Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crow93

Ribcor 70K Skates

1 hour ago, the iceman said:

DId they get rid of the lace lock too?

Yes both pump and lace lock are gone. 
I really like the lace lock on my 46K's, good thing I wont be in the market for a new pair any time soon. 

Last time I checked, lace locks were kind of hard to get for a reasonable price. 

Why are people excited about getting rid of these? Was there a disadvantage to having lacelocks  and pumps on skates? If you owned the product, I I don't think either affected usage or quality, and if you didn't own them, who cares? 

Howdy,

25 minutes ago, start_today said:

Last time I checked, lace locks were kind of hard to get for a reasonable price. 

Why are people excited about getting rid of these? Was there a disadvantage to having lacelocks  and pumps on skates? If you owned the product, I I don't think either affected usage or quality, and if you didn't own them, who cares? 

I was able to get lace locks from a local shop for reasonable money, and CCM was helpful when I contacted them as well.  Never found anything worthwhile online though.

That said, I totally agree.  I really like lace locks and wish more skates had them.  I added them to my Mako M8's and they work ok, but its not as good as my old Ribcors (in terms of the lace locks only), as the mounting point for the lace lock is further out of line with the regular eyelets on those, so that the lock ends up in line with the eyelets.  It just works better.

I much prefer actual lace locks to fucking around with lacing patterns or whatever.  Not sure why it never really caught on.

Mark

1 hour ago, start_today said:

No pump = 75 grams less in each skate.

They look a lot nicer than CCM's other skates.

Did the facing pattern change too? I thought the __K-series had been more L-shaped until now. These look very C-shaped. They just didn't mention a change in the video.

4 hours ago, flip12 said:

They look a lot nicer than CCM's other skates.

Did the facing pattern change too? I thought the __K-series had been more L-shaped until now. These look very C-shaped. They just didn't mention a change in the video.

FWIW the guy from HockeyTutorial says that he likes the 70K more than he likes his VH skates (in a recent video where he is unboxing stuff at his HQ). I have never heard him get so excited over a retail skate (previous retail that he seemed to like best was Mako). So, I would not be surprised if thee significant type changes that you reference, were made (but the guy doing the promo video may not have wanted to talk over the "average consumer's" head, and thus he may have failed to mention these nuances that only we would appreciate).

Edited by Cosmic
  • Like 1

Since the first go round with Pumps in Tacks skates back in the late 80's-90's I've hated how gimmicky the feature was. I hated it the first go round because the bladders  were rupturing with regularity.  I think a skate either fits you or it doesn't. If you are relying on a bladder of air and a small pump (that could possibly fail at some point) to achieve a usable fit, it's probably not the best fitting skate for you.  The 50K was probably near ideal in terms of volume for my foot shape, but passed because of the pump.  I believe the pump free 70K will attract more potential users than it will lose by deleting this feature.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

FWIW the guy from HockeyTutorial says that he likes the 70K more than he likes his VH skates (in a recent video where he is unboxing stuff at his HQ). I have never heard him get so excited over a retail skate (previous retail that he seemed to like best was Mako). So, I would not be surprised if thee significant type changes that you reference, were made (but the guy doing the promo video may not have wanted to talk over the "average consumer's" head, and thus he may have failed to mention these nuances that only we would appreciate).

Do you have a link for that? I'd love to see that video as he was incredibly positive about his VH. With a quick search I couldn't find it.

1 minute ago, flip12 said:

Do you have a link for that? I'd love to see that video as he was incredibly positive about his VH. With a quick search I couldn't find it.

I think around halfway thru to the end, if you do not want to watch all 18 minutes. He just says they are great, not much else:

I'm just puzzled about some of the features, maybe @BelangerJS can illuminate some of the obscure points? What's the difference between the "injection boot" base for the 66K and 64K versus the 70K and 68K? Injection makes me think of injection molded plastic. Is it that? Are the 70K and 68K a layup composite boot whereas the 66K and 64K are injection molded plastic, or is that completely the wrong line of thought?

Also, what exactly is special about the ankle pads? How do they differ from those in the JetSpeed and Tacks? The review from thehockeyshop says it's a different foam that's been pro exclusive without mentioning anything else about what makes it special.

I am under impression that the Injection process in skates is the typical plastic injection-molding such as used in making household items. Difference however is that instead of injecting one kind of plastic in the mold, in skates they can, lay in fibers such as aramid for reinforcement and inject a few different composites of different stiffness in the different areas of the mold to make skates stuff where they need to be and soft where they need to be more flexible.

Got to wear these at the SFS show. Hands down the best fitting and feeling skate I wore at the whole show. I was impressed by the way they accommodated my width and depth, generally K skates in the past have not. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Got to wear these at the SFS show. Hands down the best fitting and feeling skate I wore at the whole show. I was impressed by the way they accommodated my width and depth, generally K skates in the past have not. 

Awesome.  For comparison, what do you skate in now? 

I'd love for these to work for me. I'm in an APX 2 C/AAA width but prefer a softer boot. They'll probably be too wide but I'll definitely give them a try on at minimum. 

Cool.  The Makos in EE were super comfy and fit me pretty well everywhere but the heel.  My Graf 535 wide fit my foot really well, but I've struggled to adapt to the lower cuff height and much softer boot.  As a new skater, coming from Vapor x4.0 EEs, a much stiffer boot allowed me to compensate for my weak ankles and pronation issues.  There is nowhere to hide in the Grafs.  The Vapors had less than ideal heel lock and had to get them punched in a few spots in the forefoot, but kept my ankles from flopping around.  I should have kept them, but stupidly sold them before really running the Grafs through their paces.  Although maybe a blessing as the Grafs expose just how weak I am, so I am starting to do some strengthening exercises. 

My LHS fitter started to talk to me about the Ribcors as another option last time I was in there that I might want to try at some point.  With the new model coming out, I am tempted to pick up some of the last version on clearance, but this new version sounds like there are some improvements I could really use/appreciate.