Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bl4

Transitioning from Ice to Roller

I'm a longtime ice hockey player who somehow never played roller hockey or even roller bladed.  I'm considering getting a pair of inline skates primarily for exercise. (Yes, I realize it's not 1995, but I hate running.)  I might try roller hockey at some point, but for the time being, I'm looking for something to use recreationally.  I'm trying to decide: (1) what type of skates I should get; and (2) whether it might be worth using this as an excuse to buy new ice skates and see if I can get my current pair (Bauer One Nines) mounted with wheels.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

2 is probably a good option. If you buy recreational skates now and decide you want to play roller hockey later then you're buying 2 new pairs of skates instead of 1. 

Keep in mind though if you're skating outside that concrete and asphalt are a lot tougher on skates than ice or sportcourt.

I'm a ice player and I only play roller at the outdoor rink with my kids, I always hated the transition back to ice. I played in a summer inline league 20 years ago and when I went back to my junior team for camp I almost couldn't skate. Recently I mounted a set of Marsblades to an old pair of nikes and I was blown away with how "ice like" the feel is. the $200 price tag seems steep but when you consider you are getting 10 wheels and a full set of bearings and spacers the price is comparable to a decent traditional setup.

Thanks for the responses.  Sturdy22, have you used the Marsblades on surfaces other than outdoor rinks (e.g., sidewalks or any surfaces that might be poorly maintained)? Trying to figure out if using hockey skates on paved bike paths, etc. is a terrible idea...

6 hours ago, bl4 said:

Thanks for the responses.  Sturdy22, have you used the Marsblades on surfaces other than outdoor rinks (e.g., sidewalks or any surfaces that might be poorly maintained)? Trying to figure out if using hockey skates on paved bike paths, etc. is a terrible idea...

I've used the skates everywhere. I skated in them on the sidewalks around my house with out trouble. If you are familiar with skating in hockey skates, then use a pair of hockey boots mounted on a roller chassis.

One follow up: do you think the lack of brakes would be an issue for skating on terrain that's not flat, or could I just snowplow, drag a foot, etc.?

Do Roller boots of the same branding as ice boots fit the exact same? If I wore a CCM tack on Ice, would the tack roller blade be the way to go?

6 hours ago, Cove said:

Do Roller boots of the same branding as ice boots fit the exact same? If I wore a CCM tack on Ice, would the tack roller blade be the way to go?

Yes and no. If they're Tacks of the same generation then the fit will be the same, but a 2014/15 Tack will fit differently than a 2016/17 Tack. The same would be true of the ice lines though.

Current Mission skates use the Bauer Supreme last. Vapor or Jetspeed Inline and Ice boots fit the same as long as they're from the same generation.

There is no ice equivalent for Alkali or Tour. There are threads here discussing the Alkali fit.

The original Verbero Vortex skates have the width of a Nexus skate, but depth closer to a Vapor. The Vortex II was also a wide boot, but they added more depth. The new Cypress line is supposed to have a narrower fit than the Vortex skates. There are threads discussing the Verbero Vortex, Vortex II and the new Cypress line.