Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Bauer Re-Akt 200

19 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Thanks JR.  Do you know who Bauer worked with?  Or is that just marketing speak in the product description?

I missed the helmet at Winterfest.  :-(  Too much time talking to True and Warrior reps I guess.  :-)

Mark

They worked with themselves.  They designed the helmet. 

Howdy,

1 minute ago, JR Boucicaut said:

They worked with themselves.  They designed the helmet. 

Really?  Wow.  This quote (which is on all the descriptions I've seen) sure implies they worked with someone outside.

"New for 2017, the RE-AKT 200 helmet is Bauer’s latest and greatest commitment to players’ protection. Developed in partnership with leaders in hockey helmet research, and validated at Bauer’s state-of-the-art design center, the RE-AKT 200 is the product of endless research, and an overall focus on player safety."

Kinda weasel-y if they just did it in house to say it like that.

Mark

Keep in mind that every brand has someone they do research with. 

I'll look at my notes, but it was not VT. They aren't working with anyone. 

I hope VT's ratings don't become the Nürburgring of the hockey world (auto manufacturers use the ring for testing and more often then not wind up with a car that is good at one thing, the Nürburgring).

I got myself a Reakt 75 when it first came out as I needed a new helmet.

My jaw about dropped when I saw the price of the new Reakt 200 without a cage.

Personally, looking at the differences (~1.0 rating difference), I don't think spending the extra $200 on a helmet is worth it, but that's just my opinion.

6 hours ago, sparky1 said:

I got myself a Reakt 75 when it first came out as I needed a new helmet.

My jaw about dropped when I saw the price of the new Reakt 200 without a cage.

Personally, looking at the differences (~1.0 rating difference), I don't think spending the extra $200 on a helmet is worth it, but that's just my opinion.

Hard to say, since the ratings are largely flawed and irrelevant. 

9 hours ago, stick9 said:

I hope VT's ratings don't become the Nürburgring of the hockey world (auto manufacturers use the ring for testing and more often then not wind up with a car that is good at one thing, the Nürburgring).

Could not agree with you any more.

The ReAkt 200 is double the price of the ReAct 75.  I don't mind paying more for *perceived* safety, but it just didn't fit well on my son's head.  He liked the 75.

Bought the original ReAkt when it first came out.  Protect this and protect that.  Ended up as a 1-star rated helmet.  Annoyed to say the least.

It may have ended up as a one-star rated helmet, but this is where the research is flawed. You mean to tell me, hypothetically speaking, the Re-Akt helmet and the Mission M-15 helmet, a low-end entry-level helmet, fit my head the same exact way. The M-15 is going to protect my head the same level as the Re-Akt? I'm calling BS every single time. And it really makes my job as someone who works in a hockey shop much, much more difficult when this "information" exists. Had a woman, who's a loyal shopper in my store, come in the day after the ratings were released wanting to buy two Krown 360 helmets because they were the top-rated helmet at the time. Refused to take my advice regarding said helmet, and as of today, neither of the two kids she bought the helmets for, are wearing it.

9 hours ago, WhosUrDaddy said:

The ReAkt 200 is double the price of the ReAct 75.  I don't mind paying more for *perceived* safety, but it just didn't fit well on my son's head.  He liked the 75.

Bought the original ReAkt when it first came out.  Protect this and protect that.  Ended up as a 1-star rated helmet.  Annoyed to say the least.

Is this for junior sizing?

Last I saw, the Reakt 75 was $119, the Reakt 200 is $300+, almost triple the cost.

21 hours ago, EBondo said:

Had a woman, who's a loyal shopper in my store, come in the day after the ratings were released wanting to buy two Krown 360 helmets because they were the top-rated helmet at the time. Refused to take my advice regarding said helmet, and as of today, neither of the two kids she bought the helmets for, are wearing it.

what's wrong with the krown 360? i love mine

I hate how god damn massive and bulky this Re-akt 200 helmet and the Re-akt 75 are. It seems clear to me that companies are using softer foam, but way thicker foam, to jack up their VT ratings. That's great, but when hockey helmets become the size of football helmets so they can get their 5 star rating, we're gonna have a couple other issues.

Im dubious as to how much of an impact the heat moldable occipital lock is as well. The theory and explanation behind it makes perfect sense to me, but the implementation and actual effectiveness seems less impactful.

At least the padding won't come unglued and fall out after 2 months though

Solid information here on helmet safety and reality (and I learned something new on the "work with" claim(s) ... Thanks JR ...)

Full disclosure: I'm a partner at Hockey Plus and there are plenty of instances where players and parents equate cost with safety.

In any case, I tried on the ReAkt 200 and it's comfy.  One nice aspect I found is that it has a "suction-like" feel that I expect keeps the helmet from shifting.  I love my Resistance and probably wear it a bit loose, but it can shift around occasionally.  I suspect the ReAkt would be less likely to do so.

Anyway, we did a quick 4K HD video to show some of the ReAkt 200 details up close.  At the risk of a shameful plug, I actually chose to do it based on my lurking here and hope it's helpful.