Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diablo34

Joining adult ice hockey league any advice?

48 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

I don't need to read any of your past conversations to respond to specific things you've said in this conversation. You're not even playing the game yet and you're here talking about wanting to "bully" and "get in the head" of opponents and getting all excited about the fact that you've been led (incorrectly) to believe that "no contact" means you can purposely initiate any kind of substantial "contact" if it's along the boards.

Listen: your "size" is totally irrelevant to adult recreational hockey except that it makes you harder for defensemen to move you from the slot or (once you pick up some skills) lift your stick off the puck; and it makes you a bigger screen in front of goalies. That's it, OK? Recreational hockey just isn't a sport where you're going to be able to "use" your size in any kind of offensive way as you imagine -- or, for now, considering you can barely skate, just fantasize about -- because you'll get knocked right on your ass (and embarrassed in many other ways) by guys half your size if you try to play "physically" against them. 

If you're interested in becoming a player who can skate with the puck, hustle without the puck, pass, make plays, and shoot the puck, you'll enjoy recreational hockey. But everything in your posts in this thread suggests that your primary motivation for picking up hockey is that you miss the physical contact of football and that you think your size will be a big plus in recreational hockey. If that's the case, look into rugby, not recreational hockey, and go nuts. Just about every responder in this thread has been trying to communicate that to you in different ways. Try to pick up what everybody's been putting down for you.

Howdy,

On 6/6/2017 at 4:21 AM, Diablo34 said:

Okay guys so my captain wants my to play center. Mostly because of m superior endurance and mediocre backwards skating ability. I'm going to an adult only hockey training session at my rink Wednesday to see how I measure up and to try to improve as much as possible before season

Sounds good.  If its like most beginner leagues, the only thing that really means is that you'll take the faceoff before everyone gets completely out of position.  :-)

Anything you can do to get in more skating will help.  If you've got time after that, get a green biscuit or a stick handling ball or whatever and work on stick handling when you're bored.

Have fun!

Mark

7 hours ago, YesLanges said:

I don't need to read any of your past conversations to respond to specific things you've said in this conversation. You're not even playing the game yet and you're here talking about wanting to "bully" and "get in the head" of opponents and getting all excited about the fact that you've been led (incorrectly) to believe that "no contact" means you can purposely initiate any kind of substantial "contact" if it's along the boards.

Listen: your "size" is totally irrelevant to adult recreational hockey except that it makes you harder for defensemen to move you from the slot or (once you pick up some skills) lift your stick off the puck; and it makes you a bigger screen in front of goalies. That's it, OK? Recreational hockey just isn't a sport where you're going to be able to "use" your size in any kind of offensive way as you imagine -- or, for now, considering you can barely skate, just fantasize about -- because you'll get knocked right on your ass (and embarrassed in many other ways) by guys half your size if you try to play "physically" against them. 

If you're interested in becoming a player who can skate with the puck, hustle without the puck, pass, make plays, and shoot the puck, you'll enjoy recreational hockey. But everything in your posts in this thread suggests that your primary motivation for picking up hockey is that you miss the physical contact of football and that you think your size will be a big plus in recreational hockey. If that's the case, look into rugby, not recreational hockey, and go nuts. Just about every responder in this thread has been trying to communicate that to you in different ways. Try to pick up what everybody's been putting down for you.

Ya and everyone gave good advice that I listened to.. why don't you sit back and think for a second how the hell would I know any of this. That's the reason for asking questions on this forum. To receive good advice without keyboard warriors attacking you for asking an honest question

Don’t think your skating will rapidly improve over a short period of time. It will take a substantial amount of time and effort to have the mobility and ability you seem to want. The game is played much slower at the lower levels and you’re size really doesn’t matter at all for this type of hockey it’s not TV.

3 minutes ago, g3k said:

Don’t think your skating will rapidly improve over a short period of time. It will take a substantial amount of time and effort to have the mobility and ability you seem to want. The game is played much slower at the lower levels and you’re size really doesn’t matter at all for this type of hockey it’s not TV.

I think he gets the point that he shouldn't play like Kesler in a men's league. But size can come into play! You've just gotta be smart and not a prick about it. It's not about contact or physical play, it's about having that extra bit of reach, putting your body in between the other player and the puck, and screening the other goalie. But again, to be able to do this, you've gotta improve your skating otherwise it will be pointless.

