Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal

How to check if skate blade has been overheated?

In 4 of my 5 last games I've lost the inside edge at the heel on the right skate and that is with them being sharpened in between.  That is often enough I'm wondering if it isn't a coincidence and there is an underlying issue.  It is always right at the same spot.  My first thought was that my blade had been bent.  I checked it at the rink on a door frame and it seemed fine, but I'll verify on a level at home tonight.  

My second thought was that my second to last sharpening I ended up with blades that were uncomfortably hot to the touch.  And that after they had sat for a minute or two.  Is there a way to check if the blades have lost their temper?

Any other ideas on what might cause an edge to fail repeatedly in the same spot?

Details:
Easton M8 - size 10.5 EE - stock blades - FBV 90/50

Thanks!

With a grain of salt, you can try a utility razor blade (from home Depot or Lowes for example). Put the blade against the skating edge at 30-40 degrees, and try to shave the edge off applying some down force. The razor should slide fairly easy down the skate runner. it will get stuck into a soft steel to the point that you can not move it. You can try on a kitchen knife first to get a feel. This might take some edge off your runner by the way even if runner is perfectly fine, but it should not dig in. Also the razor will get stuck in dings and nicks, and the result will depend on the angle of the razor as well as the overall quality of the runner. I guess, you can play with this and compare the behavior of the razor against the good runner vs bad.

Also note that in order to anneal the steel, it needs to be red hot, this always creates a brown burn mark that you can see. So if you have not seeing brownish edge, then I doubt it was burned. 

There could also be a more mundane explanation. A lot of rink benches around my area have metal bases and support posts. I find that if I'm not careful, I can scrape my blades across them without even noticing and that can take the edge off my steel. Do you think that could be a possibility?

Thanks guys.  I'll try the razor blade technique tonight.  I have to get them sharpened again, so no great loss if I damage the edge further.  I haven't seen the brown mark, but I wasn't sure if the stainless steel used for skate blades would have that telltale mark.

I had thought of hitting the bench bases but it has happened at a rink that has those covered.  And it is always the same skate, same edge and pretty much the same spot.  Seems unlikely I'd hit that spot so consistently if I was doing it by accident.  

Put that blade on the other skate and see if the symptom shifts to that skate.  Many skaters use their dominant side more, digging for pucks in the corners, etc, so that skate/side naturally will dull quicker and get damaged easier.  So, if you swap blades, and the problem stays on that same skate, you'll know it's not the steel.

The blades passed the razor blade technique and I had them checked at Total hockey and they agreed that they were straight.  I had them sharpen them and skated yesterday without issue.  I'll try swapping the blades skate to skate and see what I learn.