Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I had to have a third shoulder surgery to replace a torn labrum again last month. Now, I'm starting to learn how to re-use my arm, and my doctor said hockey shouldn't be in my future. I'm 30 years old, and I think it's somewhat ridiculous that I wouldn't be able to build up my strength and play again, but if that is the case, I'm looking at alternatives to stay with the game.

I've looked into refereeing and what I would need to do to start with that, but does anyone have any tips for starting coaching? I already have the Hockey Plays and Strategies book by Mike Johnston, which I've heard is one of the best, but any additional reading material/tips for starting to coach and/or ref would be much appreciated.

33 minutes ago, penguinpelts said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but I had to have a third shoulder surgery to replace a torn labrum again last month. Now, I'm starting to learn how to re-use my arm, and my doctor said hockey shouldn't be in my future. I'm 30 years old, and I think it's somewhat ridiculous that I wouldn't be able to build up my strength and play again, but if that is the case, I'm looking at alternatives to stay with the game.

I've looked into refereeing and what I would need to do to start with that, but does anyone have any tips for starting coaching? I already have the Hockey Plays and Strategies book by Mike Johnston, which I've heard is one of the best, but any additional reading material/tips for starting to coach and/or ref would be much appreciated.

30 years old and he's telling you to give up hockey due to a torn labrum?  Um, yeah... I would find a different doctor - particularly one that specializes in sports medicine and encourages rehab/PT and a return to the sport of your choice.  Just my opinion, I have had the same surgery twice but that's not gonna deter me from playing.

Ha! I've actually been thinking the same thing. I trust this guy, he is a sports ortho too, but he's saying the amount of times I've dislocated and have had surgeries, I already have quite a bit of arthritis, which is why he suggests no more high-impact sports.

If you want to start coaching, you need to know the mechanics of the fundamentals (skating,shooting,passing,checking) and how to teach them. This is where you start. The Johnston book is great, but that's more x's and 0's. Get with USA Hockey and join their coaching program, and get on as an assistant with one of the local clubs.

If possible, do both. It gives you a much better perspective. Now heading into my 7th season as an official, 3rd as a coach, you have a better feel of how to relate to all parties involved in any given game and/or practice. What you need to focus on first is signing up for your annual seminar(s). This will give you a sense of what you are getting yourself to and who you can go to for advice/guidance. For officiating, I don't think there are any Level 1 seminars left for the 2016-17 season. USA Hockey's fiscal year starts August 1st. That is when you will be able to sign up for your 2017-18 Level 1 seminar. You have to attend an officiating seminar every year. Coaching seminars are handled different. About a month ago, I completed my Level 3 coaching seminar for the 2017-18 season. USA Hockey does a good job of showing the requirements needed to satisfy the upcoming season's certifications. For officiating, you will learn the techniques at the seminar you attend. It is up to you to surround yourself around officials who work higher levels to learn how to use proper technique. For coaching, you aren't going to taught how to coach. And depending what level you start at, you can go into a new season as a complete novice. Given that you will be an assistant coach, you hope that have a head coach that help you along the season. And technical expertise will be tested differently depending on age/level. At the end the of the day, start with signing up for the officiating seminar as soon as you are allowed to. For coaching, I'd imagine you would have to line up a team that will use your services first. That way, you can take the books and online seminar that will match your new team's level.

@215BroadStBullies610 That's all good to know, thank you! I did speak to some of the officials at my rink about reffing, and I still have a ways to with my rehab, so most likely it will be next year I'll be signing up for any seminars, because as I understand it you have to skate at the ref tryouts.

2 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

Ha! I've actually been thinking the same thing. I trust this guy, he is a sports ortho too, but he's saying the amount of times I've dislocated and have had surgeries, I already have quite a bit of arthritis, which is why he suggests no more high-impact sports.

High-impact at 30?  Do you play full-contact?  Or is he just worried about random incidental collisions and stuff like that?  I figured he would most be worried about movement and hyperextension.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

High-impact at 30?  Do you play full-contact?  Or is he just worried about random incidental collisions and stuff like that?  I figured he would most be worried about movement and hyperextension.

Nope, no full contact. Random bumps here and there. But according to him I shouldn't play hockey, baseball, basketball, etc. I was thinking more of ok, no more getting beat up in front of the net and going flying into the corners, gotta lose weight and become a better skater with a better shot.

