Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
flip12

Marsblade Ice Holder

On 3/27/2019 at 12:48 PM, Galloway91 said:

Niklas Kronwall wears them, and some of the other athletes are sponsored so have to be seen wearing other manufacturers gear. Also not entirely sure if these are allowed in the NHL regarding health and safety.

They are certainly approved for usage in the NHL and Niklas has been wearing them non stop since training camp. //Per

I installed the modifiers that I received from Per (thank you). He supplied two sets, one of which restricts the steel's movement more than the other, so I started off with the one that restricts it more, figuring that if that eliminated the issue, I could then experiment with the smaller restriction afterwards. It made enough of a difference that I was able to just do drills and shoot around this time without concentrating on my skating the entire time I was on them. While a big improvement over the unrestricted motion, I'm still too flat-footed for comfort on crossovers and transitions and it just feels like I'm at 75% of my normal skating capacity without any noticeable benefit of the technology at all. No improvement after an hour of skating. If the motion were to be limited any further, I think they would just feel exactly like my regular steels but with the unnecessary added weight of the MB holders. I guess the next step for me before concluding that it's a bust would be changing my profile from 8'/13' to 8'/11' or something like that. 

JR, do you have a recommendation for what profile I should try through the PS Project and/or do you agree that if MBs are going to work for me, it will only be by finding a different profile than what I'm used to on my regular steels?

1 hour ago, YesLanges said:

I installed the modifiers that I received from Per (thank you). He supplied two sets, one of which restricts the steel's movement more than the other, so I started off with the one that restricts it more, figuring that if that eliminated the issue, I could then experiment with the smaller restriction afterwards. It made enough of a difference that I was able to just do drills and shoot around this time without concentrating on my skating the entire time I was on them. While a big improvement over the unrestricted motion, I'm still too flat-footed for comfort on crossovers and transitions and it just feels like I'm at 75% of my normal skating capacity without any noticeable benefit of the technology at all. No improvement after an hour of skating. If the motion were to be limited any further, I think they would just feel exactly like my regular steels but with the unnecessary added weight of the MB holders. I guess the next step for me before concluding that it's a bust would be changing my profile from 8'/13' to 8'/11' or something like that. 

JR, do you have a recommendation for what profile I should try through the PS Project and/or do you agree that if MBs are going to work for me, it will only be by finding a different profile than what I'm used to on my regular steels?

I know you aked JR, but the few people who have been quite happy with them have skated on the Zuperior profile. 

10 hours ago, Marsblade said:

@YesLanges Are you currently on the same profile/pitch that you normally use? It's possible you would want to make adjustments on profiling. Also possible that the transition time is longer for you. //Per

As I explained on p.5 of this thread, I was going to try your fix before messing with my regular profile. What would you suggest for someone who is very comfortable on 8'/13' and an (already) aggressive forward pitch? Some specific recommendation would be greatly appreciated so that I don't have to pick a new profile through guesswork, because I have no other reason to consider changing the profile that works great for me until I put them on MB.

Negative on the likelihood that it's a transition-time issue that will resolve without a different profile. The first hour on un-adjusted MB didn't change at all after the first few minutes and it was the exact same experience for me after more than a full hour on them after installing the adjustment piece that you provided. It was definitely an improvement over the un-adjusted MB, but nothing changed for me during that session, either. So far, I'm noticing zero benefit and it feels like I have too much blade on the ice (and/or my weight is too far back) during crossovers and transitions. If MB are going to work for me, it's definitely going to be on a different profile. Any suggestions?

21 hours ago, YesLanges said:

If MB are going to work for me, it's definitely going to be on a different profile. Any suggestions?

I have been liking the Quad-0. Previously on my old setup I had a quad from another sharpener with "very long radiuses." which I like a lot. I skated yesterday with that profile on the Marsblades and was disappointed. They felt the same as the old setup (on CXN's) and seemed to cancel the benefit of the Marsblade. I switched back to the Quad-0 later and feeling was back. All this is at neutral pitch which I have had to adapt to.

