Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

CCM P45 - Alternatives?

A post about sticks? Back to normal. 

I recently picked up a CCM RBZ 260, which I like, but the curve I purchased it in, the Tavares P45, is now only available on the Super Tacks and RBZ 290 (in senior, all according to CCM). What is a similar, more available alternative? I find the curve works really well for slapshots and snapshots (I'm normally awful at them), and wrist shots are good as well.

EDIT: I'm not buying a new stick now, but this is in the future when I outgrow or break the RBZ.

9 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

A post about sticks? Back to normal. 

I recently picked up a CCM RBZ 260, which I like, but the curve I purchased it in, the Tavares P45, is now only available on the Super Tacks and RBZ 290 (in senior, all according to CCM). What is a similar, more available alternative? I find the curve works really well for slapshots and snapshots (I'm normally awful at them), and wrist shots are good as well.

EDIT: I'm not buying a new stick now, but this is in the future when I outgrow or break the RBZ.

I play with a few guys looking for alts to the P45 and most are looking at the P40 MacKinnon, but who knows if CCM is dropping the hammer on that one too. Might lead people to go with those who offer the 88.

1 hour ago, nutters said:

I play with a few guys looking for alts to the P45 and most are looking at the P40 MacKinnon, but who knows if CCM is dropping the hammer on that one too. Might lead people to go with those who offer the 88.

I would think the P40 is a good bet. If they can the P40, they'd have to do so in favour of a P88 (P80 in CCM pro stock code I believe) or similar blade. There isn't a stick marker in the market that doesn't offer a deep mid curve with a closed face like the P40.

The P40 differs from the P88 slightly in blade length and the toe is slightly more squarish, but that wouldn't be too radical a transition for anyone that's attached to the P40.

colins

7 minutes ago, colins said:

I would think the P40 is a good bet. If they can the P40, they'd have to do so in favour of a P88 (P80 in CCM pro stock code I believe) or similar blade. There isn't a stick marker in the market that doesn't offer a deep mid curve with a closed face like the P40.

The P40 differs from the P88 slightly in blade length and the toe is slightly more squarish, but that wouldn't be too radical a transition for anyone that's attached to the P40.

colins

Apparently it's gone on the Super Tacks 2.0, and the difference is fine to me.

29 minutes ago, colins said:

colins

It's too bad that CCM/Reebok never had a true 88 clone (not that I can remember, at least). Back on topic, IW has the 45, 40 and 88 as comparable in each description.

44 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Maybe it has changed, but as recently as all the most recent past lines, didn't some have exclusive patterns?   

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I've seen blade charts that show both the P40 and P30 in the new CCM lineup - it will be interesting to see what is offered on which sticks. Does anyone know anything about the P30 other than it having a round toe vs. the squarish toe on the P40? It's described as a short blade, mid curve, but I've seen it called 'closed' whereas the P40 is sometimes listed as 'slightly open' (I'd call it closed, doesn't seem open to me at all).

colins

23 minutes ago, colins said:

I've seen blade charts that show both the P40 and P30 in the new CCM lineup - it will be interesting to see what is offered on which sticks. Does anyone know anything about the P30 other than it having a round toe vs. the squarish toe on the P40? It's described as a short blade, mid curve, but I've seen it called 'closed' whereas the P40 is sometimes listed as 'slightly open' (I'd call it closed, doesn't seem open to me at all).

colins

The p40 is definitely slightly open if you ask me, not much, but it is there. 

7 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Per inlinewarehouse chart, P30 is a goalie pattern.

P30 is the new curve, according to HockeyMonkey EUCCM_262x140_curve-2.jpg

Yeah I've seen that chart, and the same info is in the new CCM catalog, but from the visual it's hard to tell what's different between the P30 and P40 except for the round toe. Looks like it might have more rocker than the P40 as well. Anyone compared a P40 to a P30 in real life to make a comment on the difference?

leNw4Mg.jpg

colins

10 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Per inlinewarehouse chart, P30 is a goalie pattern.

There's also an old P30 Rebook Bergeron pattern circa 2008 that looks like it was an Iginla clone. Nothing like a bit of confusion w.r.t pattern names... unless this new CCM P30 is a resurrection of the old Rebook P30 pattern??

colins

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

Image result for reebok p30 curveReebok-2009.jpg

Looks similar.

Where's the CCM stick manager to chime in here? I'd love to know what they've been thinking - first they kill the P19, then bring it back a generation later (if that's not acknowledgement of a mistake I don't know what is).

So good on them to recognize the mistake and fix it. But now the P40 gets killed in the process? What benefit does the P30 have? What's the thinking here and what is the benefit? You've just pissed off all the P40 fans like you did when you killed the P19 - what's the draw in the P30 that should sell them on this 'improvement'? All I can see is they've rounded off the toe - I like the squarish toe of the p40, if I wanted a P88 I'd go buy a Bauer or a True MC.

colins

The thinking is that they want to produce what will sell. Demand is the ultimate decider in whether a pattern is produced. If a pattern is killed then most likely they weren't seeing enough sales to justify its production.

10 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

The thinking is that they want to produce what will sell. Demand is the ultimate decider in whether a pattern is produced. If a pattern is killed then most likely they weren't seeing enough sales to justify its production.

So you're saying the P19 was killed because they weren't seeing enough sales? And so - it's being brought back now why exactly?

Also the P40 is being killed because it's not selling enough... so the P30 which looks very similar but with a round toe... they have research that says square toes don't sell as well as round toes for a mid curve closed face?

I know what you're saying, but I don't see how it applies to the P19 and P40 in this case, given what we know so far based on the info in this thread. What is special about the P30 that makes it a better selling replacement for the P40, can anyone attempts to answer that?

colins

The reason to bring a pattern back would be enough requests/commitment from shops to carry the pattern. I can't speak for what research they have or don't have. What we know based on this thread is that there are a small handful of guys who are going to miss a certain pattern. I wish Easton didn't kill the Iginla pattern and I'm sure I could find a handful of guys around this site who agree. That doesn't prove or disprove anything.

7 hours ago, colins said:

So you're saying the P19 was killed because they weren't seeing enough sales? And so - it's being brought back now why exactly?

Also the P40 is being killed because it's not selling enough... so the P30 which looks very similar but with a round toe... they have research that says square toes don't sell as well as round toes for a mid curve closed face?

I know what you're saying, but I don't see how it applies to the P19 and P40 in this case, given what we know so far based on the info in this thread. What is special about the P30 that makes it a better selling replacement for the P40, can anyone attempts to answer that?

colins

I think you are overthinking this and seem to get aggravated because they are discontinuing a pattern that you like, it is understandable, but as mentionned above sales probably dictated all of this. I rarely see this pattern and dont remember the last i saw a teammate using one.

The big thing was / is the p92 for a number of years now, most people around me use it, but i also see the e28/p28 slowly taking over as it seems to be the "new fancy pattern to have". 

14 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I think you are overthinking this and seem to get aggravated because they are discontinuing a pattern that you like, it is understandable, but as mentionned above sales probably dictated all of this. I rarely see this pattern and dont remember the last i saw a teammate using one.

The big thing was / is the p92 for a number of years now, most people around me use it, but i also see the e28/p28 slowly taking over as it seems to be the "new fancy pattern to have". 

Yup, P92-style by miles. A lot of guys who just want a pattern that is good for everything a long with it being almost the only one available at places such as Canadian Tire are the reasons I believe. P28 will grow because it can get most shots high, while a pattern like the P45, P46, PM9, etc are tailored to a certain style that most don't want to take the time and learn or looks too close to what they think is illegal (older guys).