Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vuronov

Youth sizing for hockey helmet/cage?

My 5 year old nephew is wanting a hockey helmet and cage as he's been starting to learn to play hockey.

I was looking at the usual online shops and wasn't quite clear on sizing for youth helmets. Are there even such things? I just saw the usual listing of helmets from large to medium to small with some extra-small sizes. I asked for his head circumference and should have that soon, but do youths just normally wear xs helmets or am I just missing the youth helmet section?

thanks!

The Bauer Prodigy is a youth-specific helmet. Comes with a cage as well. They also make the Re-Akt 100 in a youth sizing if you want more protection, and CCM will be releasing the FitLite 3DS Youth helmet relatively soon as well.

https://www.purehockey.com/product.aspx?itm_id=18352&div_id=11&gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07cAFDT6JSk8UuDFE-A5UK2ZrZzwmjCoJRme6RpOwaBRoCQC7w_wcB

https://www.purehockey.com/product/Re-AKT_100_Helmet_Combo/itm/18366-11/?mtx_id=0

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Out of curiosity, what have kids that size (my nephew is 3'6") been using up to now normally?

Never even try to buy hockey helmet online. Thats bad idea.

You need to go to hockey store and try them on. This is only one way.

Reason - you might easliy buy wrong size. also heads are so different so some helmets just doesnt work...

Kind of depends on his/her head shape and circumference. I guess just like adults. I got a prodigy helmet for my 3.5 year old back when he was 2, but its kind of designed for oval shaped heads, my kids head is more round and the fit is pretty awkward to be honest. The cage is also really small, my kid's 3.5 and the bottom of the cage doesn't even reach to the bottom of his chin. Measuring the circumference of his head he'd actually fit in a size Small helmet from pretty much any brand. He doesn't have an abnormally large head or anything either, so I bet a small size of just about any helmet would fit a 5 year old just fine as well. They all come in different shapes though, I'd recommend trying them on at a store. Personally I think I might go with an IMS 5, it looks very similar to the prodigy, but the padding is different and its supposed to fit more of a round shaped head, going to try it on and see how it goes.