From just this little bit of experience I think the profile and pitch may be more critical to the Marsblade than anyone thinks. Some of us may have been skating on setups that don't translate to the Marsblade. It takes a lot of time, energy and $$ to sort through this and I have been fortunate to able to do this. My wish is that Marsblade would test the extremes in an controlled test with very good skaters to establish the parameters that work well. I realize that we are all part of this development but there really isn't a way to use all of the random feedback.

I would also like to hear more from sharpeners such as @Nicholas G about their experiences on this. That was the first I heard (above) about people liking the Zuperior. @Nicholas G have any of your skaters that initially didn't like the Marsblade made changes that worked for them?

2 hours ago, Deke said:

I have been liking the Quad-0. Previously on my old setup I had a quad from another sharpener with "very long radiuses." which I like a lot. I skated yesterday with that profile on the Marsblades and was disappointed. They felt the same as the old setup (on CXN's) and seemed to cancel the benefit of the Marsblade. I switched back to the Quad-0 later and feeling was back. All this is at neutral pitch which I have had to adapt to.

From just this little bit of experience I think the profile and pitch may be more critical to the Marsblade than anyone thinks. Some of us may have been skating on setups that don't translate to the Marsblade. It takes a lot of time, energy and $$ to sort through this and I have been fortunate to able to do this. My wish is that Marsblade would test the extremes in an controlled test with very good skaters to establish the parameters that work well. I realize that we are all part of this development but there really isn't a way to use all of the random feedback.

I would also like to hear more from sharpeners such as @Nicholas G about their experiences on this. That was the first I heard (above) about people liking the Zuperior. @Nicholas G have any of your skaters that initially didn't like the Marsblade made changes that worked for them?

They definitely feel better with the fix installed, but still too flat...maybe a little worse than my regular blades used to feel before I started having them pitched forward...so the MB seem to just be undoing the forward pitch that I'm comfortable with...and it's reintroducing the same feel that led me to pitch my regular blades forward in the first place. I'm thinking the reason MB seem to promote my cross-under is simply that I'm more on the 13' part of my blade (8'/13') with them...I understand that extended cross-under is generally a good thing, but it's not worth the balance trade-off of also feeling too flat-footed at the same time even if they extend the length and time and distance of my cross-under...and because they extend the cross-under time, I can't move my feet quickly enough in sequence...I'm crossing under very deliberately like I'm always in a power-skating class and doing the drill where you're supposed to exaggerate the cross-under/cross-over without picking your skates up off the ice. 

I'm thinking that I might just need even more forward pitch on MB to duplicate the same body posture on steels that move. It may be related to my being one of those people who naturally always walk like we're facing into a headwind or walking uphill. (I'm only aware of this from what people have always told me and from seeing myself on film...to me, it feels like I'm walking normally and not leaning forward at all...and I know it's genetic from my dad's side because that's how his brother walked.) That might explain why regular neutral profiles (and MB) feel like I'm too far back on them. It's also possible that MB just won't work for me because the same pitch that I'd need anytime the blades move back would be ridiculous anytime they're not moving. I'm currently awaiting a suggestion from the PSP before deciding what to do to them to try them again, but they're not going to work for me on my regular profile.

Ok I tried these holders for about 10 or so skates so enough to give a reasonable opinion. Personally I like how quickly you can turn with them. But I don't like the cross under. It feels like it goes way to far and by the time I'm ready to push off with that cross under leg it feels like I have no leverage or bite. On my turns this is where I get all my explosion in the turns. It feels like I can turn sharp but no explosion with the MB. As for straight ahead speed I like my regular skates (Makos). I can get more speed with my Makos and I still can turn very well with them. I currently have the MB on my True skates. It seems like the back end of the MBs is where it shines. But anything related to toes and explosion I much rather prefer my regular skates. In fact I think I am going to remove the MB on my True and go back to the TUUK and step steel blades. I have tried the stock profile on the MB and also used a 10-13 radius. Too bad cause I was really looking forward to these working will for me.

