Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Switching from a P28 to PM9/P92

Has anyone here gone from using a toe curve to something less aggressive? I am currently using a P28 and have been using that curve for quite some time now. I am playing at a higher level and the game has gotten a lot faster which has exposed flaws. I am a shooter and really like what I've been using providing I have time to shoot which has been drastically reduced since I jumped a level. I can pass well, Great shot velocity when I can actually get them off and there are times where I play very well with it but there are a lot of other times where I cannot pick spots and my creativity suffers because I find myself thinking about how unforgiving shooting with this can be. I'm actually considering giving the PM9, P92 a shot. The game is just so much faster and I find myself stumbling and fumbling when I should be a lot quicker. It's almost like the P28 is too surgical for my play at a faster level. 

I do it all the time. I have curves ranging from heel to toe. I switch whenever my game hits a road block. Takes warmups to get acclimated, but all is well once the game starts. Having read countless posts of yours, I'm pretty sure you have a stick collection going much like myself. Take both sticks (88 and 92) to your next game and play a few pucks in warmups with both. Whichever feels best use in game. Viola!

been lookingI currently have two sticks which are matching E28 75 Flex CXs. I've been looking for a permanent solution instead of changing curves for different games because the league I play I never know what I'm going to get or what position I'm going to be playing

3 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Have you tried the P46 curve?

I think he'd like it, strongly recommended it considering what he tried before. Try it @60PlusWinger, it might be just what you're looking for!

Just now, flip12 said:

I think he'd like it, strongly recommended it considering what he tried before. Try it @60PlusWinger, it might be just what you're looking for!

I agree. If CCM can get its act together in regards to the blade durability, I'd go back to that curve pronto. 

Problem with the P 46 is that it's dead so I will have to hunt for them at some point and as far as the P 30 is concerned  that leaves me only one brand and one stick at this point to work with 

If the game/play is faster you should stick with what you are comfortable with. Why risk switching to something you'll need to adapt to? Seems like switching would only further expose said flaws.

P92 is a great curve. Just broke one of my Warrior QR1 Yakupovs(P28). Going to switch back to the Warrior QR1 Henrique(P92). I definitely had a more accurate shot with the P92.

3 minutes ago, Pez68 said:

P92 is a great curve. Just broke one of my Warrior QR1 Yakupovs(P28). Going to switch back to the Warrior QR1 Henrique(P92). I definitely had a more accurate shot with the P92.

Had a chance to use the W28 during SummerJam. I really liked it. And given that I've used the E28 (Easton V9) and P28 (Bauer 1N), its a curve that I'm now used to. To your point though, P92 is probably easier to control since it's more heel-friendly. 

I'm used to the curve as well. It's just much less forgiving than the P92. I find myself struggling at times to get shots where I want them, because you really need to have the perfect angle to maximize the W28. When you can get the full motion required to get the puck coming off the toe, it's amazing. The problem is, if you can't, the puck will very often fly off into oblivion. You also have a lot less blade to work with for getting shots off, IMO.

In my personal experience, my W03 was a very uncomfortable curve for me. It may have been the stick itself, but I did not have a good experience with it.

5 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

It's weird: the reason I've gravitated toward the 28 curve is due to it being quick-release friendly. 

Oh, it absolutely is. Maybe the problem is just that I have used the P92 and similar curves for so long, I'm just more effective with it. :biggrin:

The P88 (MC in True), 92 or even the MC2 in True would be great all around curves. I use the 92 on my True's, but am thinking of picking up a MC2 to see if there's any benefits to going with a slightly less toe curve for me. Either way all 3 are great choices.

It's a very distinct possibility. I have the W28 cut the same length as the W03. Maybe I need to go a little shorter, since you're typically shooting with the puck closer to your body.

With the P28 I utilize the toe to corrale pucks, I used the mid blade to shoot if I want it low or to take a slapshot... passes too of course. If I have the time to load up and release the P28 offers my best shots but it's only a top left or top right shot. The only way to get lower is mid blade which is usually low blocker area as a left shot. I also find the curve to be bad for in close shots, back hand or forehand. 

Agreed. It took me a while to get use to harnessing this funky curve. For me, in-close shots have me relying more on my wrists and keeping the puck/stick in front of me. ALL my backhanded passes/shots come from the heal. The toe is way too gnarly for me to handle. 

I have a bit of weird experience. I went from a P92 to a P28 a while back and things went really well for about 6-8 months. Practically zero transition period. I felt confident enough in the transition that I was buying all my new sticks in the P28 curve. But just recently I've been finding that my accuracy has suddenly taken a dip. Maybe it's just me going through a bit of a funk, but it's concerning enough for me to seriously consider making the switch back.

2 hours ago, Pez68 said:

I'm used to the curve as well. It's just much less forgiving than the P92. I find myself struggling at times to get shots where I want them, because you really need to have the perfect angle to maximize the W28. When you can get the full motion required to get the puck coming off the toe, it's amazing. The problem is, if you can't, the puck will very often fly off into oblivion. You also have a lot less blade to work with for getting shots off, IMO.

That oblivion/wobble is due to from shooting with the puck in transition between the two dual lies. It is a bit of a discrete step compared to a more continuous rocker like on the P92 or PM9. If you learn to release the puck before or after that zone, it shoots beautifully and quickly. Just have to get a feel for where it is and snap it off at the right time.

34 minutes ago, flip12 said:

That oblivion/wobble is due to from shooting with the puck in transition between the two dual lies. It is a bit of a discrete step compared to a more continuous rocker like on the P92 or PM9. If you learn to release the puck before or after that zone, it shoots beautifully and quickly. Just have to get a feel for where it is and snap it off at the right time.

I love my shot with the P28 but I lose passes near the heel? Any tips? I'm coming from a PM9.