Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangle_Snipe_19

What stick should I get?

I am looking to purchase a new twig and honestly I've got no clue what to try. Currently using a 2017 1n but I'm not a fan. I also own a 1s and I like it but I think it could be better. Thinking maybe I'll try a low kick??? I'm 5'9 120 and  I play a high level of hockey. I'm willing to try anything - price is not an issue. Feel free to recommend me sticks to try and please tell me why you think I would like it! Thank you

Is the 17 1N already out? I'm always behind the curve on these things.

Ultimately, it's difficult to make a useful recommendation without knowing what you do/do not like about your current sticks, what sticks you loved, the kind of game you play, etc. 

5 minutes ago, kesamj said:

Is the 17 1N already out? I'm always behind the curve on these things.

Ultimately, it's difficult to make a useful recommendation without knowing what you do/do not like about your current sticks, what sticks you loved, the kind of game you play, etc. 

Haha ya it's been out since October/November I think. As for you questions : I took about 1 slap shot in like 60 games this year. Huge snapshot guy and I tend to take a lot of backhands as well. I skate well and do a lot of dangling. I like the flex of my 1s (67)  but I like the curve of my 1n (p28). Not a fan of the kick/release on either. My favourite sticks ever would be the original 1x, reckoner and original tacks.  As for my game I play fast, in the role of a playmaker to a couple guy a year older than me (I'm 15) on the first line of a AAA team. I tend to take some strong side faceoffs as I'm a Leftie and my linemates are righties. Durability is a must because I am constantly getting slashed and chopped at. 

IF you like the 1S try the Super tacks. It has a similar flex profile. Also the new Super Tacks 2.0 is coming out this summer if you want to wait for it or for the prices of the Super Tacks to go down. 

I'd also recommend you try the QRL and the True XCore9.. The QRL is my favorite stick right now. 

If I have this right: 

-Stiff intermediate flex (65-70)

-'Open Toe' Curve (P28)

-Sounds like you want a hybrid between low and mid kick points, or a stick with both. 

-Durability is important - CCM probably not the best choice in this regard, RBZ and Tacks have some issues. 

-You can afford top of the line sticks.

-Not much brand loyalty.

Why not go back to the Reckoner / 1X / Tacks, unless they're all broken, until the summer? The new Super Tacks (dual kickpoint) and Alpha QX (low-ish kickpoint) will be out, and others will be on discount. However, if you're committed to buying a new stick, I found some of last year's on discount so you can try them without blowing too much money, all available with your preferred flex / curve and are eligible for the 15% discount code on the website. You could even buy two for the cost of one new high end stick if you wanted.

True A6.0 - http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-sticks-shafts-blades/sticks-all-composite/hockey-sticks-intermediate/true-hockey-stick-6-0-int.html

Easton Stealth CX - http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-sticks-shafts-blades/sticks-all-composite/hockey-sticks-intermediate/easton-hockey-stick-stealth-cx-grip-int.html

Warrior Covert QR1SE - http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-sticks-shafts-blades/sticks-all-composite/hockey-sticks-intermediate/warrior-hockey-stick-qr1-se-grip-int.html

True XCore 9 - http://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-sticks-shafts-blades/sticks-all-composite/hockey-sticks-intermediate/true-hockey-stick-xcore-9-int.html

29 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

+1 for the Tacks line but I'd wait for the 2.0  The Super Tacks has durability issues in the blade.  If you can find an Ultra Tacks on eBay jump on it.  Great stick.

The P28 isn't available on the Ultra Tacks though.

31 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Wow...  they are really killing off the curves aren't they....

CCM hadn't implemented it yet, maybe they hadn't stolen Scott Bjugstad from Easton until after its release.

^^^ Correct. P28 is one of their most popular curves now. As for recommendation, I'd say QRL. You won't regret it, based off what you're telling us.

Here's a little something that may help you out on your decision. I came across this study a little while back, where they measured how 13 top end hockey stick's flex changed as we move from butt end to blade.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/hockeyflexprofiles.php

Some of the results were pretty interesting because sticks that you would think would be similar aren't. For example the QRL vs the 1X. I got the 1X based on reviews saying it's exactly like the QRL. As soon as I stepped on the ice, I realised it wasn't the same at all.  Here are a couple of graphs they made using the data they gathered. The rest of the results can be found at that link above. The graphs show how the flex changes as they move from butt end to blade.  Notice how the QRL starts off very flexy and becomes stiffer and stiffer, and how the Bauer starts stiff, gets a little stiffer, then goes limp. (I am seriously trying to keep a straight face as I write this and not say, "That's what she said." :p)

flex3bsm.jpgflex7bsm.jpg

Any way for myself, I own four sticks of the 13 studied, a 1X, a QRL, 1N, and a XCore9. I also own a Ribcor 47k which I believe is the same model year as the Ribcor Trigger. And I find these results to be quite similar to how I feel about those sticks.  The XCore 9 has a similar graph to the QRL and to me feels closer to that stick than a 1X. And even before i found this study, I was trying out the SuperTacks  and thinking that I was really liking the feel of it, even though it was a high kick stick, kind of completely opposite of my QRL. But when I look at the graphs in the study, they're quite similar.