Edited by Monsoon

So I just got my Marsblade ice holders installed on my TRUE boot.  Tonight was my first skate/game.  I had the blades profiled to be the same as my step steel from my other skates.  I know I haven't given it enough ice time yet, but my initial reaction was that they are much heavier.  Also, it's like I'm trying to figure out what techniques work the test with this technology.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get the most out of this blade? Thanks!

@Konig von Kuhlem Although they are slightly heavier most guys experience that they get greater benefits of the technology once they are used to maximizing the technology. Just like Niklas Kronwall mentions in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7VTs3guzNA. It will probably take a couple of skates to get dialed in changing some movements and getting used to the technology. There will be some adjusting in how / when you put pressure etc. Try to exaggerate the length of each stride and have long strong pushes. And try to really trust the edges more than you’re used to, especially turning and crossing over. It's possible that you'd like to adjust the rocker settings to start with a smaller rocker to get used to the technology as well. We have made some new components that I'd be happy to send to you if you would like to test that. Let me know if you have any questions. //Per Mars

12 hours ago, Marsblade said:

@Konig von Kuhlem Although they are slightly heavier most guys experience that they get greater benefits of the technology once they are used to maximizing the technology. Just like Niklas Kronwall mentions in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7VTs3guzNA. It will probably take a couple of skates to get dialed in changing some movements and getting used to the technology. There will be some adjusting in how / when you put pressure etc. Try to exaggerate the length of each stride and have long strong pushes. And try to really trust the edges more than you’re used to, especially turning and crossing over. It's possible that you'd like to adjust the rocker settings to start with a smaller rocker to get used to the technology as well. We have made some new components that I'd be happy to send to you if you would like to test that. Let me know if you have any questions. //Per Mars

Thanks for your help! I'm excited to explore this rocking motion in more detail and discover what works for my skating style. 

Just got my son's skates back with Marsblade holders freshly installed. He will try them out this weekend...

BTW his regular skates were Sz 7 CCM FT1, with Massive Blade and Speed Plate 2, weighted in at 826g each. With the new Marsblade holders, and Speed Plates 2, his skates now weights in at 936g each.

5 hours ago, Marsblade said:

@Coldclay Did you receive the new components I sent? Did you figure out how to install them? //Per

I did receive the components and thanks for the fast shipping. Will try the holders at its original state for a few hours at the very least and hoping there will be no need to install the new components.

finally skated on the Marsblade ice holders yesterday an i am very happy. a little background on myself, i have played hockey for almost 40 years thru Minor Pro and always  used Tuuk + holders even on the newer skates, profiled to a forward stance. I have been using the roller frames, along with my kids, for about 2 years and i have been looking forward to putting some time on the ice holders since the kickstarter. i have them mounted on a pair of supreme 190s, swapped out the edge holder and sharpened at a 5/8. i did not have these profiled yet i wanted to know how they felt stock in the supremes, i prefer the cut of vapors with a forward profiling. first impression is that turns are very smooth and i don't feel like i dig into the ice as much. i could probably go to a 3/4 ROH and i usually go a long time between sharpening. i only slightly noticed the lack of profiling since there is so much movement in the balance point but i did get fatigue to my upper ankle i think due to the constant balance shift. i might look into adjust the movement in the holder as Per has suggested. i didn't notice the change in weight coming from the holders that were mounted (edge), they felt the same while skating and at 43 I'm not flying around the rink like i use. i liked the way these feel, maybe its my skating style but i think after i get these dialed in with the proper profile these will be my everyday skates. i have several pairs of skates all with my profile i will continue to compare these to.

• Like 1

Below is my son's review on his Marsblade holder.

