Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've heard nothing but great things about the P28 curve and its wrist and snapshot benefits, but one question I have being a strong slapshotting defenseman, is it still a good curve? Like if I took a clapper with the curve, would it still be good or would it lift too high or not contact right?

it's not the easiest curve to pull off slapshots with, its sweet spot is a bit smaller than say a drury curve where you can basically hit any part of the blade and you'll get a good shot off. You can still get clean accurate slapshots with some practice. 

I just went from a P29 to a P28 this year. The advantage for me was it's easier to get shots of with the toe of the blade. As for slapshots, didn't find it any more difficult to take a slapshot with it. But found it a lot easier to take a back hand because there's a larger flat spot between the heel and the curve. The two curves are similar, so it wasn't much of a adjustment for me.

Certain curves are better fits to a certain type of player's game because it makes doing certain things like roofing the puck easier. But IMHO, it's possible for anyone to use any curve. You just have to adjust to it. Sometimes that adjustment is big. Other times it's not. A lot of it depends on what blade you're coming from and how committed you are to making that adjustment.

I take slapshots off the heel and wristers off the toe. Both shots work fine if you just have awareness of these aspects as you are going through the motions. I do not shoot snapshots- just never got comfortable with them.

With the P28, the hardest thing for me to adjust to with this is contested puck pick ups. With the P88, I could use it almost like a snow shovel, with so much blade on the ice to just scoop up pucks. The "dual lie" almost gives you a half of a blade x2, and you kind of have to decide which blade to use in an instant, when skating into the contested puck pick up scenario. 

It's like the P45 with a toe hook and not a sort of wedge - there is probably a sweet spot, but it takes time to find and may not be easy to find in a game. 

I've really moved away from the idea of the P28, but might go back because there are some CHEAP sticks with the curve.

I agree with Cosmic.  The benefit of the P28 is in the curve of the toe.  If you get your hands out in front of your body, you can really slingshot pucks off the toe with a quick snap.  By doing this you get the shot off with a shorter shooting motion, which gets the puck off the blade more quickly.  If that's how you shoot, the P28 will be a good blade for you, particularly when combined with a low kick stick.  It is how I shoot, and I did see an increase in velocity and release quickness when I could get the puck into the right shooting position.  But as a defenseman, I had too many problems with contested plays and situations where I didn't have time to get the puck to the toe and my hands in front.  Those plays were way too inconsistent.  Pucks would flutter.  Pucks would float on me.  I'd fan on pucks, or shoot/pass ducks. I'd lose the battle for the puck because I didn't get good contact.  When it came down to it, the increase in shooting performance just wasn't worth the tradeoff in consistency (though coming down the boards after keeping a puck in and lasering a snapper shortside corner was pretty sweet).  

I'd say that if you're someone that takes mostly slappers from the point, P28 isn't the blade for you.  You can do it, but if you get the puck on the wrong spot on the blade, it's going to flutter.

P28's got its doldrum zone where a lot of people naturally release the puck, right at the start of its toe rocker. If you release the puck before or after that spot, you're fine.

P46 is almost the same pattern just slightly less extreme in its curve and its rocker, so it shouldn't have the same doldrum possibility. I haven't had a chance to use it on the ice though, so I'm going off of a diagram instead of experience. CCM should bring that pattern back.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

P28's got its doldrum zone where a lot of people naturally release the puck, right at the start of its toe rocker. If you release the puck before or after that spot, you're fine.

P46 is almost the same pattern just slightly less extreme in its curve and its rocker, so it shouldn't have the same doldrum possibility. I haven't had a chance to use it on the ice though, so I'm going off of a diagram instead of experience. CCM should bring that pattern back.

I actually don't find it flat enough, maybe I just don't know how to use it. I need a flat curve that isn't the PM9 then.

17 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I agree with Cosmic.  The benefit of the P28 is in the curve of the toe.  If you get your hands out in front of your body, you can really slingshot pucks off the toe with a quick snap.  By doing this you get the shot off with a shorter shooting motion, which gets the puck off the blade more quickly.  If that's how you shoot, the P28 will be a good blade for you, particularly when combined with a low kick stick.  It is how I shoot, and I did see an increase in velocity and release quickness when I could get the puck into the right shooting position.  But as a defenseman, I had too many problems with contested plays and situations where I didn't have time to get the puck to the toe and my hands in front.  Those plays were way too inconsistent.  Pucks would flutter.  Pucks would float on me.  I'd fan on pucks, or shoot/pass ducks. I'd lose the battle for the puck because I didn't get good contact.  When it came down to it, the increase in shooting performance just wasn't worth the tradeoff in consistency (though coming down the boards after keeping a puck in and lasering a snapper shortside corner was pretty sweet).  

I'd say that if you're someone that takes mostly slappers from the point, P28 isn't the blade for you.  You can do it, but if you get the puck on the wrong spot on the blade, it's going to flutter.

What do you use? When the game is higher skill and faster and I need something that will consistently scoop those contested pucks into my possession, I find that the P88 is the proper tool. If it's a slow game with a lot of lazy players, then I actually prefer the P28 because I have all the time I need to gather pucks, and then release lasers that are more lethal (if I have lots of time) than anything I can get with the P88. 

4 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I actually don't find it flat enough, maybe I just don't know how to use it. I need a flat curve that isn't the PM9 then.

What don't you like about the PM9? Have you tried a slight mid-curve like the Iginla or Datsyuk?

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

What do you use? When the game is higher skill and faster and I need something that will consistently scoop those contested pucks into my possession, I find that the P88 is the proper tool. If it's a slow game with a lot of lazy players, then I actually prefer the P28 because I have all the time I need to gather pucks, and then release lasers that are more lethal (if I have lots of time) than anything I can get with the P88. 

