Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedslappah

Inside Wear Pads Eroding and Damaging skate

I play on a surface like this.

Ia3mQBV.jpg

When you stop on this surface, you sort of slide and sometimes the inside of the skate boot impacts the surface and slides. The friction of repeated slides badly wore my wear pads and even part of the boot itself. 

Only has these skates for less than a year. Anyone have this problem? Anything I can do to prevent future wear going forward on current skates or new skates when I buy? Here's what current skate looks like. It's almost eroding to the point of leaving a hole in the boot.

nSFktKF.jpg

mateflex. hate that stuff. I mostly use my junky outdoor skates when I am on it so it doesn't bother me too much, go through wheels like crazy though.

What the hell kind of surface is that?

Also, holy $*!@. Those poor skates. Are they lower end in their line? Thats crazy after only 1 year.

I've been layering hockey tape + pro-toe over the sides of my inline boots for years.  I used to play on asphalt surfaces 3-4 times a week, and that stuff'll tear your boots up like nothing else.  

Tape plus pro-toe would usually last for a few weeks before I had to redo it.  I don't even know if you can still find pro-toe, but an oil based paint brushed on should do the trick.Other people I've played with have used fiberglass or epoxy resin to layer the area and add more protection as well. 

Maybe a set of shot blockers? 

Would that actually work with inline skates?

mateflex. hate that stuff. I mostly use my junky outdoor skates when I am on it so it doesn't bother me too much, go through wheels like crazy though.

yup its mateflex and yeah unfortunately most of my time is spent on it.

What the hell kind of surface is that?

Also, holy $*!@. Those poor skates. Are they lower end in their line? Thats crazy after only 1 year.

as someone else said, it's mateflex. and it's a lower-mid tier skate. Inhaler AC4s. Old but i got em new almost a year ago.

I've been layering hockey tape + pro-toe over the sides of my inline boots for years.  I used to play on asphalt surfaces 3-4 times a week, and that stuff'll tear your boots up like nothing else.  

Tape plus pro-toe would usually last for a few weeks before I had to redo it.  I don't even know if you can still find pro-toe, but an oil based paint brushed on should do the trick.Other people I've played with have used fiberglass or epoxy resin to layer the area and add more protection as well. 

Looks like it still exists. See it available on online retailer sites. Will defintely look into it.

I think the easiest fix would be to get a small tube of fast set of Epoxy (from the home store) and just put a couple layers over the wear spot. it will build it up a little and dry rock hard. It wont be bullet proof but at least you'll be wearing through the epoxy and not your boot. When the epoxy slubs off, put on another layer. 

OR they used to make a product called "Shoe Goo" for skateboarders. It's like a liquid rubber that you could put on the sole of your shoes to keep the skate board grip tape from eating through it. It's more rubbery than epoxy but easier to work with.