Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

NHL officially out of 2018 Olympics

I think that you ask the large majority of hockey players if not all, winning the Stanley cup is a higher honour and a bigger achievement than winning a gold medal at the Olympics. 

As a league that struggles for market share in the United States compared to other major sports and the time window they'd shut down They probably see it as more than a minor inconvenience. 

Saw an article today that said players who are playing in the AHL on AHL contracts will be allowed to go to the Olympics. The link was on facebook...now I can't find it. Damnit. Does anyone else have the info/details

Interesting development, I wonder how USA hockey and Hockey Canada are going to approach the Olympics, has there been any noise yet?

On 7/20/2017 at 5:50 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Cool! Hopefully there will be a way to watch these KHL games in NA. Have been watching NHLs last season on NHL.TV, it would be pretty sweet to watch something live.

As for olympics, AHL, even a non NHL kind, can definitely bring some competition on behalf of American hockey. Glad that at least this is in play now.

35 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Sochi hockey open is on youtube. Russian Olympic team vc. HC Sochi is live in a few minutes I think.

Or not... can not find the link now. If anyone knows how to watch, please share.

Finlay ended up watching a couple of games from Sochi Hockey Open 2017.

SKA St. Pet. vs. Metalurg (4:2 respectively)

HC Sochi vs Canada (0:1 OT)

There was also HC Sochi vs Russia yesterday (1:5) which I only could find highlights for.

Since both Canada and Russia national teams won against HC Sochi, both will meet tomorrow for what can be a pretty interesting game. Canada consists of pro players from Europe. Russian team also is not as star ridden as some would expect. Shestyorkin is probably the only notable player (SKA St.Pit. main goalie). Rest of the team is of a similar status as the Canadian team. Interestingly enough Rissian team is referred as Russia-2 suggesting that there is Russia-1 team which perhaps will compete in Puchkov's tournament. Canada will also compete in Puchkov's tournament with a different roster from todays game.

I have been watching NHL reruns from NHL.TV of the last season, and it was a breath of fresh air to see this. Games were high pace and of a good skill, however, SKA St.Pit vs. Metalurg was a different level.... more of a NHL level I would say (not surprisingly with Kovalchuk, Tikhonov and a few other prominent hockey figures). Must say, Kovy still got this. First goal was a result of magic-man in its prime worthy pass from Kovy. He also had a couple of break-aways and a nice d-play when they were a man short.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:50 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/wharnsby/tim-wharnsby-hockey-canada-exhibition-games-russia-1.4211722

If I read this correctly, you'd have to be an AHL player that has a NHL two-way contract. 

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07/minor-leaguers-on-nhl-contracts-cant-go-to-olympics/

Looks like 2-way players are a no-go. "That’s what deputy commissioner Bill Daly told the Associated Press on Monday, explaining that players signed to two-way contracts — or loaned to minor league affiliates by their clubs — wouldn’t be allowed to participate in the Olympics." I'll still watch but it will be a diminished product...

Last winter, Colby Armstrong joked that if the NHL didn't go to the Olympics, he'd try out for the Canadian Olympic team. 

I'd definitely watch a shitty reality show about him trying to get back in shape to play Olympic hockey.