Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangle_Snipe_19

2017 Stick Advice

Today I broke my 2016 1s and now I only have 1 stick.  It's the newest 1n (2016). I like it but feel there is a better stick out there for me.  My favourite sticks of all time are the 1s, 2015 1x, ultra tacks and reckoner. I have a game and practice tomorrow and multiple skates throughout the weekend and I don't trust myself with only 1 stick so tomorrow I will be buying another stick. This will probably be my main stick to start the season as my 1n is decently worn out.  I know the 2017 1s, Alpha QX and Super tacks 2.0 just came out and have the newest technologies but of course there are older sticks I can buy too.  I was just in our local hockey stores 2 days ago looking for something for the brother so I know the 2016 1x, 2017 1s and super tacks 2.0 are my main options as my size and flex are available. I play for multiple teams (high school, AAA and select AAA) so the stick would be getting used about 2 times a day so durability is a factor.  I am a 15 year old, 5'9 and 130 pounds centreman and I play a fast game with elite skating and playmaking. Not much of a shooter though although I take a lot of wrist and snap shots. I rarely ever take slap shots.  I like to feel the puck well as I make a lot of moves and dangles with my head up.  I would moats my style of play to Mitch Marner/Evgeni Kustensov or like a Steven Stamkos onus the elite one timer me slapper.'m just wondering if I can get some advice on which stick I should get tomorrow - price is not an issue.

The 1s and the Super tacks 2.0 mid-high kick points are more geared towards power shooter who like to load up for slappers. The Warrior QRL and QX are low kick sticks geared more towards quick release danglers. The True Xcore 9 ACF IMHO has the one of the best, if not the best, puck feel of any stick on the market. 

If you like your old 1s, the new 1s is supposed to be lighter and easier to load than the old 1S. It's not geared towards your style of play, but whatever you're comfortable with and what works is what works. If you're thinking of sticking with the 1S, check out the Super Tacks 2.0 for comparison. Not my usually type of stick, but I got one anyway because I really liked how they redesigned the handle of the stick to be softer and easier to load up for snap shots.

Low kick sticks are probably better suited for your game, and is usually what I go with. The QRL, QX, 1X, and CCM Trigger, are some of your better options. My personal favorites are the QRL and QX. IMHO they're the easiest loading sticks on the market, and make it super easy to get shots off quick. But they play a little whippier than other brands, about 5-10 flex whippier, which not everyone likes.

If you could wait, the new Trigger 2 is coming out in early September. It's got the same softened handle like the Super Tacks 2.0.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

TRUE A6.0 SBP.

5 hours ago, althoma1 said:

The Warrior QRL is easy to load for wrist and snap shots and has a lot of pop.

These are the two sticks I'd probably buy if I were in the market for it. I demo-ed the QRL at SummerJam and the SBP felt good in my hands. Low kicks are where its happenin' ha.

5 hours ago, puckpilot said:

Low kick sticks are probably better suited for your game, and is usually what I go with. The QRL, QX, 1X, and CCM Trigger, are some of your better options. My personal favorites are the QRL and QX. IMHO they're the easiest loading sticks on the market, and make it super easy to get shots off quick. But they play a little whippier than other brands, about 5-10 flex whippier, which not everyone likes.

After being part of the VIP program for the QX and demoing the QRL, I personally think that the QRL plays whippier as stated, but the QX plays slightly stiffer. I like the dog bone shape of the QX shaft, the fact that the grip isn't so tacky you can't move your hands and it does feel a bit more accurate when you really put something behind a shot (the taper is a little thicker than the one on the QRL; so doesn't torque as much).

With all of that said, I personally found it easier to get more on shots with less effort with a 100 Flex QRL than I did with an 85 flex QX. With the QRL, the stick does more of the work, and it's great for effortless quick wrist and snap shots, but it can torque out if you put a lot into a shot. The QX still allows for good wrist and snap shots, but requires a bit more effort from the player, however; with more powerful shots it's the more accurate stick. 

Ideally, a shop near you will have a shooting range where you can shoot all of the models puckpilot mentioned for you and can determine what feels best to you. For my shooting preferences (primarily wrist and snap shots), the QRL would be my choice based on the sticks I have tried at Winterfest and SummerJam (the two Modsquad events where demo sticks are usually available).

9 hours ago, althoma1 said:

After being part of the VIP program for the QX and demoing the QRL, I personally think that the QRL plays whippier as stated, but the QX plays slightly stiffer. I like the dog bone shape of the QX shaft, the fact that the grip isn't so tacky you can't move your hands and it does feel a bit more accurate when you really put something behind a shot (the taper is a little thicker than the one on the QRL; so doesn't torque as much).

