Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moejoe3117

Would profiling skates be better for a beginner?

I may, it may not. IMHO, profiling is about preference. If you're a beginner, how do you really know what your preference is?

Generally, a 9' radius gives you more agility and better pivots, etc. An 11' radius gives you more contact with the ice, makes you more stable, and gives you more speed.

But for a beginner, I'm not sure if the differences will make that much of a difference. As long as the skates fit properly, I'd focus more on proper technique before thinking about things like this. It's kind of like asking a pre-schooler what college they want to go to.

Well it's my third session of ice, I have played roller for 22 years. I've got some bad habits when trying to play ice. Thought maybe profiling to a 10 or 11 give me a bit of a roller feel

Depends who's doing the profiling, but if you can find a reputable person to do it, then I would say it's always better to profile than not. Especially when I see the way the steel comes from the factory sometimes. I just ordered new custom skates. The steel on one was 1/32" taller than the other and shaped differently. I'm glad that I noticed it and am able to fix it myself.

What sort of wheel set up did you use for roller? I always felt like inline skates had a "radius" on the longer side, so 10' or 11' might be closer to what you feel on inline skates. 

Or, get a combo radius from somewhere  (longer profile on the back half of the blade, shorter on the front half. No Icing in New Hampshire does great mail order), which probably comes closest to replicating the Mission Hi-Lo set up. 

Edit: As someone who transitioned from roller to ice,  I'd also add that learning how to use your edges and getting your sharpening dialed in is more useful than worrying about your radius. And, learning the habit of actually stopping with the play when it changes direction, instead of just taking a big long looping turn that might eventually get you back near the action. Haha

Yes and no, depends on your skates and your natural style from many years of roller. When I first switched, I tried easton and Bauer and really struggled to stop, then tried grafs and it was a easy, natural motion. The extra pitch forward made all the difference to getting a little more over the toes. You may find a shim is more beneficial and then a profile if you still want.

I was in the same boat as you and have been on the ice for about 6 months now. I'd echo what others have said, especially in terms of finding what hollow works best for you and getting used to your edges.  I found getting used to the outside edge and shaving ice to be especially challenging when first making the transition.