Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diablo34

Begginer adult league body checking and retaliation

Understanding the rules of hockey as a spectator is a lot different than understanding the rules as a player. As a player you have to understand the rules from the book  and the unwritten rules. Both come with experience.  

1 hour ago, Diablo34 said:

To all the people saying I don't understand the rules of hockey: I do! I have watched and been an active season pass holder for 9 years. 

If you believe that you should behave in adult league the way you see on tv or at an NHL game, you're part of the problem.  I know that you're only trying to learn.  But behaviors that are acceptable in the NHL, particularly in terms of protection and retaliation, are not acceptable in beer league.  Your guy got hit, give the guy a shove to stick up for your teammate.  Much more than that and you're crossing the line.  Talking of throwing punches or retaliating later is just wrong.

NHL players attack a guy any time he hits a teammate now, clean or not.  It's ridiculous.  That's not ok where you'll be playing.  In beer league, non-check doesn't mean non-contact.  What look like big hits are often decent plays where one, or both, players were out of control.  Guys stay down regardless of how hard the hit was or how injured they are in beer league.  If you're going to try and "protect" your players the way you see in the NHL every time there is a collision or a player stays down, you're gonna get a pretty bad reputation pretty quickly.

Yea, we all want to stand up for our teammates. It is just tougher to do so in 2017. Any form of professional hockey shouldn't be used as a baseline of how to 'get even.' You have to remember that you can get a 5 min. major for Slashing. ONE punch constitutes a fight. Shoving a guy/girl is probably your best bet. That still is risky because who knows how the person will fall. When all fails, CHIRP haha.

Another thing I wanted to add, you come from high level football, so I think you can apply some of the common sense things from there. It's probably like playing flag or touch football in comparison to the NFL or college. 

12 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Another thing I wanted to add, you come from high level football, so I think you can apply some of the common sense things from there. It's probably like playing flag or touch football in comparison to the NFL or college. 

That's actually a perfect analogy and it really helps me understand. Thank you!

A few years back I played in 2 different summer leagues.  The outcome was...One league was what you where used too...a controlled game with consistent reffing as they had registered refs.

The other league had college kids dropping pucks and only calling big penalties....needless to say  I have not returned to that league...why??? the reffing was that bad.  We had an incident where a guy steamrolled (crosschecked) a girl from behind who was standing in front of the crease (didn't see any hacking at a puck) and yes he had the stupid mentality that he was in the right.

Which is alot of what I also witnessed...alot of guys doing BS little things because they where "Right" and this is/was the way to play hockey.  I also noticed guys in this league also playing with woodies and would use it to their advantage.  They skated slower and used the wood.  It got to a point that I would not play my good sticks in this league.