like ten years ago hah. Hated that boot though.

From what I understand, the pump is dead.  New Ribcor line will not have the pump. 

Best of luck man.  I hope you find a winner, first pair out of the box. 

I think many of us are reacting to what seems like a hasty approach.  You say you want to get back on the ice ASAP.  Great, but at what potential risk?  Personally I'd feel less confident I'd be back on the ice and feeling good with my selection using your approach.  What happens when you need to return them?  Wait a week for the new skates to arrive, try again...  Seems like a waste of time to me.  So, I am hoping you don't find yourself in that situation. 

Although I am new to the sport, I have had plenty of trial and error over the last few years with finding skates that work for me.  Admittedly, I have messed up, hard to fit feet.  I've skated in at least 5 boots in the last 3 years and tried on at least double that.  Some working better than others.  It has not been a fun process for me.  In hindsight, I should have just bought the pair that fit the best after going and trying EVERYTHING I could get my hands on.  That would have saved me at least 3 pairs since.  Again, just my take/opinion.

Is that "1.5 less than shoe size" guideline actually somewhat accurate now?  Just asking because I know in recent years there was a wide range of length inconsistencies in the CCM/RBK line.  For example, the RBZ skates I fit into a 6D and I am generally a 7D Bauer and I wear a 9 shoe.  Have they done a better job in somewhat standardizing the lengths across their different models now?

38 minutes ago, matix218 said:

Is that "1.5 less than shoe size" guideline actually somewhat accurate now?  Just asking because I know in recent years there was a wide range of length inconsistencies in the CCM/RBK line.  For example, the RBZ skates I fit into a 6D and I am generally a 7D Bauer and I wear a 9 shoe.  Have they done a better job in somewhat standardizing the lengths across their different models now?

I believe Ccm had some lines that didn't go 1.5 down, but this year they have stuck to it. They have a product manager who posted about it here somewhere.