Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Switching from a P28 to PM9/P92

Just receiving passes. I just lose them under the heel. I like everything else about the curve just can't catch a pass in tighter to my body.

3 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Interesting @Jamarquan. I know that @hollowicked and I were talking and he couldn't play he wanted due to the stick being too long. Maybe that had something to do with it?

I could see that - the HD5 I used it on was not only too long but very heavy, maybe it's a good curve.

45 minutes ago, johnyo said:

I love my shot with the P28 but I lose passes near the heel? Any tips? I'm coming from a PM9.

Do you cut your sticks? If so, how much did you cut off?

57 minutes ago, johnyo said:

I love my shot with the P28 but I lose passes near the heel? Any tips? I'm coming from a PM9.

It's just a guess because I've only demonstrated shooting with the P28, never owned one myself or gotten to try one in a game or scrimmage, but I think it could have to do with the flatness of the heel of the P28 compared to the PM9. The PM9 has a really sweet subtle rocker to it, especially on the heel, so if you're tilting your blade up to catch a pass that's a little out in front of you, you'll have a little more contact area with the ice to trap the puck. With the P28, it's more of a spike because of that flat heel without rocker, so the puck's more likely to hit a portion of blade and deflect off at a funny angle. That's the main reason I still shy away from buying my own P28. I'd love to try one out, but I'm afraid I might miss more usable range at the heel. The curve and blade overall is great. I just wish the heel rocker were closer to the PM9.

Edit: my guess for how to fix it, I can only think it might help to cut your stick a little shorter, so even when your stick is out in front and a pass is coming into the heel, more of the blade is on the ice. It could take away the range you're used to, but the whole blade is a bit higher lie than the PM9, so if you haven't made a slight shorter length adjustment already, that might help.

29 minutes ago, johnyo said:

Just receiving passes. I just lose them under the heel. I like everything else about the curve just can't catch a pass in tighter to my body.

I see. Yea, I've gotten use to catching passes more with my toe when caught in similar situations. As @flip12 pointed out, this is why one would probably shy away from using this finicky curve. Cutting your stick or lower BOTH your hands are the only two solutions that come to mind. Neither may be practical (esp. the latter) haha.

22 minutes ago, flip12 said:

It's just a guess because I've only demonstrated shooting with the P28, never owned one myself or gotten to try one in a game or scrimmage, but I think it could have to do with the flatness of the heel of the P28 compared to the PM9. The PM9 has a really sweet subtle rocker to it, especially on the heel, so if you're tilting your blade up to catch a pass that's a little out in front of you, you'll have a little more contact area with the ice to trap the puck. With the P28, it's more of a spike because of that flat heel without rocker, so the puck's more likely to hit a portion of blade and deflect off at a funny angle. That's the main reason I still shy away from buying my own P28. I'd love to try one out, but I'm afraid I might miss more usable range at the heel. The curve and blade overall is great. I just wish the heel rocker were closer to the PM9.

Edit: my guess for how to fix it, I can only think it might help to cut your stick a little shorter, so even when your stick is out in front and a pass is coming into the heel, more of the blade is on the ice. It could take away the range you're used to, but the whole blade is a bit higher lie than the PM9, so if you haven't made a slight shorter length adjustment already, that might help.

Other way around, stick would need to be longer not shorter to have the heel contact the ice.

I took an inch off of my sticks tonight to see if going shorter with the P28 can allow more movement in my shot motion to get shots off quicker than a longer stick. Typically I cut 1 of Bauer retail but decided to only cut a half inch lately. 64 inches standing is what I've been using but decided to try 62.5. Less heel on the ice for shooting. More room to get hands in front for shots and less stick to get in the way for cross body stuff.

9 hours ago, flip12 said:

That oblivion/wobble is due to from shooting with the puck in transition between the two dual lies. It is a bit of a discrete step compared to a more continuous rocker like on the P92 or PM9. If you learn to release the puck before or after that zone, it shoots beautifully and quickly. Just have to get a feel for where it is and snap it off at the right time.

Oh, I definitely know why it happens. :laugh: It goes back to what I was saying earlier, though. There's a lot less forgiveness when you need to get one off with heavy pressure on you. A lot of time you just don't have the time/space to perfectly release the puck. Crappy ice also makes it a more difficult curve to use. I don't think it's a coincidence that the slight slump I've been in came right around the time the weather started heating up here in Chicago.

When I get back from vacation I'm gonna rock the P92 again and see how it goes. I'll be sure to post some results.

Honestly I am not a pull shooter and I have typically played the off wing to cater to my shooting style. I havent been as creative as I was before and its tougher to be deceptive with the P28 I think considering the load process can be read from a mile away compared to ones who shoot from their skates or through skates. I can pass well with the P28, I can shoot well with the P28 but theyre either HIGH corner shots (left or right) or they are low blocker shots... I have been using the P28 for a while now and have gone back and forth with the 88/92/28 at this point but Ive also found myself playing a lower level of hockey until now where its consistently a B league variant in MA. I happened to mess around with a 28 and 92 back to back in an open ice session and while the 28 was flashier and had more punch when I got a shot off I felt more comfortable with the 92 and I could place shots better with the 92 but what always reeled me in was the sizzlers that I could fire off with the 28. It was like dating a rocket that you KNEW wasnt going to be around for long while the 92 is like the high school sweetheart... The 28 was like Megan Fox in transformers while the 92 was like Sandra Bullock in While you were sleeping (dont judge me its a good movie)

I went from P28 back to P88 because in faster games similar issues to yours arose.  I couldn't get clean shots, or sometimes even passes, off if I was under pressure because of the dead zone between the middle and toe.  Plus, the rocker and curve were causing contested pucks to get through me, which isn't good as a defenseman.  The P28 is a great shooting blade.  It allows you to catapult the puck towards the net without having to take full motion wristers.  But the trade off is it requires technical precision to place and release the puck in certain spots.  When I had time to do that, my shots were great, especially off the wrong foot.  But when I didn't have the time, everything fluttered.  In the end, I decided consistency and blade on the ice were more important than the chance of an improved shot if I could get it off.

6 hours ago, 60PlusWinger said:

Honestly I am not a pull shooter and I have typically played the off wing to cater to my shooting style. I havent been as creative as I was before and its tougher to be deceptive with the P28 I think considering the load process can be read from a mile away compared to ones who shoot from their skates or through skates. I can pass well with the P28, I can shoot well with the P28 but theyre either HIGH corner shots (left or right) or they are low blocker shots... I have been using the P28 for a while now and have gone back and forth with the 88/92/28 at this point but Ive also found myself playing a lower level of hockey until now where its consistently a B league variant in MA. I happened to mess around with a 28 and 92 back to back in an open ice session and while the 28 was flashier and had more punch when I got a shot off I felt more comfortable with the 92 and I could place shots better with the 92 but what always reeled me in was the sizzlers that I could fire off with the 28. It was like dating a rocket that you KNEW wasnt going to be around for long while the 92 is like the high school sweetheart... The 28 was like Megan Fox in transformers while the 92 was like Sandra Bullock in While you were sleeping (dont judge me its a good movie)

Sounds like to me that you should use the P92. Don't ruin your game trying to use the new hotness everyone else is.

I always played the sakic curve which is the p92 now up until recently when I switched to the 28.  All that's been said about shooting and passing is true and I've experienced the same.  The major difference for me is the lie angle.  The 92 let's me keep the puck in closer which I like, the 28 I can lose control if I get the puck too close.  It's a small adjustment period though.   I noticed when I play center I like the 92 better because I dish the puck more than shoot it but the 28 is more friendly for the Wing here I tend to shoot more.