Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
NiCnoK

Getting credit for Assists

I think the part that drives me nuts the most is if you're going to keep stats then can you at least just do them right? Or just don't even bother at all. Our scorekeepers have a laptop at the bench to enter stuff real time and they still get it wrong. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I think the part that drives me nuts the most is if you're going to keep stats then can you at least just do them right? Or just don't even bother at all. Our scorekeepers have a laptop at the bench to enter stuff real time and they still get it wrong. 

Yup, my gripe as well. 

I wouldn't mind if my league dropped secondary assists or decided they would only track goals. Either way, if you're doing it, do it right. 

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'll be honest, I've been scorekeeping for 21 years now, and you can only be as accurate, in most cases, as the Ref cares to be. I scorekeep High School level and half the time I'm not truly paying full attention. I go by what the ref is telling me the goals and assists are. Most times I'll be lucky they give 1 assist and half the time its probably not accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRupp13 said:

I'll be honest, I've been scorekeeping for 21 years now, and you can only be as accurate, in most cases, as the Ref cares to be. I scorekeep High School level and half the time I'm not truly paying full attention. I go by what the ref is telling me the goals and assists are. Most times I'll be lucky they give 1 assist and half the time its probably not accurate.

Fair point. 

2 hours ago, CRupp13 said:

this is true. I'm the head scorekeeper for my league and when I'm working a game I'll only correct the ref if I know for a fact that he got the wrong numbers and I NEVER give them a hard time about it. try watching a game of 2 teams that you don't know and see how often you get that second assist. oh, and be trying to skate and officiate a game at the same time 🙂

Edited by shoeshine boy
  • Like 1

I don't particularly care about goals/assists, even though our league keeps them and posts them online. I will say though that I appreciate as a defenseman when we're recognized for assists on nice breakout passes. Earlier this season I made a breakout pass from in front of our goal line, off the boards and right on to the tape of our leading scorer at the opposing blue line. The ref actually skated down to our bench and asked who made that pass, because he wanted to make sure we got the assist for such a nice play. I really appreciated that. Playing D, we don't get much "glory," so you take what you can get. That's also why I silently keep track of my plus/minus each game, just as a small way to know what kind of game I'm having that night. If we win 7-2, and I'm a +6, I leave the game feeling pretty good that our D pairing contributed to the win even if we had no recorded points.

• Like 1

I recently switched leagues just due to cost. In my first game at the new place we won 7-1. It was a total ass beating. Next morning I check the website and it says we lost 5-6 in OT with no individual stats posted at all. Eventually they "fixed" it to say we won 7-1 in OT...still no individual stats entered a week later. LOL. 

I started driving a little further to this place because they offer a monthly subscription instead of giant up front league fees. At the end of the day I'm paying about 1/3 the price for leagues, but obviously you get what you pay for. I keep telling myself that getting credit isn't important. I'm there for the love of the game and cheap pricing. 😀

First game of this season I had one goal and three assists. I got credited for one goal and one assist on the sheet. Game 2 I had 0 goals and 1 assist, but got credited for 2 assists. Last game I had two and one, and got credited for 2 and 1. The only common denominator here is in all three cases I was never contacted by NHL scouts and I still had to just live my life the next day.

its just beer league, you’re never going to get consistent refs. Just have fun

• Like 1