Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rawkstar

ccm skate construction question

Looking at the new jetspeed skates and finding myself thoroughly confused by the marketing and the supposed features. ft390, ft380, ft370 all say they have the rocketframe composite quarter, the only difference is they have speedcore 1, 2, or 3. 

Does anyone know what a speedcore is, where it goes and what the difference is between speedcore 1, 2, and 3? Is it a layer in the quarterpackage? The descriptions for all of those are essentially the same. Do the numbers 1, 2, 3 designate stiffness? Do higher numbers bake/wrap better? Whats the difference there?

I'm pretty sure it's the material between the shell and the liner. 

I would guess the differences are in durability and how thermoformable they are. I really don't know though. Just a guess. Haha.

Yeah, looks like Speedcore is the upper/quarter material construction and differs in weight, stiffness and thermo-moldable properties.  1 is on the lowest level skate.  3 on the highest level skate.  Think the rocketframe is more the bottom of the boot into the heel, similar to the Makos, with that ultra stiff carbon/composite construction.  Not sure that is heat moldable.

I thought rocket frame is just the back of the boot shell design that improves ankle lock and reduces negative space around the ankle. Basically an alternative to "deep-v", 3d, and other heel-lock methods.

17 hours ago, rawkstar said:

Looking at the new jetspeed skates and finding myself thoroughly confused by the marketing and the supposed features. ft390, ft380, ft370 all say they have the rocketframe composite quarter, the only difference is they have speedcore 1, 2, or 3. 

Does anyone know what a speedcore is, where it goes and what the difference is between speedcore 1, 2, and 3? Is it a layer in the quarterpackage? The descriptions for all of those are essentially the same. Do the numbers 1, 2, 3 designate stiffness? Do higher numbers bake/wrap better? Whats the difference there?

Your instincts are good. Speedcore refers to the internal structure of the skates and the number refers to the stiffness and moldability of the materials used. For reference, the original high-end Jetspeed used the Speedcore 2 so the 390 is both stiffer and more moldable than that skate since it uses Speedcore 3. 

Hope this helps.

15 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I thought rocket frame is just the back of the boot shell design that improves ankle lock and reduces negative space around the ankle. Basically an alternative to "deep-v", 3d, and other heel-lock methods.

I think you're right on this one. Seems like Rocketframe promoted heel lock while something like the Attackframe on Tacks promotes forward flex and acceleration. I could be wrong though.

Either way those new FT1's look pretty awesome. I really want to try out one of CCM's new single-boot construction.

When I had my Easton S15's I loved them. The padlock in the heel was amazing and I thought the one piece construction was great. I'm actually surprised that it took CCM this long to go to this design and that Bauer hasn't added it yet. Now that CCM has the FT1 with what I think is (jetspeed) currently the best heel lock in the business along with the one piece construction, I can't help but want to try this skate on. 

Curious what this actual heel size would be considered. AA?

On 4/3/2017 at 7:57 PM, A2rhino said:

When I had my Easton S15's I loved them. The padlock in the heel was amazing and I thought the one piece construction was great. I'm actually surprised that it took CCM this long to go to this design and that Bauer hasn't added it yet. Now that CCM has the FT1 with what I think is (jetspeed) currently the best heel lock in the business along with the one piece construction, I can't help but want to try this skate on. 

Curious what this actual heel size would be considered. AA?

It's an A. The heel lock really comes from the curvature of the boot and not necessarily how close the walls are together. It's a better lock because it fits better, not just smaller. A (maybe confusing) analogy is the old square peg, round hole saying. Best way to make a square peg fit is to make the hole square too... Hope this clarifies and doesn't make it more confusing. I hope you try the skates on, they really are great.