One thing I always told kids when I coached or adults who are just learning is to watch as much high level hockey as you can. Study what the players are doing, where they are going and why. Unlike football, hockey rarely has set plays that go as planned. You'll set something up but as soon as the puck drops it usually goes out the window. Ask the veterans questions while your playing, it's the best way to know what you need to do. There are only a few things worse than someone who chases the puck all over the ice. Don't get offended if someone who knows the game tells you that you need to do something, even if they are a little rough about it. Don't think at this point that you are an okay skater because you're not. Being able to go forward, stop and turn doesn't mean anything. You have to learn to skate forwards, backwards, turn, transition and more at game speed sometimes with a puck on the end of your stick. Learn all the positions. I couldn't count how many guys I've played with that can't play defense because they can't skate backwards. Last thing, learn the rules. It's frustrating when you play with someone who constantly goes offsides, ices the puck or screws up others basic things because they don't know the rules or game.

I played in a league where they took beginners and mixed them with veterans and really enjoyed it. It is always fun teaching someone the game, especially when they have the right attitude and want to learn the game. I have seen guys go from barely being able to skate to being pretty good at that level. These were always the guy who asks questions and listens to what you tell them, practice off the ice, go to stick and puck or pick up hockey and bust their asses when they play

1 hour ago, chk hrd said:

I played in a league where they took beginners and mixed them with veterans and really enjoyed it. It is always fun teaching someone the game, especially when they have the right attitude and want to learn the game. I have seen guys go from barely being able to skate to being pretty good at that level. These were always the guy who asks questions and listens to what you tell them, practice off the ice, go to stick and puck or pick up hockey and bust their asses when they play

That was one of the problems in the rookie league I played in... it was ALL rookies. There was nobody who could pass the puck, making it near impossible to learn to take a pass. I found once the guys could skate well enough to start joining in lower level pickup games the skill level increased dramatically because they were given time and space to make a play, and also had skilled guys feeding them passes over and over again until they got it right during pickup that they weren't going to get during their league games. 

Unfortunately now that rookie league has become even worse, where the players who DID start to get good refuse to pass to the newbies and think they need to skate around everyone. Or you get the guys who actually can skate and shoot and they score a lot so they think they need to put on a show for all the pro scouts in the stands at 10:30pm on a Wednesday night. Even worse when they decide they're going to "play physical" and end up breaking somebody's ankle trying to fight them.... 

Honestly, just remember what everyone here said about almost everyone having to go to work the next day. You're officially to the point where your games DO NOT MATTER anymore. You are doing this for fun, and it should be treated as such. The sooner you realize that, the better. I was a college athlete and I struggled "turning it off" for a couple years after I was done. Once I realized that I was playing more for time with friends away from the hassles of the Real World it became so much better. The rec hockey community is pretty close-knit, you will find. I have almost ZERO contact with anyone I played high school and college baseball with, but the guys I play rec hockey with are my closest friends. People that would do anything to help me out if I was in a jam, and I would do the same for them.

It's about the experience, not the game, if that makes sense.

Dude, work on your skating any chance you can.  As others mentioned, you may be a stud on the football field but you will be owned by smaller guys if you decide to be the tough guy.  I've been on the receiving end and delivering end and it is a reality check (got knocked on my ass by a 5'8" dude and I leveled a 6'6" 300lb guy that thought he was going to take a run at me).  Given your size, work on your balance and screen the goalie, until you feel comfortable skating and making plays.  I wish you the best.  

On 6/2/2017 at 11:03 AM, DRR said:

Also, if you're joining an existing team, bring beer your first time. Very important.

Super important

One key thing is to ask for feedback from guys who have a 'coach's mentality.' These are the guys who can help you figure out positioning in a certain situation. Why your shot isn't getting off the ice even when you are putting all you have into a shot. Stuff like that is easier to correct when you have someone(s) who give you credible, instant feedback. You played at a high level of football so you should have a sense of those people who can correct you and you know that you'll be better for it. And with this same person(s), ask them questions. It is amazing what you can learn through just one random question. I've learned this over time through officiating and, now, coaching. It ALWAYS helps to pick the brain of people who know the game AND and can convey that information to anyone who is seeking that knowledge.