Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I know I was pretty cryptic in the Venting/Sweet Spots a couple of weeks ago, but I'm slowly getting better at this; over the past few years I've tried to keep things to myself/a certain few, but I think it's good for me to put things out there at this time.

A week after Winterfest, my girlfriend noticed that she was leaking something out of her right breast.  We went to the hospital and they figured it was just an infection, and put her on antibiotics, but suggested she go get a mammogram.

A few weeks later, she got the mammogram, but then they suggested she get a MRI.  The MRI showed enough to the point that they recommended a biopsy.

In mid-March, they diagnosed her with breast cancer, and recommended removing the right breast. It was detected early; due to one of the locations of the tumors, since it was in the duct, whatever it was creating had a way out through the nipple, which alerted us to what was going on. 

Due to her family history, she opted to remove both.  Hours after, we decided to get married.  We pulled off a great wedding in 11 days, and some of our members flew up to Michigan to share that day with us.

She's doing well, bandages are off and we will start chemo in early May.  The oncologist is saying 3-6 months; we're hoping for the under on that.

She is tracking her progress on her GoFundMe page, and will also have a blog soon.  

Thanks for the support.  I have a rather large extended family here!

• Like 10

We are all here to support the both of you!!!!!  Your strength through all of this so far has been amazing!  You are so lucky to have each other.

Edited by dkmiller3356
dumb typo... hear vs here. Duh....
  • Like 2

Howdy,

Wow... Scary and happy both!

Serious medical stuff for someone you love is crazy.  My wife had some serious brain related stuff that started last Sept.  Things have since settled down and are back to normal, but for a while there (particularly the first month or so) it was just mentally moving and reacting and constant "what if" with lots of paths leading to bad things.  And all through that you're learning way more than you ever wanted to know about various hospitals, medical conditions, etc.  Its nuts.  I can't imagine also throwing in a wedding!

I'm glad that things seem to be moving forward in a good way for you.  Hopefully catching it early will mean no issues with a full recovery!

Mark

Echoing the sentiments already shared.  Congrats and fight like hell (not with each other).  Turning something as scary and uncertain as cancer into something as wonderful and loving as marriage speaks volumes about you both and your relationship.

It sounds like she is on the path to recovery, remission, and giving cancer the ol' 1 finger salute.  That is positive news.

The birth of our son awoke some dormant health issues in my wife, so I can fully understand the emotions and distraction that hits your life when these types of things happen.  It changes things in a way that often erases "the way things used to be" and becomes your new normal.  You learn to live and thrive and celebrate the joys of life just a little bit more. 

• Like 1

Wishing you guys the best JR - I'm glad to hear they caught it early on.  And congratulations on getting hitched - an 11 day turnaround on that is pretty damn impressive! 

Best of luck to both of you!

Life is always going to be changing, just stay positive while rolling with the changes and you'll always have a happy life.

Hey JR. Haven't been on the forums in a LONG time due to health issues of my own and not sure if you will even see this due to what I can only imagine the two of you are going through. Congratulations on the marriage and sending positive thoughts in your wife's direction! Hoping for a speedy and full recovery.

• Like 2

A year?! Damn man. I unfortunately know how it goes all too well, with my sister doing chemo at 16 and my mother last year. Wishing the best for you guys, If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away!

Good on both of you!

A bit late to the game here. Nothing is more scary than the unknown journey; nothing is more rewarding than to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Some of you know, most of you don't, but we've moved back to Florida.  We got here on Friday.

The Friday after SummerJam, we found out that my mom had tumors on her spine and lungs.  It turns out she has Stage 4 small cell lung cancer.  

She started chemo a couple of weeks ago, so they're hoping she responds well to it.  

We were very fortunate to be able to get everything to line up well; we have friends who are going to be renting our house.  Kinda weird going from a house to my old bedroom, but I need to get whatever time I can with my mom while I still can.

I was able to bring up all of the machinery for the Pro Shop (but wasn't able to bring any of my hockey equipment) as we loaded up both cars.  We'll come back for the rest of the other stuff at some point. I have to clean up the garage to set it up for the Prosharp, so the Project will be on hold for a little bit.  I can probably start sharpening skates in a couple of days.