Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CB1

Cutting Shin Guards down

Do any of you guys cut down your shin guards?   Time of my son to get new shins, and someone mentioned to try the next bigger size and have them cut down.   The thought was you would get a slightly larger knee cap and better wrap around on the calves for better protection.   Haven't really thought about it, so didn't know if it was worth it looking into or just getting the correct size.

Thanks!

I have never done this.  Is he in between sizes?  I am sure that since the sizing varies between manufacturers you could find ones that fit properly without needing to cut them.  I see no reason to buy something brand new that doesnt fit with the intention of cutting it to fit...

Never heard of such practice, TBH sounds borderline stupid, not sure why you would even consider this. 

Shin pads fit differently, some a re deeper, some shallower, some for big calves, longer shorter and so on....go and have him try everymodel in the shop and buy the ones that fit best. 

I don't make a habit of it but I've cut down shins before. I didn't buy them, they were a gift and they were a bit too long. I cut about a half inch off the plastic at the bottom. I used them like that for years.

I'd advise against it. Just look for a pair that fits they way you want.

8 hours ago, CB1 said:

Do any of you guys cut down your shin guards?   Time of my son to get new shins, and someone mentioned to try the next bigger size and have them cut down.   The thought was you would get a slightly larger knee cap and better wrap around on the calves for better protection.   Haven't really thought about it, so didn't know if it was worth it looking into or just getting the correct size.

Thanks!

I doubt a larger knee cap would do much. More calf wrap would be easier to add to the right size shin than it would be to buy too big and cut down the excess. You could get foam/plastic cut to the shape you want and stitched into what's already on the shins you end up with to close up any gaps on the back of the leg, similar to a homemade "Savior."

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Very much appreciated.  Good points made. 

Anyway, like you said, best to get correct size and "add" extra padding if necessary. 

I've debated doing this myself. My shin guards fit different with my APX vs. MX3. The length was perfect with the first set of skates, but rub a little on the top of the MX3 boot. I've just dealt with it, but I wouldn't be opposed to buzzing a little off like you've implied. I don't see a problem with it.