Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NiCnoK

Getting credit for Assists

Maybe it's 'cause I grew up idolizing The Great One, but I have always been a guy who loves dishing out assists. I mean, sure, goal scoring is cool too, but hooking up a teammate with a goal makes me feel better inside.

That said, it really irritates me that I seem to often not get credit for them in my Beer League. I get that refs have a lot going on, and sometimes it's hard to keep up with who set up that sudden goal, but c'mon man! It's frustrating to know you set up a couple scores and see you got no credit for them on the league website. Not that I'm obsessed with it, but I guess I'm kinda obsessed with it. I mean the goal scorer always gets his due!

So my question is this, do you'se guys have any tricks to make sure you get your credit in the box score? I thought about talking to the ref after a particularly sweet saucy dime last night but felt like a douche for even thinking about it. What about y'all?

As one who both plays and officiates beer league, this is one of those issues that seem to bother as many people as it doesn't. From what I've observed: the lower the level, the more people care about primary and secondary apples. Why? My guess is that for the players who play at the lower levels, it is the highest level they've ever played in their "career" and points seem to matter to them more. I play in the highest leagues at two local rinks and officiate the levels below that at those plus another rink. I give out assists mainly to work on keeping track of the players involved in a particular goal (whether I'm reporting it or not) for higher level games I work. I do it also to show that I'm mentally engaged in that certain game that's at 10:45 p.m. on a Tuesday night haha. It shows the players that I'm not here just for a paycheck. Curious to hear others' input(s).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

As one who both plays and officiates beer league, this is one of those issues that seem to bother as many people as it doesn't. From what I've observed: the lower the level, the more people care about primary and secondary apples. Why? My guess is that for the players who play at the lower levels, it is the highest level they've ever played in their "career" and points seem to matter to them more. I play in the highest leagues at two local rinks and officiate the levels below that at those plus another rink. I give out assists mainly to work on keeping track of the players involved in a particular goal (whether I'm reporting it or not) for higher level games I work. I do it also to show that I'm mentally engaged in that certain game that's at 10:45 p.m. on a Tuesday night haha. It shows the players that I'm not here just for a paycheck. Curious to hear others' input(s).

Not at all surprised that lower levels care more. The guys on my team give me crap for tracking my goalie stats as closely as I do (and emailing the league director to correct mistakes). It's not that I truly care so much as I'm just trying to see improvement in my own game. It's the same reason I use the GoPro and have occasionally worn my Apple Watch to get heart rate information while playing. I'm all about data, regardless of how largely meaningless it actually is. 

as the Head Scorekeeper for our league it actually entertains me when guys get obsessed with every little assist. I get that for some of these guys they haven't done a lot of athletic things in their life and it's a thrill to see on a (basically) public website that you're "lighting up the league". I allow captains, and captains ONLY to email me stat corrections. it's amazing how many send me goals and assists but how few send in the penalties.

sadly there are a few captains who will drop you from their team if you're not putting up the points.

Edited by shoeshine boy

1 minute ago, shoeshine boy said:

as the Head Scorekeeper for our league it actually entertains me when guys get obsessed with every little assist. I get that for some of these guys they haven't done a lot of athletic things in their life and it's a thrill to see on a (basically) public website that you're "lighting up the league". I allow captains, and captains ONLY to email me stat corrections. it's amazing how many send me goals and assists but how few send in the penalties.

My captain would never email the director on my behalf (because why would HE care?), so I do it myself. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not at all surprised that lower levels care more. The guys on my team give me crap for tracking my goalie stats as closely as I do (and emailing the league director to correct mistakes). It's not that I truly care so much as I'm just trying to see improvement in my own game. It's the same reason I use the GoPro and have occasionally worn my Apple Watch to get heart rate information while playing. I'm all about data, regardless of how largely meaningless it actually is. 

I understand keeping data to track your improvement (hence your own GoPro and Apple Watch). Emailing the league to correct your stats shouldn't matter if you already know what your stats are ha. Regardless, my point is that you see this MORE at the lower levels. People caring about their stats that is.

1 hour ago, shoeshine boy said:

sadly there are a few captains who will drop you from their team if you're not putting up the points.

Players take penalties in beer league haha!?

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610
Incomplete sentence.

Definitely notice it a lot more at the lower levels. When I first started skating again regularly some years back I joined a D team and we'd actually go through each goal after the game and kept our own stats. My B league team usually just leaves the score sheet on the bench after the game, or it immediately goes into the trash, no one really cares about the points. 

Howdy,

Only one league out of three I play in keeps stats at all.  In that league, I can't remember the last time I looked at them.

So some newbs don't care about stats either.  :-)  I suppose its cool to see or whatever, but if I can save $10 on my league fees and not have stats, I'm totally fine with that.  :-)

Mark

1 minute ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

No doubt. I know its not every player: don't want to put everyone under that blanket statement haha. I do agree with you in regards to standings. In the one league I play in, the champion gets 15% or 20% off next season's league dues.

I want to suggest that the champion gets all early games for the next season. Would be a whole hell of a lot better than the crappy t-shirt we get. 

• Like 1

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

I want to suggest that the champion gets all early games for the next season. Would be a whole hell of a lot better than the crappy t-shirt we get. 

Genius suggestion. T-shirts and mugs don't mean much to me. Having earlier ice slots would be more than enough incentive to show up to games and play.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My captain would never email the director on my behalf (because why would HE care?), so I do it myself. 

we have over 1,000 players in our league. I've got a real job too (and clearly I need more time to surf the interwebs) so there's no way I'm taking stat updates from individual players.

23 hours ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Players take penalties in beer league haha!?

plenty and some good ones too. my favorite recent one was the guy who kicked an opposing player in the head, multiple times and then blamed the refs for it. :laugh:

On 9/20/2017 at 12:33 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Truth

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 11:52 AM, NiCnoK said:

Maybe it's 'cause I grew up idolizing The Great One, but I have always been a guy who loves dishing out assists. I mean, sure, goal scoring is cool too, but hooking up a teammate with a goal makes me feel better inside.

That said, it really irritates me that I seem to often not get credit for them in my Beer League. I get that refs have a lot going on, and sometimes it's hard to keep up with who set up that sudden goal, but c'mon man! It's frustrating to know you set up a couple scores and see you got no credit for them on the league website. Not that I'm obsessed with it, but I guess I'm kinda obsessed with it. I mean the goal scorer always gets his due!

So my question is this, do you'se guys have any tricks to make sure you get your credit in the box score? I thought about talking to the ref after a particularly sweet saucy dime last night but felt like a douche for even thinking about it. What about y'all?

It would be nice but nobody cares. In my league, they only track goals and suspensions on the league's online page. Goals, assists, shots on goal, save percentage, etc. no stats are kept.

Having been away from actually playing for a while, i was surprised to see adult league individual stats on league web sites.  Count me in as someone who doesn’t care.

11 hours ago, start_today said:

I’ve played with plenty of dudes who played in college who still worry about stats in adult league. 

Some people care about a thing, some don’t. 

Sure, some division 3 hard guys might be like that but never anyone that got free schooling to play.

For me, I care, but I don't care, if that makes any sense. Yes, it can be a little irksom when you know you had 4 assists, but they only credit you with one. But I have better things to do than fire off emails to get credited.  My pee-pee is small but not that small. 

In my more “serious” beer league the scorekeepers come to the locker rooms after games and read off the goals/assists and give you the chance to fix it then. Pretty nice. That league also uses stats to aid in releveling decisions which helps with the parity.