Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyChicaga

CCM Jetspeed Xtra Pro + II Skates

Has anyone had experience with these SMU skates? How do they compare to the other lines of retail CCM skates, most notably the top end FT1? 

I am currently using Bauer 1X skates from 2016, and more and more I'm finding that I'm having a lot of pain in my forefoot. I have thin feet/heels, but my foot is more wide near the front. I think going to a wide skate would be a mistake. Doing some research, the Jetspeed may be a good fit, since it's wider in the forefoot than the Vapor, but has good heel lock. I just can't spend $900 on skates right now... So I'm looking at $400 SMU Jetspeeds. If anyone has any reviews or experience with these skates info would be appreciated.

I always tell my customers that the SMU's have some of the features of the top of the line skates but at a cheaper price point. For someone who is playing hockey regularly and needs a higher quality skate the Xtra Pro + is a good idea. It is based off of the FT380 but with some upgrades:

-SpeedBlade +2 Stainless Steel (upgrade from base model steel, 2MM of more blade for more aggressive turns and blade life)

-Composite Outsole (taken from the FT390, makes the skate lighter and maximizes energy transfer)

-Carbon Composite Midsole ( taken from the FT1, makes the skate lighter and maximizes energy transfer)

-Brass Eyelets (taken from the FT1, placed at the top of the skate because the eyelets go through the most tension at the top)

-Tri-Tech 7MM Black Felt Tongue (taken from the FT1, same concept from the FT1 tongue but the FT1 has a white tongue, this gives you a little bit more padding in the tongue and is made up of 3 layers embossed with lace bite protection)

I'm skating in the FT1's currently and I love the skate and since you are under a budget the Xtra Pro + is a great skate for you. I would definitely try to go to a local shop that carries the Xtra Pro + and try it on before buying just because if varies with different feet and I wouldn't want for you to spend $400 and not be able to fit in the skate comfortably. If you need help finding stores look up Sports Excellence retailers because that is the buying group for the Xtra Pro + skates. Hope this helps!

I also have SMU skates (Tacks Vector Pro, based on the 5092) and they are very good for the price, but are now to small. If they fit, I'd go for them.

I tried on the FT380's today at the store (almost bought them), and they fit perfectly. Since these are the same boot, I'd imagine they'd fit the same correct?

4 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

I tried on the FT380's today at the store (almost bought them), and they fit perfectly. Since these are the same boot, I'd imagine they'd fit the same correct?

Yeah they should fit the same. If you have a irregular foot though I would still try the Xtra Pro + on just to make sure but you should be alright!

Follow up: A pair of new Jetspeeds, last years top-end model, just came up for sale $20 more than this years SMU. Might be a dumb question but should I just get last years top of the line model? 

I haven't tried on the new Jetspeeds, but from what I've read the new line is a half size smaller than the old line. So if you fit into say an 8 in the new line then you'd be a 7.5 in the old line.

As for whether you should go with the Xtra Pro + or the old top of the line Jetspeeds; I don't personally know enough about the two skates to weigh in. I'll let others guide you there, but thought I would mention the sizing difference in case you do choose to order a pair from the old line.

10 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

Follow up: A pair of new Jetspeeds, last years top-end model, just came up for sale $20 more than this years SMU. Might be a dumb question but should I just get last years top of the line model? 

This is what I did

I also came from a higher end Bauer, which were killing my big and pinky toes. The toe box just isn't wide enough and it actually caused 2 small bone spurs on my left foot. As a result, now my shoes or anything else I wear don't fit properly.

The Jetspeeds from last year have that little bit of extra room in the toe box that I needed. Same size as my Vapors too, 8.5D.

I have a few skates on the Jetspeeds and so far I really like them

11 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

If you have a local pro shop that has both go try on each skate one on each foot and compare. That will be the best way to make up your mind on which you want. Of course it does depend on your foot shape on whether you want to go with last years top of the line or this years Xtra Pro+ SMU.