One piece of advice if you're going to get into reffing is to find out who the shot callers are in your area and what their stories are. Leagues generally go through a head ref/assigner and it can be a bit of a political experience depending on the assigner in question.

11 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

One piece of advice if you're going to get into reffing is to find out who the shot callers are in your area and what their stories are. Leagues generally go through a head ref/assigner and it can be a bit of a political experience depending on the assigner in question.

That's Chippa, was told the same thing by my local refs to make sure I know who the scheduler is and that I haven't pissed him off too much as as player. Good to know, though, that this is a common thing.

15 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

@215BroadStBullies610 That's all good to know, thank you! I did speak to some of the officials at my rink about reffing, and I still have a ways to with my rehab, so most likely it will be next year I'll be signing up for any seminars, because as I understand it you have to skate at the ref tryouts.

To my knowledge, you don't try out to become an official. The only time skating is evaluated, at least in my district, during a seminar is for Level 4.

15 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Ain't that the truth ha? I'm fortunate though: I'm the position that I can work enough hockey to stay in the loop.

Just a heads up: the calendar for USA Hockey just turned over on Tuesday. There is a new login system that you MUST create a new account for yourself. It is the ONLY way to then register for clincs/seminars. Enjoy the 2017-18 season boys and girls!

On 6/16/2017 at 5:37 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

To my knowledge, you don't try out to become an official. The only time skating is evaluated, at least in my district, during a seminar is for Level 4.

I got my patch, so clearly they don't evaluate skating for level 1 ;) 

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

I got my patch, so clearly they don't evaluate skating for level 1 ;) 

Haha I think there should be evaluations at Levels 3 and 4. 4 should obviously be tougher because its the highest level and those guy/girls will be the ones chosen to work the Nationals come early Spring. Level 3 should so that more of the higher level hockey will have competent officials working those games.

2 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Haha I think there should be evaluations at Levels 3 and 4. 4 should obviously be tougher because its the highest level and those guy/girls will be the ones chosen to work the Nationals come early Spring. Level 3 should so that more of the higher level hockey will have competent officials working those games.

One of the things we did during our seminar is skate backwards around all the circles. I did my "old guy that cant skate shuffling" while all the kids were doing backwards crossovers. Man did I feel stupid. 

I think my crest was '14-15 and ended up never reffing a single game. 

Bummer. Well, you're missing out on all the fun. Like, don't you want to be yelled at consistently during that 10:45 p.m. Tuesday night men's league game haha? Think about all the dreams you could crush...

9 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Bummer. Well, you're missing out on all the fun. Like, don't you want to be yelled consistently during that 10:45 p.m. Tuesday night men's league game haha? Think about all the dreams you could crush...

I actually originally did it because I have ZERO desire to have kids, but thought it would be nice to get involved in youth hockey. I figured reffing little kids might be a good way to do that.

I think what kept me from doing it, other than my job that required me to travel on short notice all the time, is that I would have been paired with young teens most of the time if I was reffing 5-10 year olds. Mehhhh. 

Also, I switched to goalie right around that time so that kind of took the focus away from it. 

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

I actually originally did it because I have ZERO desire to have kids, but thought it would be nice to get involved in youth hockey. I figured reffing little kids might be a good way to do that.

I think what kept me from doing it, other than my job that required me to travel on short notice all the time, is that I would have been paired with young teens most of the time if I was reffing 5-10 year olds. Mehhhh. 

Also, I switched to goalie right around that time so that kind of took the focus away from it. 

Fair enough. That first year is rough. And with all the background checks, I can see why people don't want to start it up.

1 minute ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Fair enough. That first year is rough. And with all the background checks, I can see why people don't want to start it up.

I wasn't able to make a single one of our association meetings. I was out of town for every single one of them, and we were told that missing two would be a suspension (though I'm sure they could have made an exception for my situation.) The funny thing was when they mentioned the meetings being where you get paid. I was like... oh, right... you get paid for this. I had completely forgotten. It was almost like I had it in my head that I was still playing hockey, just playing a different position; lol. 

12 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wasn't able to make a single one of our association meetings. I was out of town for every single one of them, and we were told that missing two would be a suspension (though I'm sure they could have made an exception for my situation.) The funny thing was when they mentioned the meetings being where you get paid. I was like... oh, right... you get paid for this. I had completely forgotten. It was almost like I had it in my head that I was still playing hockey, just playing a different position; lol. 

Yea: it is a job haha. Weird to think of it like that but I'm always reminded when I do my taxes!