Any ways, hope this helps.  

17 hours ago, puckpilot said:

IF you like the 1S try the Super tacks. It has a similar flex profile. Also the new Super Tacks 2.0 is coming out this summer if you want to wait for it or for the prices of the Super Tacks to go down. 

I'd also recommend you try the QRL and the True XCore9.. The QRL is my favorite stick right now. 

Stay away from the Super Tacks. Probably one the worst durability for blades CCM has ever made. 

QRL x1000, such an amazing stick, both performance and durability wise. 

I am in the STX Surgeon RX2.1 because I do not like to spend top $$ on a stick, and then have it break. I like the 2.1 alot, but it feels heavy (perhaps the balance point is close to the blade), making it a bit tough to have quick hands. If $$ were not an issue, I would be in the STX Surgeon RX2. Love the shaft geometry (I catch every pass clean now, after being a bit of a butterfinger previously), and the stick kicks nicely. Just not sure of durability for the RX2. the durability for my stick has been great. (I actually have 2 in different flexes and curves and they are both holding up awesome.)

26 grams, approximately the weight of a AA battery; it takes anywhere from 5-10 years to develop excellent puck handling skills, obviously depending on the amount of time you devote to it. Don't really think that 26 grams makes any difference;  practice does, as it develops motor skills in the wrist, forearm and shoulder

20 hours ago, fcalog said:

26 grams, approximately the weight of a AA battery; it takes anywhere from 5-10 years to develop excellent puck handling skills, obviously depending on the amount of time you devote to it. Don't really think that 26 grams makes any difference;  practice does, as it develops motor skills in the wrist, forearm and shoulder

Do you take balance into effect? Every person who has ever picked up either of my Surgeons has always said, first thing, "It's heavy." So, either the gram scale is off, or the balance point is pretty close to the blade. I have a QR Pro as well, that although it should seem to weigh about the same, feels about 2 price points lighter. (even though it is about the same price point).

I edited my initial post, as I admittedly did not consider that the heavy feel may be a balance (imbalance) issue. 

And I actually thought the same as you when looking at specs, weight, price point, etc.: "26 grams less for half the price?!?! Duh! Talk about a no brainer! BUY NOW."

I do think that the imbalance supports pass reception, along with the shaft geometry. Pucks hit my blade and it's like glue- not the case with my QR Pro (blade face opens on hard passes, up unless I squeeze the heck out of the stick).

I have the RX2 and have thought the same thing. It feels heavy. It's a top-end stick so by no means is it "heavy," but it's definitely not as balanced as the other sticks I have.

I'm going to say QRL as well. Really impressed with mine- durability and performance have been outstanding. 

I'm going to second the STX suggestion. 

My high level days are behind me but after 25 years of playing I think I can pick a stick. 

I've been using the surgeon RX for a year it's feather light and very responsive. It's also taken a ton of hacks and slashes (given plenty too) so I'd say it's durable. 

I just picked up a Stallion 500 for comparison and I think I like the release better. 

Either way give them a look .

On 5/1/2017 at 1:43 AM, puckpilot said:

Here's a little something that may help you out on your decision. I came across this study a little while back, where they measured how 13 top end hockey stick's flex changed as we move from butt end to blade.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/hockeyflexprofiles.php

Some of the results were pretty interesting because sticks that you would think would be similar aren't. For example the QRL vs the 1X. I got the 1X based on reviews saying it's exactly like the QRL. As soon as I stepped on the ice, I realised it wasn't the same at all.  Here are a couple of graphs they made using the data they gathered. The rest of the results can be found at that link above. The graphs show how the flex changes as they move from butt end to blade.  Notice how the QRL starts off very flexy and becomes stiffer and stiffer, and how the Bauer starts stiff, gets a little stiffer, then goes limp. (I am seriously trying to keep a straight face as I write this and not say, "That's what she said." :p)

flex3bsm.jpgflex7bsm.jpg

Any way for myself, I own four sticks of the 13 studied, a 1X, a QRL, 1N, and a XCore9. I also own a Ribcor 47k which I believe is the same model year as the Ribcor Trigger. And I find these results to be quite similar to how I feel about those sticks.  The XCore 9 has a similar graph to the QRL and to me feels closer to that stick than a 1X. And even before i found this study, I was trying out the SuperTacks  and thinking that I was really liking the feel of it, even though it was a high kick stick, kind of completely opposite of my QRL. But when I look at the graphs in the study, they're quite similar.

Any ways, hope this helps.  

I look at these charts and wonder where is the best spot to place my lower hand.