Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Kgbeast

Saad for Panarin

First, as I came across "Saad back to Chicago" headline,  I was "you've got to be kidding me", but when articles opened up, I did the yes thing in my mind. While it is sad to loose Saad, I feel that Panarin is a much better fit to Jackets. Not sure how Blackhawks will do out of this, but I am pretty excited to see Panarin in blue. I think he will do exceptionally good this season if he stays.

I'm curious to see how he'll do out of the shadow of Kane. He created some serious chances for Russia in the World Championship, but that was on the bigger ice surface. He may prove easier to nullify when he's not the 3rd or 4th checking concern. Saad makes perfect sense back in Chicago to replace Hoss's play on both sides of the puck.

I'll be interesting to see how it works out. From a financially standpoint, it seems to pretty much even. Is Saad a safety net for Toews? Paranin should fit in nicely with CBJ. I just wonder who set him up like Patty K.

22 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

From a financially standpoint, it seems to pretty much even.

identical caphit, but Saad is locked in for another 4 years and Panarin hits UFA in a year or 2 so this is longterm cap savings for the Hawks

Salary Caps are not my money to count, so I do not really care. Skill wise Panarin is excelent. I think Kane's shadow was holding him back, nor he needs Kane to set him up. He can be setup by anybody. He is a heads up player from birth and protects himself verywell (unlike Bjorkstrand for example) His big weakness is that he is a bit timid. Not a fighter, nor a hitter. He is also pretty small. But (the new) Torts seems to have a touch to get players like that to shine. I am totally expect Panarin to become as prominent as Atkinson if not more so. I can't wait for the season to start.

Just noticed some welcome by me changes to the CBJ raster besides addition of Artemi Panarin.

Vitaly Abramov - explosive forward who has lots of puck-handling skill, beautiful skating, and heart of a lion to go in the thick of it. A QMJHL graduate who have been a menace of the offensive zone for a couple of years now. He is a smaller guy and as of now has not shown lots of defensive value, but offensively is quite spectacular. Provided he is not intimidated and outplayed by NHL level, he should bring a slew of memorable highlights. Seeing him on the raster is a bit surprise, but it also shows CBJs willingness to give a shot to someone with a great promise. I hope Abramov will hit the NHL ice running and play his way out of being demoted to AHL as it often happens in situations like this. 

Oliver Bjorkstrandt - is a guy who showed lots of promise, but was not able to deliver in his start in NHL. He had to prove himself in AHL for a season or so. As anyone who watched him last season noticed, he showed worthy talent and an ability to score. create plays, and do all that in a quite spectacular manner last season. Love to see him on the raster as a proper part of the CBJ team.

Those are some good offensive end gains, unfortunately, Jackets have not scored a great deal in the defensive area. So unless they do some more trading to reinforce the blue line, it will be left as it was last season with perhaps a chance of Gabriel Carlsson improving from his rather modest production. Perhaps, once again, Bobrovski will be able to compensate for any lacking in this area, which can get him another Vezina and Hart nomination next year.   

Bjorkstrand got hunted on a vicious boarding play by Polak, are there other instances where he failed to protect himself? It's not as easy to protect oneself against illegal hits...

Another upside on OB you miss is he's a coach's son and he plays like it. It seemed Tortorella was gaga with Bjorkstrand at the end of the season and I think that's why. He makes the right play with and without the puck most of the time.

It'll be interesting to see Panarin without Kane. I think Kane boosted him and you think Kane held him back. Interesting :)

OB is one of my faves, and I am looking forward to see him play. He tends to drop his eyes on the puck just after picking it up and kind of tunnels puck to target, be it a net or possible pass destinations. Imo this leaves him less aware of surrounding, opening him to hits and takeaways. Panarin is rarely gets hit and is very hard to take the puck away from. Other than that they have similar skills at scoring and creating plays. I was not saying OB does not know how to protect himself, it just he does not do it as well as Panarin.

As for Kane boosting Panarin. I see that Panarin kind of takes a back seat when Kane is on the ice and instead of trying to score and create plays, he is more of a expecting Kane to do that. Lose of that connection and move to a different club should prompt him to be more independent and be the player he can be.

But we will see. Jackets have pretty complicated raster I think.

Just noticed that Jackets listed Panarin as #9 since his previous numbers are already taken by Murray and Bobrovsky. Also looks like Jackets expecting Panarin to play center. I am looking forward to the start of the season...

10 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Just noticed that Jackets listed Panarin as #9 since his previous numbers are already taken by Murray and Bobrovsky. Also looks like Jackets expecting Panarin to play center. I am looking forward to the start of the season...

I could be wrong but I'd think Panarin is better off playing the wing. It gives him more room to do his thing offensively. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 7:47 AM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

I could be wrong but I'd think Panarin is better off playing the wing. It gives him more room to do his thing offensively. 

It is pretty easy to underestimate a simple and humble guy. I believe we have seeing only the tip of an iceberg. Playing center can take him to the next level and develop his defensive skills. With Jackets, he is the star. I believe that Kane to Panarin was what Sergei Fedorov was to Datsyuk. While it was pretty great, Datsyuk exposed himself as a legendary only after Fedorov was gone. I might be wrong here, but I think Torts here onto something. Then of course, this could be simply because CBJ ended up shy of centers and Panarin is the best choice to convert into one.

Edited by Kgbeast

On 7/29/2017 at 8:37 PM, Kgbeast said:

It is pretty easy to underestimate a simple and humble guy. I believe we have seeing only the tip of an iceberg. Playing center can take him to the next level and develop his defensive skills. With Jackets, he is the star. I believe that Kane to Panarin was what Sergei Fedorov was to Datsyuk. While it was pretty great, Datsyuk exposed himself as a legendary only after Fedorov was gone. I might be wrong here, but I think Torts here onto something. Then of course, this could be simply because CBJ ended up shy of centers and Panarin is the best choice to convert into one.

Not sure why one would be so concerned about his defensive skills when he puts up points. But who am I ha? I'd leave him at wing. CBJ has other plans.

• Like 1