Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diablo34

Blocking shots and chirping

The only time I've ever come close to blocking a shot in men's league is when playing d and I start drifting towards the puck carrier after he's entered the zone to take away options and it hits me in the shin pads. If you're laying out to block a shot in men's league you need to reevaluate if you're playing the right sport. 

Also dont chirp you look like an ass. If it's a buddy on the other team that shoots over the net the old "were you going for the extra point on that one" is fine at the face off or a stoppage in play. Anything more and you're an idiot

I think the main thing about chirping is that you shouldn't set out to hurt anyone's feelings because everyone is entitled to their enjoyment of hockey without someone making disparaging comments and making them feel bad. Hockey, especially beer league level, should be a safe place for people to be able to enjoy a sport without someone else's microaggressions making them feel like less than a person. 

If you want to block shots, go ahead but they hurt. 

Still patiently waiting for this guy to ask a singe legit question about any basic hockey skill instead of just more questions about every conceivable way you can be the biggest asshole on the ice in beer league...and not holding my breath for it.

hey guys....  I was wondering what is the proper technique to hook someone?  Do you all prefer the overhand chop or side chop with your stick to the mitts of a player blowing by you?  How do you properly slew foot someone?

I figure I'd get these questions out of the way.

There is nothing wrong with blocking shots. It happens all the time in the games I play. I don't think anyone is trying to play 'hero' but its our competitive nature. For me though, I flamingo everything haha. I ain't try to get by ANY puck.

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

There is nothing wrong with blocking shots. It happens all the time in the games I play. I don't think anyone is trying to play 'hero' but its our competitive nature. For me though, I flamingo everything haha. I ain't try to get by ANY puck.

You're right that there's nothing wrong with blocking shots. I do it too. Usually standing, legs together, but I have laid out before in important games.

The point was that if asking about laying out to block shots comes before asking about actual skills development, and only after asking "is it okay to fight?" and "is it okay to chirp?", that just screams hero to me. Priorities seem a bit skewed towards trying to be macho. 

12 hours ago, chikinpotpie said:

I think the main thing about chirping is that you shouldn't set out to hurt anyone's feelings because everyone is entitled to their enjoyment of hockey without someone making disparaging comments and making them feel bad. Hockey, especially beer league level, should be a safe place for people to be able to enjoy a sport without someone else's microaggressions making them feel like less than a person. 

If you want to block shots, go ahead but they hurt. 

Beer league is a safe place? Not in the lockerroom when you've played with the same guys for a while.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, jlt73 said:

The only "chirping" I do is to my buddies and they return it of course.  

This is literally the only chirping I do. Its more fun to make fun of my teammates than try to get under the other teams skin.

Laughing at the other team who is legit trying to chirp is fun too.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

You're right that there's nothing wrong with blocking shots. I do it too. Usually standing, legs together, but I have laid out before in important games.

The point was that if asking about laying out to block shots comes before asking about actual skills development, and only after asking "is it okay to fight?" and "is it okay to chirp?", that just screams hero to me. Priorities seem a bit skewed towards trying to be macho. 

The most I'll go is one knee, but even then that's rare (partly because I'm a slow skater and have to get in position in time.)

Don't you guys think there's a bit of piling-on going on here in criticising the OP? Sure there's some bravado in the OP's questions, and if you feel the need to make a point and point that out and set him straight, that's fine. But to come back to the thread and chirp him when he hasn't even replied, come on.

Isn't there even a shred of doubt about his motives? Knowing if chirping or fighting is acceptable goes both ways. It lets him know what not to do, and it lets him know that other people shouldn't be doing it either. If your new to beer league and someone chirps you, how do you know whether to just suck it up, because it's part of the game, or to shake your head because it's not cool?

2 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Don't you guys think there's a bit of piling-on going on here in criticising the OP? Sure there's some bravado in the OP's questions, and if you feel the need to make a point and point that out and set him straight, that's fine. But to come back to the thread and chirp him when he hasn't even replied, come on.

Isn't there even a shred of doubt about his motives? Knowing if chirping or fighting is acceptable goes both ways. It lets him know what not to do, and it lets him know that other people shouldn't be doing it either. If your new to beer league and someone chirps you, how do you know whether to just suck it up, because it's part of the game, or to shake your head because it's not cool?

I think you've missed the point.

Guys who seriously chirp opponents (chirping your own team is not only acceptable, but encouraged) or leave their skates to block shots are the same ones who "play to the whistle".  Take that as you want.