With all of that said, I personally found it easier to get more on shots with less effort with a 100 Flex QRL than I did with an 85 flex QX. With the QRL, the stick does more of the work, and it's great for effortless quick wrist and snap shots, but it can torque out if you put a lot into a shot. The QX still allows for good wrist and snap shots, but requires a bit more effort from the player, however; with more powerful shots it's the more accurate stick. 

Ideally, a shop near you will have a shooting range where you can shoot all of the models puckpilot mentioned for you and can determine what feels best to you. For my shooting preferences (primarily wrist and snap shots), the QRL would be my choice based on the sticks I have tried at Winterfest and SummerJam (the two Modsquad events where demo sticks are usually available).

Does shaft dimension have anything to do with a stick playing more or less stiff than advertised?

25 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Does shaft dimension have anything to do with a stick playing more or less stiff than advertised?

Not in my experience. Warrior shaft dimensions I believe are same as Bauer and True. They do not play the same. 

10 hours ago, althoma1 said:

Good to hear, the QRL is at the top of my wishlist right now. Just waiting for a sale or something here in the GTA.

The second from the top of the line QRL Pro is on sale at HockeySupremacy for $149 CAD. I've been using a QR Pro as my main stick for ice for almost 2 years (picked it up on sale from HS for $129) and have been happy with the performance. You probably won't see the QRL go on sale for less than that unless it's a pro stock stick or until after the QRL replacement is out next year. I have seen the old QR sticks go on sale for around $129 at Sport Chek.

1 hour ago, Jamarquan said:

It's the extreme taper - the dagger on the QRL and sabre on the QX. The dagger is the more extreme of the two. It's not the shaft dimensions where you grip the stick - it's the part near the bottom of the stick. 

Just now, althoma1 said:

The second from the top of the line QRL Pro is on sale at HockeySupremacy for $149 CAD. I've been using a QR Pro as my main stick for ice for almost 2 years (picked it up on sale from HS for $129) and have been happy with the performance. You probably won't see the QRL go on sale for less than that unless it's a pro stock stick or until after the QRL replacement is out next year. I have seen the old QR sticks go on sale for around $129 at Sport Chek.

Yeah I've been eyeing the QRL Pro for a while now. Very tempted but have been holding out on the hope on the QRL haha, perhaps a little irrationally. Saw the QR1, unfortunately I need an intermediate.

Quick question for you; about to pull the trigger on an Xcore9 from HS for $140. Is the TC2.5 the lie 5 version of the TC2/P92/E3? I'm 95% sure it is.

1 minute ago, AIREAYE said:

Quick question for you; about to pull the trigger on an Xcore9 from HS for $140. Is the TC2.5 the lie 5 version of the TC2/P92/E3? I'm 95% sure it is.

Yes, the TC2.5 is the equivalent of a p92 L5.

Yes, tcraig is right. The TC2.5 is the 5 lie P92 equivalent.

Based on my experience with the QR Pro, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a QRL Pro if I needed a new stick today. I currently have too many sticks right now though and I think once some start to break I may consider getting a custom QRL or whatever the latest version of that stick is at the time. I just have to decide if I want the Smyth or Gionta pattern. I love them both; so it's a tough choice, but I'm leaning toward the Smyth. 

57 minutes ago, AIREAYE said:

Yeah I've been eyeing the QRL Pro for a while now. Very tempted but have been holding out on the hope on the QRL haha, perhaps a little irrationally. Saw the QR1, unfortunately I need an intermediate.

Not sure what's the trigger point in terms of price and what specs you want are but there are a few LHS around my area that have dropped the price of the QRL a little. They have free shipping. 

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/hockey/hockey-sticks/composite-one-piece/intermediate-composite-one-piece/product/warrior-covert-qrl-grip-intermediate-hockey-stick-332070710.html#

http://cyclonetaylor.com/hockey/composite-sticks/intermediate/warrior-covert-qrl-grip-stick-int.html

I believe these are just redresses of the QRL, no?

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/warrior-covert-super-mac-daddy-grip-intermediate-composite-stick.html

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/warrior-covert-super-dolomite-grip-intermediate-composite-stick.html

And a couple of QR-1s 

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/hockey/hockey-sticks/composite-one-piece/intermediate-composite-one-piece/product/warrior-covert-qr1-flex-70-zetterberg-intermediate-grip-stick-331617486.html#331617486[curveflex]=91

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/hockey/hockey-sticks/composite-one-piece/intermediate-composite-one-piece/product/warrior-covert-qr1-flex-70-henrique-intermediate-grip-hockey-sti-331617489.html

Thanks for the links @puckpilot on the SportChek QRL!

