Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lotus

New Skates Needed, likely CCM

33 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

Personally I go 2.5 sizes down in my jetspeeds. 11.5 shoe size and I fit a 9 in the skates perfectly. 

Wow! That's a lot down. Does anyone else go that far down in skate size? I feel like if I went further than 1.5 down I'd be crushing my feet :laugh:.

I have had skates that I prefer to wear very thin, or very thick socks in before. The 1.5 rule has treated me well on almost every skate thus far. Almost. I was betrayed by some RBKs back in the day :P

1 hour ago, lotus said:

Wow! That's a lot down. Does anyone else go that far down in skate size? I feel like if I went further than 1.5 down I'd be crushing my feet :laugh:.

I did too.I wear a 12 shoe and wear 9.5 in JetSpeed. My understanding is that this is pretty common in current generation CCM skates. I was a 10 in Bauer Vapor. 

I love the Jetspeed but there is a small defect that I encountered with the eyelets 3-4 on the skates. They begin to crush from normal use. There is actually thread about this that I will try to find and link. Otherwise, incredible fit and feel.

I'll add my .02 cents. 

I picked up the CCM Tacks (2014) for more than half off original MSRP last October.  I really like the skate a lot.  I play on average about 4 men's league games a week, and the skates are holding up very well.  Boot is still nice and stiff.

I wear a size 12 sneaker, and felt the 10.5 fit slightly better than the size 10.  I also added Super Feet Pro Carbon Hockey inserts, as well as Powerfoot inserts.  These are the best fitting skates I have had in decades.  Almost no negative space in the skate now.  Obviously, this pertains to my foot.  However, if you can fit into the clearance Tacks, they are a heck of a deal right now.  Lot of skate for the price.

45 minutes ago, Bakum said:

I did too.I wear a 12 shoe and wear 9.5 in JetSpeed. My understanding is that this is pretty common in current generation CCM skates. I was a 10 in Bauer Vapor. 

I love the Jetspeed but there is a small defect that I encountered with the eyelets 3-4 on the skates. They begin to crush from normal use. There is actually thread about this that I will try to find and link. Otherwise, incredible fit and feel.

I have a friend looking to grab some new jetspeeds now. If he can drop 2-2.5 sizes then it puts him into junior skates basically. That would be a nice deal :blink:

1 minute ago, OzziesDad said:

I'll add my .02 cents. 

I picked up the CCM Tacks (2014) for more than half off original MSRP last October.  I really like the skate a lot.  I play on average about 4 men's league games a week, and the skates are holding up very well.  Boot is still nice and stiff.

I wear a size 12 sneaker, and felt the 10.5 fit slightly better than the size 10.  I also added Super Feet Pro Carbon Hockey inserts, as well as Powerfoot inserts.  These are the best fitting skates I have had in decades.  Almost no negative space in the skate now.  Obviously, this pertains to my foot.  However, if you can fit into the clearance Tacks, they are a heck of a deal right now.  Lot of skate for the price.

Unfortunately, it seems like I can't find much in a 7D. On clearance at least. I did get a 15% off coupon working on totalhockey which can get me some ultra tacks down to a little under $600 I think. Far from the best deal around, though. Someone linked some SMU Tacks based off the 6092 with some upgrades that the Super Tacks have, and that was $450.

I could just replace the holder and runners on my crazy lights, but I've got the idea of new skates in my head now and those are at like 4 years of use, which isn't an awful lot but, it's not absurd to move on from them I guess. Maybe I'll fix them up and buy new skates anyway, make the crazy lights my pond hockey skates hah.

Decisions!

3 hours ago, lotus said:

I have had skates that I prefer to wear very thin, or very thick socks in before. The 1.5 rule has treated me well on almost every skate thus far. Almost. I was betrayed by some RBKs back in the day :P

Yes. For some reason, skate makers are sizing skates larger and larger. The human foot never stops growing, yet my skate size shrinks.   I have a 9 or 9.5 street shoe, and a size 7 Bauer Supreme. I used to wear a 7.5 in the old Bauer Vapor XX.

3 hours ago, lotus said:

I'm also 2.5 down in the Jetspeeds.  Size 10 street shoe, 7.5D skate

Edited to add: Big fan of the jetspeed fit.  I tried on basically every other skate (well all Bauer & CCM top lines) and Jetspeed fit me best.  Really had very little break in time after the bake.  Probably didn't even need to bake.  Anyway- I started off on the jetspeed 280s, but after playing 2-3x /week for a year they're basically done (top eyelets ripping from skate, starting to get ankle pain, etc.).  The guys in my local shop said that if i'm playing that much i really need the top end jetspeed or the 300.  I went with the top end & i'm loving them.

