Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drewng98

End of Shaft Production??

Hi all, 

I'm new to this forum but I would like to pose out a question to all you users out there. What the hell happened to all the shafts? I've been using the Easton ST shaft for the past few years and is in need for a replacement, it seems like only Bauer as a relatively big brand makes the shafts, Easton/CCM has just given up in that area. Playing roller hockey, shaft and blade combo is the only way to go without looking for a replacement of a composite one piece every 3 games.

Any ideas if Easton will be pushing out more shafts in the future?

Thanks!

If you are committed to using shafts going forward I would start stockpiling models you like.  They will not get any easier to find as time goes on. Same goes for blades. 

Shafts are going the way of the Dodo... but I still like them. for Recreational hockey players they honestly make the most sense. I can't justify spending $150+ on a one piece... That being said, my main twig has been a one piece ST, which is a tank. I recently found a Mako M5 shaft and blade setup for pretty cheap. Before that I was rocking the TPS Tri-core. 

Speaking of shafts... How about this boys and girls... I just went on Craigslist and bought an old school TPS Rubber with an Easton Ultra Graphite Shanahan curve for $10. Shaft looks like its in decent condition. Blade looks brand new. Should be able to turn some head with that one. 

I agree with that 100%. Especially in my current situation where the Drury and P106 are impossible to find after 15 years of using a heel curve.

I'm tired of going on scavenger hunts every time I need a new stick, however experimenting across the P88, P28, and P92 is an expensive exercise.

My son has been playing 2 pcs for 6 or 7 years now...I do too, when I get out on the ice.

My analysis is that they are going away...even if the makers make them...they are getting more limited by the retailers not wanting to stock items that too many newbies don't seem to buy.

Look at True as they appear to want to push the envelope still.  Warrior (IMO) is fading (2 pc set-ups), from what I've seen they have blades, but I have yet to see anything about new shafts...

So because of the launch black-outs...i went with True this year for a new set-up (they are the only ones with a catalog on site for 2017).  Otherwise look-up Base Hockey as they still run with 2 pc set-ups.

Even if you can find a shaft, the blades are getting limited, if your looking for ABS blades...

Good Luck

5 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

I agree with that 100%. Especially in my current situation where the Drury and P106 are impossible to find after 15 years of using a heel curve.

I'm tired of going on scavenger hunts every time I need a new stick, however experimenting across the P88, P28, and P92 is an expensive exercise.

Forget those other curves and stick with the Drury!  The clones are easier to find in pro stock, compared to retail.

I recently put in a Lecavalier CCM 652 wood blade in my Mako m5 shaft. Honestly, I miss the feeling of a wood blade. Not enough options. 

Not sure what the "Real" numbers on blade sales is...BUT I can tell you what I think.  Since "BIG OEMs" are limiting the number of unique curves to only top end sticks....Why would someone want the basic 3 curves for a 2 pc set-up that can be found on the entry level sticks?

They should be offering everything, BUT the basic 3 curves.  Heck you can say the P106 doesnt sell, but the PM9 does?  They are both similar, yet they are different.  BUT since a player can find the PM9 in basically every stick line...why would they shop for the 2 pc in it, But, if they wanted the P106 and the option is either top of the line 1 pc or the 2 pc...THEN you are creating a market for players to play with the 2 pc, who cannot spend 1 pc money on breaking too many sticks in a year.  I freak out when I think my boys team top player went through 6 QRL1 this season and the season ended with him players a Bauer, because the Chicagoland Total Hockeys did not have the flex and curve he was looking for (INT 70 - P71 - Righty) heck I dont think they had any level of QRL sticks in P71 INT70 sticks in Chicago.

If the kid had a 2 pc, he could have swapped out the blade, But NOPE...not blades by warrior in P71 (not that he would have found them at Total Hockey either).

4 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

They should be offering everything, BUT the basic 3 curves.  Heck you can say the P106 doesnt sell, but the PM9 does?  

I know of three people who have ever bought a PM9. I am one of these three people. My opinion of this curve is well documented: I hate it.

"I freak out when I think my boys team top player went through 6 QRL1 this season and the season ended with him players a Bauer, because the Chicagoland Total Hockeys did not have the flex and curve he was looking for (INT 70 - P71 - Righty) heck I dont think they had any level of QRL sticks in P71 INT70 sticks in Chicago."

The P71 doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't for years - a quick MSH search would indicate that it's close to the W05. Maybe. 

Also holy disposable income Batman! 6 QRLs! I spent less than the cost of one on the five sticks I own!

My Error...Not P71, But W71 Pacioretty curve.  all of the broken sticks are not on the blades but broken  in the shafts.  Since most players are wanting more flex, they may be playing with a whipper/ more flexible stick than they should.  I think the boy needs to move up to Sr 75. 

Somehow the kid has explained to the dad that he needs that level of stick (But I see many high school kids who play top of the line sticks) and cringe when they break.  A few years back the Midget team was playing in an outdoor tournament and there where alot of sticks breaking (too cold ????) This particular player is the top player on the team...so he takes alot of heat from the opposing players.

sherwood

Heck...I just saw a chart.  The "all Black" Stick guys sell 6 curves, and another "Top Hand" has 5 curves on the chart....But neither have a bauer P106 or sherwood pp77 or ccmP46 equivalent.

But 10 companies make/or made the a PM9 style curve....which to me is crazy

Ok...of those 10, All Black Stick, Top Hand, Twigz...so 7 OEM name brand lines and all 7 of them have a pm9 equivalent

If you are committed to the 2 piece setup, I would recommend Base.  They have a lot of curves available, pretty sure they have a PM9 clone.  The downside is that it takes 3-4 weeks to get your blade/shafts, as they are made to order.  

I have been using their blades for a little over two years now, and I really like them.  

I ordered one of their Supernatural shafts (mid-kick) and it came in the other day, hope to get it on the ice on Friday.  

17 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I know of three people who have ever bought a PM9. I am one of these three people. My opinion of this curve is well documented: I hate it.

"I freak out when I think my boys team top player went through 6 QRL1 this season and the season ended with him players a Bauer, because the Chicagoland Total Hockeys did not have the flex and curve he was looking for (INT 70 - P71 - Righty) heck I dont think they had any level of QRL sticks in P71 INT70 sticks in Chicago."

The P71 doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't for years - a quick MSH search would indicate that it's close to the W05. Maybe. 

Also holy disposable income Batman! 6 QRLs! I spent less than the cost of one on the five sticks I own!

10-15 years ago the PM9 type blade was one of the most popular patterns out there, but then kids decided to stop learning how to shoot and we're stuck where we are today with blade options.

47 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

10-15 years ago the PM9 type blade was one of the most popular patterns out there, but then kids decided to stop learning how to shoot and we're stuck where we are today with blade options.

That's what I noticed when trying the PM9, shot mechanics had to be spot-on.  It wasn't going to do the work for you.