Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nutters

Clicking/Popping with Jetspeeds

I've had my Jetspeeds for a little over to months now and they've been great except for one potential issue, every time I put on my left skate and stand up I hear a click or a pop. I'll then take it off and put it back on with no noise. Could this just be a loose blade, or the insole adjusting in place? No cracks and defects are visible, so maybe it's nothing at all?

I have had my Super Tacks for 7 months now and my left skate is doing that each same thing as your jetspeeds. I have tightened the nuts on the blades, checked none of the rivets are loose and taken the insoles out and re set them in place. This has done nothing the click/pop still remains! I'm sure this is nothing to worry about and the skate is completely fine its just really annoying.

Ya I've done both things too now and the noise is still happening. It's a little better knowing that this my just be a ccm thing rather than a larger problem. If it were to be a defect that requires replacing, I can imagine the problems of replacing common sized skates that were on clearance.

How are you liking the skates? I might buy a pair, but I'm having my doubts. I've been using Bauer Vapor's for years. Are they similar?

7 hours ago, Shogun said:

How are you liking the skates? I might buy a pair, but I'm having my doubts. I've been using Bauer Vapor's for years. Are they similar?

Love them, light and comfortable. Didn't bake them and it took two games for them to break in. Both are considered their respective brands' narrow fit skate, but trying on X800s right before the Jetspeeds and I found the Vapors much more narrow and the boot was a lot stiffer (not saying the Jetspeeds are not, but the Vapors were something else). Also, the tendon guards on the Vapor seem bigger and stiffer. I also, for now, had to stop playing with the tongues out, while the Vapors seem more flop friendly.

Pro Hockey Life is selling the LE version for $399.99. I tried on a pair the other day, they fit good, but I had to jump down a full size. I wear 7 in Vapor's and a 6 fit me in Jetspeed's. 

Does anyone use Speed Plate's in their Jetspeed's? Wondering if they fit/work okay in a CCM boot. 

5 hours ago, nutters said:

Love them, light and comfortable. Didn't bake them and it took two games for them to break in. Both are considered their respective brands' narrow fit skate, but trying on X800s right before the Jetspeeds and I found the Vapors much more narrow and the boot was a lot stiffer (not saying the Jetspeeds are not, but the Vapors were something else). Also, the tendon guards on the Vapor seem bigger and stiffer. I also, for now, had to stop playing with the tongues out, while the Vapors seem more flop friendly.

You should really bake them. It's no longer just about reducing break in time, it's also about customizing the boot to your foot. 

My first thought was the blade within the holder. My second thought is a problem I have with my MX3 that sound similar on the surface. How long are your shin guard? My shin guards tend to make some contact with the top of the skate boot and cause odd noises at times. It doesn't affect performance, but the noises can be interesting when I first put all my gear on. Are your shin guards tucked behind your tongue or over?

On 4/30/2017 at 3:37 PM, stick9 said:

You should really bake them. It's no longer just about reducing break in time, it's also about customizing the boot to your foot. 

I probably should have, but I've never had a good experience with baking (I know things have change, but still), and they seem to be fine for me.

9 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

My first thought was the blade within the holder. My second thought is a problem I have with my MX3 that sound similar on the surface. How long are your shin guard? My shin guards tend to make some contact with the top of the skate boot and cause odd noises at times. It doesn't affect performance, but the noises can be interesting when I first put all my gear on. Are your shin guards tucked behind your tongue or over?

16", but I put them on after my skates and the clicking is usually made when I get up to put on my shins.

I noticed this on my Jetspeed 300's after my 2nd skate. It was noticeable while walking from locker room to the ice. I got some new Step's and I haven't noticed them but I haven't really been listening for it either. I don't skate again until the weekend, so I'll try to listen for it and see if the new runners helped.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:58 PM, Shogun said:

Pro Hockey Life is selling the LE version for $399.99. I tried on a pair the other day, they fit good, but I had to jump down a full size. I wear 7 in Vapor's and a 6 fit me in Jetspeed's. 

Does anyone use Speed Plate's in their Jetspeed's? Wondering if they fit/work okay in a CCM boot. 

I use speedplates with terrific success in my jetspeeds. I have 9,5D jetspeeds and bought the 9.5-10 Speed Plate and barely trimmed. 

Mine also flop pretty well. the tongue is kinda short so it's not going to actually bend over and flop a lot, but I noticed last night after skating on them for 15-20 times and it's almost there. 

3 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

I use speedplates with terrific success in my jetspeeds. I have 9,5D jetspeeds and bought the 9.5-10 Speed Plate and barely trimmed. 

Mine also flop pretty well. the tongue is kinda short so it's not going to actually bend over and flop a lot, but I noticed last night after skating on them for 15-20 times and it's almost there. 

Thanks for your reply. I've been using Speed Plate's since December and I really like them. I bought the new Jetspeed FT1's yesterday and I wanna see how they are with the SP's. I was going to buy the original Jetspeed's for $399.99, but I decided to try on a pair of the FT1's and they're unreal. The fit and heel lock is better than the original, no joke. The FT1's also have a 90 day return on them. If you don't like them, you can bring them back and get a full refund, which is great.

For an update, I flattened my insoles in my left skates and I heard no noise. But I didn't do the same this time for the right skate and heard the clicking noise, so it must be a thing with CCM insoles. Anyone else here with this issue try both insoles before putting your skates on. 

To follow up on my last post, I played a couple of games on my Step and I don't hear the clicking at all. When I rotate back to the CCM runners, I'll listen out for them again. I'm guessing the tolerances on the CCM's are not as close and there is a gap somewhere and that's why the article above fixes it. Assuming that is your actual issue. It could be more than one reason for those noises. It depends on your specific skate.

It's most likely clicking at the mounting bolts for the runner, definitely not a problem. This design issue goes all the way back to the Pro lite 3 holder design. Essentially the machine tolerances require that mounting hole and bolts be microscopically differently diameters. This isn't an issue on Tuuk, Cobra, or Quikblade holders because they use an active force to retain the runner. No functionality issue, I actually used to like the sound walking to the sheet from the dressing room on my Tack 652s (I'm old).

I'm a CCM guy, and clicking for me goes as far back as I can remember, which is my junior year of high school (which would be 1999, I think).  At that time, 1052s were top of the line (my first new paid of skates!).  Those clicked.  Went to a RBK 7k when the 1052s finally gave up, those clicked.  I actually hated those skates, went to Jetspeed 280s, those clicked and wore out fast (in my opinion).  I'm now on Jetspeed pro stock skates, have had them for about 6 months, now, slight clicking.  Never worried about it!