1 hour ago, droppinloads said:

I'm also 2.5 down in the Jetspeeds.  Size 10 street shoe, 7.5D skate

Edited to add: Big fan of the jetspeed fit.  I tried on basically every other skate (well all Bauer & CCM top lines) and Jetspeed fit me best.  Really had very little break in time after the bake.  Probably didn't even need to bake.  Anyway- I started off on the jetspeed 280s, but after playing 2-3x /week for a year they're basically done (top eyelets ripping from skate, starting to get ankle pain, etc.).  The guys in my local shop said that if i'm playing that much i really need the top end jetspeed or the 300.  I went with the top end & i'm loving them.

Was the Jetspeed intended to be a sort of successor to the Crazy Lights? Or is it not based off of them at all?

My Crazy Lights fell apart way faster than I would have liked(edit: actually I suppose thats normal wear for 4 years of pretty heavy skating) The eyelets on the top were actually wearing, but I wouldn't say they tore at all. My laces were also eating through the tongue. I did enjoy them, though.

I'm probably going to wind up heading off to total hockey to try on a few pairs after all.

6 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Personally I go 2.5 sizes down in my jetspeeds. 11.5 shoe size and I fit a 9 in the skates perfectly. 

Agreed. I'm a 9.5 running shoe and a 7D Jetspeed is the perfect length. 

size 8 sneaker, 6.5D vapour, 6D supreme, 5.5D jetspeed / ribcor. Sadly this is the only generation of CCM that will do this, all new releases will be equivalent to Bauer sizings so a new ccm skate for me means senior pricings :( 

Heading to a store and trying on as much as possible is an excellent idea. CCM sizing has been in flux in recent years, but is should be more consistent with other brands after the new Jetspeed skates come out and all the old stock is sold through.

I haven't owned any of the recent skates, but have tried them on. I'm a size 10W dress shoe and my feet measure just over 10.5 inches. Here's what fit me from a length perspective:

RBZ size 7

Jetspeed, Ribcore and 2014 Tacks size 7.5

2016 Super Tacks size 8

The 2017 Jetspeeds should by similar in length to the 2016 Super Tacks so I believe I'll be an 8 in those as well.

The Tacks fit also changed between the 2014 and 2016 models. The 2016 models aren't as deep or wide and have tighter heels.

I currently wear 8EE Easton Makos (have both the originals and Mako II skates). They're very comfortable and I like the performance, but they certainly aren't as stiff as the Super Tacks skate. The Mako II is definitely stiffer than the original Mako though.

1 minute ago, althoma1 said:

Heading to a store and trying on as much as possible is an excellent idea. CCM sizing has been in flux in recent years, but is should be more consistent with other brands after the new Jetspeed skates come out and all the old stock is sold through.

I haven't owned any of the recent skates, but have tried them on. I'm a size 10W dress shoe and my feet measure just over 10.5 inches. Here's what fit me from a length perspective:

RBZ size 7

Jetspeed, Ribcore and 2014 Tacks size 7.5

2016 Super Tacks size 8

The 2017 Jetspeeds should by similar in length to the 2016 Super Tacks so I believe I'll be an 8 in those as well.

The Tacks fit also changed between the 2014 and 2016 models. The 2016 models aren't as deep or wide and have tighter heels.

I currently wear 8EE Easton Makos (have both the originals and Mako II skates). They're very comfortable and I like the performance, but they certainly aren't as stiff as the Super Tacks skate. The Mako II is definitely stiffer than the original Mako though.

That's a lot of good info, thanks man! Since so many people have gone further than 1.5 down on these new CCMs, thats reason enough for me to run off to the LHS. I'll almost certainly still wind up with some Tacks, but I'm going to try on Makos and maybe Jetspeed or Ribcors.

The volume of the RBZ was my favorite, but i ended up buying the 2014 Tacks. I believe the volume has changed on the Jetspeed. The newer Ultra and Super Tacks are way more comfortable than the 2014 version. I did not like how much space the pump took up on the Ribcor as it dug into my ankles, but I have also heard that the pump will no longer be on the new Ribcor line. In terms of sizing, CCM claims that Tacks and Ribcor lines are a 1.5 shoe size difference, whereas the Jetspeed line is 2 sizes smaller.

13 hours ago, lotus said:

That's a lot of good info, thanks man! Since so many people have gone further than 1.5 down on these new CCMs, thats reason enough for me to run off to the LHS. I'll almost certainly still wind up with some Tacks, but I'm going to try on Makos and maybe Jetspeed or Ribcors.

Be forewarned, the Makos may not fit well or at all pre-bake.  If the shop is open to it, see if they will bake them for you without purchasing.  I was able to get my foot in an EE width, but not a D.  And the EE took a bit to get on pre-bake.  Post bake, like a whole different animal.  In hindsight, I could have tried a baked D as the heel in the EE is too wide for me and I get limited heel lock.  I liked pretty much everything else about the boot though. 

On 3/28/2017 at 5:18 PM, lotus said:

Was the Jetspeed intended to be a sort of successor to the Crazy Lights? Or is it not based off of them at all?

Jetspeed replaced the RBZ i'm pretty sure. While they look similar, the fit is very very different from my understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXURYf8GykU