Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott8659

Super Tacks fit issue

Currently in Bauer Supreme s190's but would like something with more volume.  I tried on a pair of Super Tacks in a 5d but was having some arch pain and some pain/pressure along the outside of my foot.  Would I be better off with a EE or do these areas mold once baked?

Also, I only an E league rec player and I'm worried these will be too stiff.  I'm 5' 7" and about 210 pounds and the orthopedist that did my custom insoles recommended a stiff skate but will something this stiff hamper my progression?

I've tried Nexus skates and they are too wide in the forefoot and the heel lock is lacking.   The width of my 190's isn't the issue, it's the instep depth.  The outer edge of the right skate also slams against the side of my leg just above the ankle.  The pain gets worse as the game goes on and by the middle of the 2nd period I can no longer push off with my right foot.  

My orthotics are designed for hockey skates and are thin carbon fiber.  They only take up the same volume as a pair of Superfeet.  I've tried a pair of 2014 Tacks but I could feel my heel slipping.  I didn't want to buy them in the hopes that baking them would tighten up the heel.  The Super Tacks felt great in the heel but with the issues outlined above. 

Which season Nexus did you try? The current Nexus line is lasted on the same last as the Supremes, only difference is instep, which id your issue with the supremes.

1 hour ago, scott8659 said:

I've tried Nexus skates and they are too wide in the forefoot and the heel lock is lacking.   The width of my 190's isn't the issue, it's the instep depth.  The outer edge of the right skate also slams against the side of my leg just above the ankle.  The pain gets worse as the game goes on and by the middle of the 2nd period I can no longer push off with my right foot.  

My orthotics are designed for hockey skates and are thin carbon fiber.  They only take up the same volume as a pair of Superfeet.  I've tried a pair of 2014 Tacks but I could feel my heel slipping.  I didn't want to buy them in the hopes that baking them would tighten up the heel.  The Super Tacks felt great in the heel but with the issues outlined above. 

Hmm. In my opinion if you are willing to drop $900 on a pair of Super Tacks, look into VH Skates. i think every person on MHS who has them would tell you they are worth the $$$. I've been able to make retail skates work with some boot punching so for me that's ok. But if you have the $ and can't find a retail skate that works for your foot type, VH will be your best bet. 

4 hours ago, scott8659 said:

Currently in Bauer Supreme s190's but would like something with more volume.  I tried on a pair of Super Tacks in a 5d but was having some arch pain and some pain/pressure along the outside of my foot.  Would I be better off with a EE or do these areas mold once baked?

Also, I only an E league rec player and I'm worried these will be too stiff.  I'm 5' 7" and about 210 pounds and the orthopedist that did my custom insoles recommended a stiff skate but will something this stiff hamper my progression?

Perhaps wait for FT1? I fit in a 8.5D Jetspeed but was tight in a 8.5EE Supertacks.

12 hours ago, scott8659 said:

I went to a fitter a few weeks ago who was well versed and a big CCM fan. He said the #1 issue with the super tack fit was the outside foot pain and that it would not subside with baking. Personally I would focus on the current Nexus line.  As for stiffness, I think biomechanically any adult skate sold today for over $200 has all the stiffness you need. Unless your orthopod is up on skate tech, his idea of stiff boot may be different from your idea of stiff.

I was in Jet Speed Max 2's before the Supremes and they were way too shallow.  The Nexus skate was the new N9000 and it was too wide.

Even with the VH skates the stiffness issue is there.  How stiff is too stiff for a rec league player?

I think it really depends on if you feel like it's hindering your movement. 

Outside of that it's more a matter of if you really NEED the benefits of a stiffer boot at your level of play. I'm not very good, but I prefer a stiffer boot. There's a guy on my team who is an amazing skater and he likes soft boots, hates the stiff ones. YMMV. 

2 hours ago, scott8659 said:

I was in Jet Speed Max 2's before the Supremes and they were way too shallow.  The Nexus skate was the new N9000 and it was too wide.

Even with the VH skates the stiffness issue is there.  How stiff is too stiff for a rec league player?

I'll assume you have tried different lacing patterns to allow for a loser fit in the areas where it is tight, this CAN also allow for more depth if you use an inside out lacing pattern and then an outside in for places you need more support. VH offers an addt'l protection layer which increases stiffness of the boot so that may be an option if you are adamant about getting new wheels.

I will say that I have to be very careful with how I lace and tighten my EE 190's, too much it compresses my arch area and hurts like hell when I take t off, even with areas punched. Too little tension on areas I don't feel supported enough. 

I will throw another option out to you...  it sounds like you need a Supreme E, not EE.  Thats custom HOWEVER, a Vapor EE is roughly equivalent to a Supreme E.    Try on a pair of EE vapors.  

23 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I will throw another option out to you...  it sounds like you need a Supreme E, not EE.  Thats custom HOWEVER, a Vapor EE is roughly equivalent to a Supreme E.    Try on a pair of EE vapors.  

Vapors will only make his depth issues worse.

I don't have a width issue with the Supremes.  Vapors and Jet Speeds would only make the volume issue worse.  While I appreciate all the suggestions I have already tried every pair of retail skates available.  The only ones that have the potential of a better fit than my current Supremes are the Ultra Tacks or Super Tacks.  My concerns were the heel in a EE, is it much wider than the standard D skate?  And the stiffness, will either of these be too stiff for a rec league player?

2 hours ago, scott8659 said:

I don't have a width issue with the Supremes.  Vapors and Jet Speeds would only make the volume issue worse.  While I appreciate all the suggestions I have already tried every pair of retail skates available.  The only ones that have the potential of a better fit than my current Supremes are the Ultra Tacks or Super Tacks.  My concerns were the heel in a EE, is it much wider than the standard D skate?  And the stiffness, will either of these be too stiff for a rec league player?

I tried the ultra tacks this week and thought the depth was slightly less than Supremes, could also attribute it to new vs. broken in skates. 

I'm confused....is the issue really depth or is it the top of the quarter panel digging into your leg? That's a completely separate issue and can be fixed pretty easily.

As for stiffness, there is no hard fast rule about how stiff your skates need to be for the level you play at. You probably don't need a top end skate, but being a bigger guy it would be wise to lean towards a stiffer boot, it will last longer.