Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lapierre#1

What kind of helmet/cage combo?

Ive worn the Bauer 4500/white CCM cage combo for a few years now but want to get a more comfortable and safer helmet, along with a less goofy looking cage. Recommendations or pictures for good combos???

Thanks fellas !!!!

I wear a 4500 with Reakt cage, Helmet fits my head great and I find it very comfortable but Helmet fit is all up to the individual. On the cage however I highly recommend the Reakt, super light weight and vision is amazing.

I've been using the Bauer 5000/7500 for a long time. Used to have an Itech RBE cage, now using a Easton S9 cage. Honestly... any cage will require a bit of adjustment time, but i think its bogus if people tell you that you can't see out of a cage... 

Howdy,

Given that you want better protection, I would start at the top of this list and work down it until I found a helmet that I could afford and that fit properly / felt good on your head.  

http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

My current helmet is a CCM Resistance 300 and I like it pretty well.  

As for cages, my priority was lighter weight so I went with the Bauer Ti cage and am really happy with it's weight and a little less happy with the chin strap mechanics.  The Resistance 300 helmet puts the snaps for the cage strap up higher than what Bauer does (because of the helmet's adjustment mechanism), so there's more of a cantilever / leverage on the straps, but it works well enough for me today.

Mark

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

^ Ignore that URL, it's a flawed study with questionable results. 

ditto, please ignore this "study."   Try on helmets and get the one that fits your head the best and is comfortable. Bauer, CCM and Warrior all have very comfortable helmets, if they fit right.  I wear an original Bauer ReAkt and don't see myself switching. 

Howdy,

54 minutes ago, ironslave said:

ditto, please ignore this "study."   Try on helmets and get the one that fits your head the best and is comfortable. Bauer, CCM and Warrior all have very comfortable helmets, if they fit right.  I wear an original Bauer ReAkt and don't see myself switching. 

You know what the most comfortable helmet is?

None.

Cheaper too.  And the fit is _perfect_.

OP if you're actually interested in "better protection" as a motivation to upgrade your lid, read the procedures VT uses to test helmets (info is at the link above) and decide for yourself if you think they provide more information than old wive's tales and unsubstantiated claims made by manufacturers.

Mark

16 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

You know what the most comfortable helmet is?

None.

Cheaper too.  And the fit is _perfect_.

OP if you're actually interested in "better protection" as a motivation to upgrade your lid, read the procedures VT uses to test helmets (info is at the link above) and decide for yourself if you think they provide more information than old wive's tales and unsubstantiated claims made by manufacturers.

Mark

So, I may have missed it, but I read the procedures because I always thought the results of the study seemed odd. I didn't see anything about them accounting for different head shapes. It seemed like they only used one head mold for all of them. Did I miss that? Not trying to start an argument, legitimately curious.

Howdy,

40 minutes ago, kmfdm86 said:

So, I may have missed it, but I read the procedures because I always thought the results of the study seemed odd. I didn't see anything about them accounting for different head shapes. It seemed like they only used one head mold for all of them. Did I miss that? Not trying to start an argument, legitimately curious.

I am not any type of expert, but my reading matches yours, that the same headform is used for all testing.  I have no idea how much that can impact (heh) the g-forces the headform experiences as a result of a strike from the test machine.  This study seems to address that at least in part btw, though I've not done anything beyond lightly skim it: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1754337114548245

Football is, of course, further along though.  A fairly recent study seems to have found a strong correlation between actual on field concussion frequency & the predicted frequency via the STAR system.  There's an interview about that here:  http://www.momsteam.com/studys-finding-that-newer-helmet-reduced-concussion-risk-validates-star-helmet-rating-system-says-Stefan-Duma

This applies (to me) because it would appear that the same headform is used across all their football helmet testing as well.  And I expect hockey player head shapes vary in the same ways as a football player's headshapes do.  :-)

I also do not want to try and start an argument.  I obviously do feel pretty strongly that impact testing (and particularly, 'real scientific reporting' of that testing vs. Marketing PR speak) should be used as a major criteria factor in picking out a helmet.  The only testing that seems to be occurring that reports comparative results is the STAR testing.  I'm firmly in the camp of "that's a lot better than none" while still being open minded as to how that testing can be improved.

