Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kyleo29

Helmet break in period

So I just bought a new re akt 75 after having a Bauer 5100 for about 7 years. Fit of the new helmet is good and in store it seemed fine. But I wore it around the house while stickhandling a little to see how it felt, weight, etc... anyways after like 5 minutes some major pressure came on across the forehead and temples. All my old helmets were just straight VN liners so I'm not sure if this newer stuff breaks in like VN or if this just isn't the helmet for me. Can't test it on the ice because then I can't return it. Anyone have experience with this?

I bought that exact helmet and had the exact same issue.  In the store it felt fine but on the ice (after 10-15 minutes) the pressure on my temples would lead to migraine type pain.  I thought that it would go away after a 1 month break in but it never did.  I ended up buying a IMS 9.0 and haven't looked back.

The re-akt 75 is certainly a nice helmet but it must not have been the right fit for me.

I had that problem once but it was because the cage was squeezing the helmet on the sides. I widened the cage and it solved the problem. Do you get the same discomfort if you wear the helmet without the cage, or with the cage raised up out of the way?

1 minute ago, Larry54 said:

I had that problem once but it was because the cage was squeezing the helmet on the sides. I widened the cage and it solved the problem. Do you get the same discomfort if you wear the helmet without the cage, or with the cage raised up out of the way?

I never tried without the cage or raised up; however, I tried opening up the cage enough that I could see plenty of daylight between the cage and the clips (while on my head) but the it didn't help. 

My cage fits without squeezing the sides. The weight from the cage slightly pulls the front of the helmet down and puts a little more pressure on my head but without the cage the pressure points are still there. I mean I know even in beer league you gotta protect yourself but I'm starting to think I might just use my old 5100 until it disintegrates 

The problem with all these "hi tech" helmets is that they are not forgiving. Return it. And don't fall for the marketing. VN helmets protect your head as well as the more expensive ones. That being said, the one non-VN helmet that I found to be as comfortable was the CCM Tacks 310.

I have the re-akt 75 and it fits me pretty snugly after I had adjusted the size some.

I personally didn't have any issues with any pressure points but I don't have a very wide head.

The problem with VN lined helmets is eventually the VN foam hardens due to sweat/salt perspiration and the life of the VN foam. The VN foam will die and lose it's effectiveness. At that point, pull the foam and wear the shell !!

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, DarkStar50 said:

The problem with VN lined helmets is eventually the VN foam hardens due to sweat/salt perspiration and the life of the VN foam. The VN foam will die and lose it's effectiveness. At that point, pull the foam and wear the shell !!

I don't believe that to be true, and apparently, neither does the HECC (USA) and CSA(Canada). They certify both types of helmets to last the same time. Also,CDC recommends replacing both VN and EPS/EPP type helmets every 10 years.  I think VN is fine.