Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Marsblade Ice Holder

4 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

Hopefully, they're just wrong about that. Any chance he'd redo the test after letting you do his normal profile on them?

He's currently working with the folks from Marsblade to try to dial all of that in.  Aside from making sure that he has a sharpen that he's happy with, I kinda need to stay out of it.

Also, I don't profile skates....😉

Hmm, all this just to get a ex NHL player to feel comfortable in them, someone who has skated for most of his life. How are they going to dial in the rest of skating population???

• Like 1

People should stop wasting time with all of the gimmick stuff and just use Flare steel. Biggest change I have ever made in my life when it comes to tinkering with equipment. Just waiting for the new CCM holders to go GA and for Flare to be released for them and I'll be set for the future. Need to get these Tuuks off my Trues ASAP. 

On 10/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, Nicholas G said:

People should stop wasting time with all of the gimmick stuff and just use Flare steel. Biggest change I have ever made in my life when it comes to tinkering with equipment. Just waiting for the new CCM holders to go GA and for Flare to be released for them and I'll be set for the future. Need to get these Tuuks off my Trues ASAP. 

How come u didn't put the SB 4.0 on instead of the tuuk edge

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

How come u didn't put the SB 4.0 on instead of the tuuk edge

Hate those stupid bolts. Too many times have I lost them when changing out steel on the bench. 

I wish Flare would make steel for the VH/True holder. I really love that holder. It's incredibly stiff and rigid. 

Edited by Nicholas G

1 hour ago, Nicholas G said:

Hate those stupid bolts. Too many times have I lost them when changing out steel on the bench. 

I wish Flare would make steel for the VH/True holder. I really love that holder. It's incredibly stiff and rigid. 

The true holder is stiff. One of my regrets was swapping it out for the edge. I now have the ls2 holders now which I love, but in the future, when I get another pair of trues I'll stay with the stock holder. 

Did you swap out the true holder for the quick release?  The single bolt in the back isn't that much more inconvenient, esp for rec hockey. I don't carry spare steel with me so the quick release idea is pointless to me anyways, esp when steel doesn't always fit properly on the edge holders. 

Nvm re read that you swapped to be able to use the he flare steel. 

Edited by Sniper9

On 10/31/2018 at 3:37 PM, Santos L Halper said:

I will ask my friend what 'adjustments' Marsblade makes and see if he was able to gain any insight.  

Any update on this, Santos?

We started to get people bringing them into the shop for installation this week. These things are difficult to mount and the holder weighs a ton and has zero flex in it. I weighed a size 272 holder and it comes in at 394 grams. The factory VH holder with STEP steel is about 100-120 grams lighter. A TUUK LS Edges with Byonic  steel is about 150 grams lighter. Based on how rigid the holder is I fear it will break eventually or yank the rivets out of the boot. I guess we will see in time. I mounted three pairs over this last week. 

Have no interest in these holders, but from a shop perspective do the holes line up with LS Edge or SB 4.0? Weight significance and no choice of steel are 2 major turn offs.

4 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Have no interest in these holders, but from a shop perspective do the holes line up with LS Edge or SB 4.0? Weight significance and no choice of steel are 2 major turn offs.

They mostly line up.... But they are a nightmare to mount since they are carbon and have zero flex. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Spoke to Per - he's going to send me a set next week.

Can you ask him the specific profile they are applying to the steel? It doesn't seem to be a standard single radius 10' since when I check it with the ProSharp profile checker I get different results at different areas of the blade. It actually seems like it might be a dual radius profile. 

1 hour ago, KevinL said:

In the booklet that comes with the holders, it states that it comes with an 11' profile.  

Pitch is neutral.

Interesting. That explains why so many people are asking me to profile them. 

Mine are currently being mounted. Any idea what profile to go with compared to current profile on standard steels? I normally shave heels and toes and have a dual 8'/13' radius with an aggressive forward pitch and 95/1 FBV.

17 hours ago, YesLanges said:

Mine are currently being mounted. Any idea what profile to go with compared to current profile on standard steels? I normally shave heels and toes and have a dual 8'/13' radius with an aggressive forward pitch and 95/1 FBV.

I believe Per (the creator) recommends you use whatever profile you're used to. 

2 hours ago, KevinL said:

I believe Per (the creator) recommends you use whatever profile you're used to. 

We tried that and its not the case. The Marsblade holders dont have the same aggressive height and pitch when compared to VH/TRUE holder, for example. They are very neutral. I also think that since the front is "locked" while the rear of the holder flexes the current profile players are using will likely feel strange. We are seeing players use an aggressive toe with a very long heel. 8-10 in the front and 13-26 in the rear. It all depends on the specific person though and their skating profile. I'll report back as more players provide me with feedback. I am concerned there are no replacement blades available yet as profiling, especially if you go from one extreme to the next, takes off a decent amount of steel every time.