Yep, I also use P88.  It's the most consistent, with the most blade on the ice.

That's not a bad idea.  I still have the P28, and I'm going to be subbing for a team in a much weaker league.  Maybe I'll give that a shot.

1 hour ago, flip12 said:

What don't you like about the PM9? Have you tried a slight mid-curve like the Iginla or Datsyuk?

I know you are not asking me, but I have tried both too (I have tried everything in HM; and have tried these ones over at HM AND on ice).

DISCLAIMER- I rarely shoot snapshots, unless I am approaching a puck that is at rest, and I see net- then my snapshot works. It never works from an approach where I have possession. I would say 95% of my shots are wristers, so this is really my bias when I rate curves. I shoot clappers in warm ups, rarely in games.

PM9- I lose shot velocity because I get no action at the toe for any type of whipping/slinging of the puck. Also, for traditional wristers, the puck starts at the heel because that's where the pocket is. So, slow release, and slow velocity. The lie is also low. Impossible to snipe top corners. I just try to shoot low and hard and hope for rebounds (not really ideal). 

Easton Iginla (which I think is similar to old Kovalchuk Warrior retail)- pocket is a bit closer to the toe. More curve than the PM9, and it is toward the mid. Higher lie, but too high for my preference. So, faster velocity, but still too slow of a release as the puck sits too close to the heel at launch. Short blade in length and height, which does not work for me. I need a medium height blade as pucks are always bouncing on the bad ice where I play. No rocker on these curves, so stickhandling, I feel handcuffed. I generally do NOT like a lot of rocker as explained previously- the P88 is good for serious games- slight rocker- not so much that it makes for a dual lie, but enough that I can maneuver my hands a bit.

5 hours ago, flip12 said:

I just can't find a comfortable way to shoot from the toe, which I sometimes do. Shooting heel to toe is fine. The rocker is good and I like the lower lie. I've tried the P45, but these types of curves are harder to find (P12 is gone except custom, P38 is rare.)

EDIT: getting lift on shots also sucks.

On 4/26/2017 at 0:25 AM, Jamarquan said:

I just can't find a comfortable way to shoot from the toe, which I sometimes do. Shooting heel to toe is fine. The rocker is good and I like the lower lie. I've tried the P45, but these types of curves are harder to find (P12 is gone except custom, P38 is rare.)

EDIT: getting lift on shots also sucks.

3 hours ago, start_today said:

If you can't get the puck off the ice with a pm9, you need practice shooting, not buy new blades. 

I think I get what he is saying, as Jamarquan sounds like his experience with blades/ shooting/ and general play, is mightily similar to mine. Speaking from my own experience, on wristshots (which I mostly use) I can snipe top corner with P28 pretty easily. With P88, I can shoot middle of the net, above the pads, pretty easily. With PM9, sure, I can lift the puck, but it is like my aiming "scope" only allows me to aim at a level, I cannot really aim left or right too well once I get the puck into whatever level I wanna shoot at (middle of the net, top of the net, etc.). The PM9 just does not allow me to wrap up the puck (as P28/88 does) so that I can aim it properly.

I can see that if I shot snap shots, and shot them well, that I could aim ok maybe with a PM9 type of blade. Just does not fit the muscle memory of the 100,000 shots that I have taken in 30 years (mostly wrist shots, as that was what we took in street hockey mostly when I played as a kid since no one wore gear and you did not wanna clip a guy in the head when raising the stick for a windup or follow through). I am pretty sure that when I was a kid, I was using a P88 equivalent that was just a little bit more closed, which is why in my quest for a perfect blade, I have tended to try to find this (and mostly just use P88). I got turned on to the P28 when shooting in HM, on dry land, and was amazed at how easy it was to pick corners. The first time I tried it, I said, "Meh, this is easy on dry land sure, but on ice I am sure it will not work for me." So, I borrowed a P28 at the rink, and same success, when skating and shooting in non-game scenarios. So I bought one, and tried in live games. Once serious game action started though, my initial thought (this will not work for me due to rocker and open toe) was pretty much correct, so it is back to the P88.

I just tried the CCM version of the P28.  Not a fan. Obviously it's a personal taste, but it just wasn't lively enough for me. I like an open face, and the P28 is fairly closed. It's almost like using a straight blade with a hook on the final third of the toe. I shoot off all parts of the blade, depending on situation. In tight on the goalie, I think the P28 is weak.

6 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

I just tried the CCM version of the P28.  Not a fan. Obviously it's a personal taste, but it just wasn't lively enough for me. I like an open face, and the P28 is fairly closed. It's almost like using a straight blade with a hook on the final third of the toe. I shoot off all parts of the blade, depending on situation. In tight on the goalie, I think the P28 is weak.

I love that part about it, but it's definitely not for everyone. That heel part's quite wedge-like before the toe curve kicks in.

(For me) With it's lie I feel like the P28 suits a short-medium length stick. I cant get it to work for me with a long stick (I'm 6'1 and consider a long stick as 67.5 inch's measured standing up flat against wall on the toe). If it had a lower lie I think it would work for me. Personal preference obviously. 

5 hours ago, SCATMAN said:

(For me) With it's lie I feel like the P28 suits a short-medium length stick. I cant get it to work for me with a long stick (I'm 6'1 and consider a long stick as 67.5 inch's measured standing up flat against wall on the toe). If it had a lower lie I think it would work for me. Personal preference obviously. 

I'd lower the lie and rocker the heel as well as the toe. Then it would be perfect. It'd also be closer to a P46, so I'd go two steps lower on lie, or a whole number lower, rather than just a half.