Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
crow93

Ribcor 70K Skates

Recommended Posts

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of 70k.  Anyone have any long term feedback, positive or negative?  I'm 47 years old, so I prefer something a little more traditional feeling.  For reference, my favourite skate ever was the Micron Mega 10-90.  I generally don't like anything stiffer than something like the OG Jetspeed, (hate curv skates).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boo10 said:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of 70k.  Anyone have any long term feedback, positive or negative?  I'm 47 years old, so I prefer something a little more traditional feeling.  For reference, my favourite skate ever was the Micron Mega 10-90.  I generally don't like anything stiffer than something like the OG Jetspeed, (hate curv skates).

If you can find a pair in your size still I'd say snatch them up asap, you won't be sorry!  I searched for a pair in my size but couldn't find any (aside from a few on ebay that were advertised at orig. retail price still) so I picked up a pair of 78K's which are extremely similar (one step down from the 80k's, very similar to the 70k).  I love the fit and feel, they def remind me more of an older traditional fitting boot which is what I was searching for (I had a pair of Vapors that were too stiff and felt too tall, and a pair of Supreme's before that which also felt too stiff and weren't a great fit for my foot).  The Ribcors have great cushioning on the ankle that feel amazing while offering good stability but not being super stiff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I picked up the 70K, but unfortunately they don't seem like they will work for me.  Heel and ankle feels awesome, but too tight in the forefoot.  Boot also feels short in comparison to Tacks and Jetspeed in the same size.  I'm thinking maybe the thick padding just pushes your foot too far forward.  Was going to try a bake to see what happens, but I'm not very optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Well I picked up the 70K, but unfortunately they don't seem like they will work for me.  Heel and ankle feels awesome, but too tight in the forefoot.  Boot also feels short in comparison to Tacks and Jetspeed in the same size.  I'm thinking maybe the thick padding just pushes your foot too far forward.  Was going to try a bake to see what happens, but I'm not very optimistic.

Wait, you didn’t bake them yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Well I picked up the 70K, but unfortunately they don't seem like they will work for me.  Heel and ankle feels awesome, but too tight in the forefoot.  Boot also feels short in comparison to Tacks and Jetspeed in the same size.  I'm thinking maybe the thick padding just pushes your foot too far forward.  Was going to try a bake to see what happens, but I'm not very optimistic.

 

I don't know if I'd give up right away - most folks seem to report that the 70K starts off feeling the right size, but then loosens up a bit. If you bake and keep using them you might find they fit perfect. That "thick padding" is very thermo-formable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Wait, you didn’t bake them yet? 

Not yet.  Bought them online with the plan to take them in to the store for a bake, (same retailer).

21 minutes ago, colins said:

 

I don't know if I'd give up right away - most folks seem to report that the 70K starts off feeling the right size, but then loosens up a bit. If you bake and keep using them you might find they fit perfect. That "thick padding" is very thermo-formable.

That's what I was told, but I'm mostly concerned with the width.  The tight spot is right at the edge of the toe cap, which generally can't be stretched/punched.

If it was only a couple hundred bucks I'd probably take the chance, but not sure I want to take a $500 risk.

Never considered myself to have particularly odd feet, but none of the current skate models fits me perfectly. I'm at the point where I'd go with True, but I don't like their holder/steel.  Not too keen on paying a custom skate price and then immediately paying a couple hundred more for XS holders and steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boo10 said:

Not yet.  Bought them online with the plan to take them in to the store for a bake, (same retailer).

That's what I was told, but I'm mostly concerned with the width.  The tight spot is right at the edge of the toe cap, which generally can't be stretched/punched.

If it was only a couple hundred bucks I'd probably take the chance, but not sure I want to take a $500 risk.

Never considered myself to have particularly odd feet, but none of the current skate models fits me perfectly. I'm at the point where I'd go with True, but I don't like their holder/steel.  Not too keen on paying a custom skate price and then immediately paying a couple hundred more for XS holders and steel.

When your foot settles all the way back into the boot that trouble spot might move enough to where it's now punchable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 68Ks felt amazing in the shop. Especially after the bake. It's crazy how the padding kinda melts around your heel. Then for the first maybe 30-40 hours on ice I thought I made a huge mistake. Now I crank them down and they hurt for a couple of minutes (10ish) but then they feel great. I consider them one of the best purchases of my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I tried the bake but unfortunately I ultimately decided to return them.  Post bake the length did improve a bit, but the width by the toe cap was still a bit painful.  I also found that after baking the instep depth was starting to become an issue.  I was right on the cusp of the boot being too shallow pre bake, (failed pencil test by a bit).  After the bake with better eyelet wrap, the depth started to be mildly uncomfortable.  I probably could have made these skates work with eyelet extenders, punching, etc. But I'm just too lazy to do that. 😃

Despite my experience, I still think these are fantastic skates.  If they fit you well I'd definitely recommend them.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions, it's what makes this community so great.

Cheers!

Edited by boo10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×