People should investigate and make up their own minds.  There do not appear to be commonly agreed on definitive conclusions that are backed by any type of actual research.  It may well be that "whatever helmet fits best protects best" works as well as the STAR rating system in terms of predicting the ability of a helmet to reduce force transmission in an impact, even if I personally find that completely ludicrous .

Mark

My main concern is football helmets always seemed to be more innately connected to the head by extending further down and around the head. They're deeper. (I've never played competitive football so I could be way off)

I know if I put on a poor fitting hockey helmet I can drastically reduce the contact area with my skull by just shaking my head. It seems if they're using the same impacts and same headform for each helmet then certain impacts will always at least rate ok, while others would rate REALLY well or REALLY bad depending on the shape of the helmet in relation to the headform. 

Food for thought. I do love that people are trying to study it though! Anyway, back on topic. Haha.

Keep in mind that the purpose of a helmet is to prevent fracture. The VT study is flawed and therefore basing your purchase on it is just silly. Find something that fits you and is comfortable. 

Basing your decision on the VT study because "it's better than nothing, regardless of how flawed it is" is just as ignorant as basing your decision to not vaccinate your children because some horribly flawed nonsense study linked it to autism. We know that study was BS at this point, but "it's better than nothing" could certainly have applied to it as well. 

I think it's time to move past the VT study and stop suggesting it on MSH. This forum has typically tried to protect people from misinformation and I'm starting to think we're hitting that point.

I appreciate the responses fellas, I'm going to go with the Bauer Re-Akt 200 or 100 along with a Re-Akt Titanium cage.

BTW, on that study the first thing I noticed that struck me as odd was the hate for the Re-Akt 100 helmet, especially putting it lower than the 75 despite it being safer and more conformable during other research.

Have you tried it on? I wore a 4500 for years (narrower fit) and the Reakt helmets are all too wide and rattle on my head.

29 minutes ago, Lapierre#1 said:

I appreciate the responses fellas, I'm going to go with the Bauer Re-Akt 200 or 100 along with a Re-Akt Titanium cage.

BTW, on that study the first thing I noticed that struck me as odd was the hate for the Re-Akt 100 helmet, especially putting it lower than the 75 despite it being safer and more conformable during other research.

The Re-Akt and Re-Akt 100 both rated lower than the $35 Bauer 2100.... I'd really recommend you go and try it on, see what helmet fits, is comfortable, and looks good on you. 

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Have you tried it on? I wore a 4500 for years (narrower fit) and the Reakt helmets are all too wide and rattle on my head.

Yup, the Re-Akts fit great, the 4500 is quite tight on me despite size adjustments, I have a rounder head

5 hours ago, Lapierre#1 said:

Yup, the Re-Akts fit great, the 4500 is quite tight on me despite size adjustments, I have a rounder head

I'm with you. Always wanted to wear a 4500 because they're the best looking helmets still IMO but they just don't fit me. Have a re-akt now, which is the only thing I had found at the time I bought it that didn't have pressure spots. However the newer CCM resistance buckets are by far the most comfortable helmets I've ever tried on.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:44 PM, marka said:

Howdy,

Given that you want better protection, I would start at the top of this list and work down it until I found a helmet that I could afford and that fit properly / felt good on your head.  

http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

My current helmet is a CCM Resistance 300 and I like it pretty well.  

As for cages, my priority was lighter weight so I went with the Bauer Ti cage and am really happy with it's weight and a little less happy with the chin strap mechanics.  The Resistance 300 helmet puts the snaps for the cage strap up higher than what Bauer does (because of the helmet's adjustment mechanism), so there's more of a cantilever / leverage on the straps, but it works well enough for me today.

Mark

Here ya go again...  VT VT VT....  Why?  There is zero... I mean ZERO corroboration of that study and we know that impact testing does not equate to concussion prevention.  

I've run a few combos in my time but found the Bauer IMS 9.0 + Bauer Concept 3 combo to be pretty good. Do recommend. The fishbowl always looks a bit goofy but I felt the combo was the most protective I've tried in recent years.

IMO other good cage choices are CCM FM580 and Bauer RE-AKT (Titanium)