I managed to take advantage of their 'Buy $200+ and save $40' promotion, as well as Canadian Tire's promotion (same parent company) of 15% off all SportChek giftcards. All-in, spent $196CAD post-tax on what would've been $271. 

I'm a quick release snapshot guy too, but actually prefer the stick to kick more towards my bottom hand. I'm a big fan of the Tacks line cause its an easy loading mid-kick, but also has a stiff blade which helps for quick shots. I personally have a hard time using low kicks, I find they feel stiff throughout the entire shaft other than right above the blade and it just doesn't feel good to me when shooting.

My recommendation is definitely the SuperTacks 2.0

On 8/10/2017 at 10:34 PM, Dangle_Snipe_19 said:

Today I broke my 2016 1s and now I only have 1 stick.  It's the newest 1n (2016). I like it but feel there is a better stick out there for me.  My favourite sticks of all time are the 1s, 2015 1x, ultra tacks and reckoner. I have a game and practice tomorrow and multiple skates throughout the weekend and I don't trust myself with only 1 stick so tomorrow I will be buying another stick. This will probably be my main stick to start the season as my 1n is decently worn out.  I know the 2017 1s, Alpha QX and Super tacks 2.0 just came out and have the newest technologies but of course there are older sticks I can buy too.  I was just in our local hockey stores 2 days ago looking for something for the brother so I know the 2016 1x, 2017 1s and super tacks 2.0 are my main options as my size and flex are available. I play for multiple teams (high school, AAA and select AAA) so the stick would be getting used about 2 times a day so durability is a factor.  I am a 15 year old, 5'9 and 130 pounds centreman and I play a fast game with elite skating and playmaking. Not much of a shooter though although I take a lot of wrist and snap shots. I rarely ever take slap shots.  I like to feel the puck well as I make a lot of moves and dangles with my head up.  I would moats my style of play to Mitch Marner/Evgeni Kustensov or like a Steven Stamkos onus the elite one timer me slapper.'m just wondering if I can get some advice on which stick I should get tomorrow - price is not an issue.

What did you go with?

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎27 at 10:07 AM, AIREAYE said:

Thanks for the links @puckpilot on the SportChek QRL!

I managed to take advantage of their 'Buy $200+ and save $40' promotion, as well as Canadian Tire's promotion (same parent company) of 15% off all SportChek giftcards. All-in, spent $196CAD post-tax on what would've been $271. 

Wondering if you got the 70 flex Intermediate and how the Warrior flex compares, say to a 60 flex Bauer Vapor or NXG.  I saw the QRL at Sportchek but have yet to see any 55 flex to compare.  I weigh about 155 lbs but have to cut down a fair bit due to being short.

3 hours ago, titan1234 said:

Wondering if you got the 70 flex Intermediate and how the Warrior flex compares, say to a 60 flex Bauer Vapor or NXG.  I saw the QRL at Sportchek but have yet to see any 55 flex to compare.  I weigh about 155 lbs but have to cut down a fair bit due to being short.

Warrior sticks play 5-10 flex lighter than other brands. So a 70 flex Warrior will feel more like a 60-65 flex Bauer. 

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 9:38 PM, puckpilot said:

Warrior sticks play 5-10 flex lighter than other brands. So a 70 flex Warrior will feel more like a 60-65 flex Bauer. 

Thanks.  Last week, I came across a 55 flex QRL at PHL and it felt like a 60 flex Vapor.  Then tried a 55 flex Alpha QX - wow, really felt it flex so much more at my bottom hand, it was almost like holding a wet noodle compared to the QRL.  Gotta test both of them out at the shooting cage next time!

2016 Bauer 1N, Warrior QRL Pro, Sherwood T120, Ribcor Pro PMT are among the most interesting <$200 CDN sticks available right now. I own the first 3, and have seen the Pro PMT several times in a local shop and every time have been real impressed with the weight, balance and the blade quality at a sub $200 price point.

The 2016 Bauer 1N on sale for $149 is probably the best deal on a stick I've had in the past couple years. Some people diss Bauer for not changing their stick lineup enough, but the Nexus 1N is just really well executed... from the grip texture to the blade durability to the ability to load the stick easily... why would you change it?

colins