As with everything in life, there are situations that warrant these things.  The "do it again and I'll kill you" reply to a questionable play (if you consider that a chirp) is inevitable.  Sliding or diving to block an imminent goal on an empty net, or in the waning seconds of a close, meaningful (read: playoff, championship, or other elimination) game is not discouraged.  I made a game saving, diving block on an empty net off a bad carom last week.  Kept the game tied and we beat the 1st place, at 9-1, team in a shootout.  The guy who took the shot grabbed me and helped me up saying how awesome of a block it was.  My bench and the bar upsairs watching the game went nuts.  So it does get appreciated in the right situation.  Every shot you can get in front of is certainly not the right situation.

3 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Actually, I think if you go back to all the responses to his original post, you'll see that people have been extremely patient, offering only genuinely constructive criticism. IMO, the OPs subsequent responses (and questions) indicates he'll ignore every well-meaning constructive piece of advice received and do exactly what he's been told by 50 people not to even think about doing on the ice.

Regarding the benefit of doubt about his motives, I'm just patiently waiting for him to ask any legitimate question of the thousands of questions that brand new players typically ask here about improving his hockey skills. All he has to do to change the tone of responses is stop asking about every possible way there is to be an asshole on the ice and just ask some questions about playing hockey, instead.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I can see that. It is tough to read someone via keyboard though...

There are only two times I will chirp.  Time one, I usually chirp myself to the other teams to break the ice and inject some humor.  Time two, I chirp my own teammates in a friendly and sarcastic way.  If I'm chirped I usually laugh it off or ignore it.  Unless it's the ref chirping, f that dude.  He's getting paid to watch me suck in beer league.  (jk, most refs are awesome)

Blocking shots?  You are crazy.  I'm paying to play, not the other way around.  If it's a rare occasion that I'm on D, if I don't get the forward to go wide and I miss the poke check, I'm giving the goalie the shooting lane so he can see the shot coming while still trying to position the forward where I want him to go.  I'm not going to hurt myself or break my skates trying to block a shot.  Not worth the pain and not worth the glory.  

idk why everyone is making it seem so bad, chirping by definition is just a poke at the other guy generally off of a shitty play they just made. chirp all you want but you know the line, don't cross it, 99% of these guys come from blue collar jobs where ball busting is mandatory or you'll get eatin alive.

16 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Some one who writes "I am very competitive" in the context of this question, kind of gives a little something. This is not because he is competitive, but because he felt the need explain his questions and explain them with that statement.

I'll leave the last (and arguably most important) beer league shot blocking technique tip here:

Whenever you find yourself in the shooting lane- hand over the junk at all times.

Shins and ankles heal, that area not so much. 

15 hours ago, SaveByRask said:

idk why everyone is making it seem so bad, chirping by definition is just a poke at the other guy generally off of a shitty play they just made. chirp all you want but you know the line, don't cross it, 99% of these guys come from blue collar jobs where ball busting is mandatory or you'll get eatin alive.

I'd argue, if you need to ask if it's OK to chirp, you likely don't know where that line is.

Caught a shot in the tongue on an accidental shot block 2 weeks ago.  In a boot for 8 weeks - radial break to second metatarsal.  Sucks.  Starting out I wouldn't do it till you are good at it.  I've purposefully blocked tons of shots and then caught one on a weird angle and bam!  I wouldn't start doing it till you've played awhile.  

On the whole chirping etc. . . my advice is to just go out and play and be a nice dude for like 6 months.  Get to know the guys you play with and you'll make some buds you can mess with and even play physical with at a rat hockey or in a game.  You wanna sort that out though.  I love playing physical but I do it with other dudes that like it too, not somebody not expecting it who can get injured or who does not come out to play like that.  What you don't want to do is show up as the super competitive "I was a varsity other sport guy" that just is a douche bag that everybody hates.  We have a few in our league and everybody hates them.  Their own teammates don't even care for them.  

The problem is they are not good yet they are super physical/chirpy so you feel bad just running them to prove a point because they suck and it's just embarrassing.  

Play for a while, be a good dude, have class, respect, ask people how to be better and be open to advice.  When you get comfortable you can ask some guys at a rat hockey if they want to check or anything and maybe you'll find some buds that will.  Otherwise, don't start out your hockey playing career that way, trust me, you get that reputation and you are not only losing out of fun but your wrecking it for a lot of people on the other team and even on your own team.  

21 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Maybe sometimes. But I'd argue that, other times, it's ridiculously obvious to read someone perfectly through what he chooses to type out on a keyboard.

4 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Some one who writes "I am very competitive" in the context of this question, kind of gives a little something. This is not because he is competitive, but because he felt the need explain his questions and explain them with that statement.

27 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

Maybe sometimes. But I'd argue that, other times, it's ridiculously obvious to read someone perfectly through what he chooses to type out on a keyboard.

Fair points. Maybe there will something(s) to learn for the OP...