Player: soon-to-be 15 yo, 1st yr U16 Midget AA

Skates: CCM FT1 + stock Marsblade holder (sz 7, 263 MB Holder, Prosharp Quad 1 on 100/50 FBV)

Time spent on MB: 
Sticktime/drills: 4 hrs
Pickup: 1 hr
5v5 scrimmage: 2 hrs
Spring League HS Varsity games: 3

According to him, the Marsblade Holder helps with tighter turns while maintaining speed, with more confidence in trusting edges than before especially in small area doing delays/gretzky turns. Exiting turns going into lateral crossovers feels easier and more powerful than before. A bit more top end speed and power when pushing off. No difference on stopping/stop and go vs previous holder. 

Backward/pivots/mohawks/Crosby's/Tarasenko's are a breeze and effortless. The extra 100g on each skates are not noticable at all. The only con he mentioned was that it took him at least a few hrs to get used to them.

From a dad/drill sargent's view, since I skate with him at sticktime, the MB's do help him seem more sturdy/balanced and his turns look more powerful with smoother and quicker exits. He 'looks' faster during breakaways and backchecks. Just overall more stable and stronger on MB... 

Could be that he's growing and getting stronger, but I firmly believe Marsblade has a good thing going on. I simply can't see how these holders won't help you fine-tune and enhance your skating, especially for higher end skaters, MB can really give you that extra edge.

Cosmetically, the holders are holding up decently. A few chips here and there, exposing the black core underneath some sort of thick white coating... Really hoping the MB will be durable and last at least a season. The Tydan blades are nice but I feel his previous Massive Blades held edges longer, while blade height appears to be same as Massive Blades.

My kid really does like the MB and if he feels they help his game and he feels good on the ice, then I must say it was money well spent. 

Edited by Coldclay
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

These are my MarsBlade Holders after only 80 hours of ice time. I am quite disappointed in how they are holding up. 

MarsBlade Holders after 80 hours of ice time https://imgur.com/gallery/cc7kDq5

Seeing that's all the chipped areas are where the rivets were, are you sure the damage wasn't from when you remover them from your skates?

I mean, those areas would be hard to even notice with the rivets in and mounted on your skates.... The rest of the holders seem to be in good condition. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Seeing that's all the chipped areas are where the rivets were, are you sure the damage wasn't from when you remover them from your skates?

I mean, those areas would be hard to even notice with the rivets in and mounted on your skates.... The rest of the holders seem to be in good condition. 

I am meticulous when mounting holders so I can assure you no damage was done when I attached or removed the holders.

To me it seems like the holders are too rigid and don't allow any flexibility which puts the holder undr too much tension. This rmght be be by design though since there is the cantilever inside that moves. 

The reason I removed them is I noticed one of the holders mounting holes was starting to become deformed and I was also noticing the rivet holes in my TRUE skate were stretching a bit. 

Edited by Nicholas G

Looks like it’s been a few months since anyone has commented on the MB holders.  I ordered a  set of these for my 13 year old son. He will get them for Christmas. 
he currently skates with some forward lean in his profile. When I add the MB holders should I start with the stock radius(which is?) and add lean as he adjusts.  
keeping in mind he only has one pair of skates and probably will only get 1 hour of stick and puck and 1.5 hours of practice prior to his next game.   

14 minutes ago, Nateinnet said:

Looks like it’s been a few months since anyone has commented on the MB holders.  I ordered a  set of these for my 13 year old son. He will get them for Christmas. 
he currently skates with some forward lean in his profile. When I add the MB holders should I start with the stock radius(which is?) and add lean as he adjusts.  
keeping in mind he only has one pair of skates and probably will only get 1 hour of stick and puck and 1.5 hours of practice prior to his next game.   

The stock radius is a neutral 10' profile.

Not a single player we have mounted the MB holder for has stuck with the stock profile and most players seem to prefer the longer profiles like the Pro Sharp Zuperior and Quad 2. 

Why would you change his holder midseason if he only has a single pair of skates? I would not recommend doing such. 

• Like 1